Factory heated grips < $100

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ionbeam- thanks for the link, I just ordered a set- I can't wait to wire them up!!! Seems to be lots of good directions on this board so once I get them I am sure I'll be back on here for some more questions!!!

Thanks to all !!!!

Quick question (I'm at work). I have a mechanic puting on the Honda grips on my 2006A, and he says the bar ends won't fit. Did anybody have to machine the ends or alter them in any way to get the stock bar ends on the handlebar??

TIA.

Any ideas about using a cheap set of universal grip heaters adapted to a Gerbings temp. control.

Could use stock grips or any grips you prefer. Won't have the OEM look but will function just the same.

Should be around $100. New grips not included. Wiring a little more difficult, but not that much more.

Just a new idea.

Any ideas about using a cheap set of universal grip heaters adapted to a Gerbings temp. control. Could use stock grips or any grips you prefer. Won't have the OEM look but will function just the same.

Should be around $100. New grips not included. Wiring a little more difficult, but not that much more.

Just a new idea.
I just put Dual Star grip heaters on my bike with the BMW sports grips. I am using one outlet from my Gerbing dual controller. Grips heaters cost $40, plus $9 for a throttle side grip to put on the clutch side over the heat shrink tubing that blocks heat transfer from the grip heater to the aluminum bar. Already had the Gerbing controller. Seems to work fine.

Great. I thought this might work.

I'll try it when temps. get colder. I have a dual cotroller.

Time to RIDE. It's been a long winter. NE. PA.

Quick question (I'm at work). I have a mechanic puting on the Honda grips on my 2006A, and he says the bar ends won't fit. Did anybody have to machine the ends or alter them in any way to get the stock bar ends on the handlebar??
TIA.
I've reviewed the threads & questions. So my question comes down to: is the Honda a "plug and play" on the FJR or do "things" have to be altered (like the question above). I know the Honda if installing on an ST, requires a wiring accessory harness. Is that necessary on the FJR?

TIA +1

TIA.
I've reviewed the threads & questions. So my question comes down to: is the Honda a "plug and play" on the FJR or do "things" have to be altered (like the question above). I know the Honda if installing on an ST, requires a wiring accessory harness. Is that necessary on the FJR?

TIA +1
The Honda heated grips are not plug & play. No additional wiring harness is necessary, but the plug from the Honda grips is different from the Yamaha connector. You have to eliminate one.

You won't be sorry if you decide to go with the Honda set, they get real hot & have a memory setting that if you don't manually shut them off before you shut the bike down they will restart at the same setting after you restart the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
ps ... If you want to get some FJR goodies that are only available in Canada & Europe, let me know and I can give you my dealer's number. I/We can install them for you here in Halifax if you want. Things like the color matched foot guards, TOG's etc....
pics of mine:

4d002c5c.jpg

6fffac06.jpg
Im very interested in a set of these for my 06, How much are they?

ps ... If you want to get some FJR goodies that are only available in Canada & Europe, let me know and I can give you my dealer's number. I/We can install them for you here in Halifax if you want. Things like the color matched foot guards, TOG's etc....
pics of mine:

4d002c5c.jpg

6fffac06.jpg
Hey UPSMAN,

What does this have to do with heated grips?

Hey UPSMAN,
No doubt!

The Honda heated grips are not plug & play. No additional wiring harness is necessary, but the plug from the Honda grips is different from the Yamaha connector. You have to eliminate one.
You won't be sorry if you decide to go with the Honda set, they get real hot & have a memory setting that if you don't manually shut them off before you shut the bike down they will restart at the same setting after you restart the bike.
Thanks War Machine.

Does anyone know of a thread that has the complete instructions or step by step to install the Honda Grips? I'm no mechanic/electrician, but I'm pretty decent at following instructions!!

TIA Again

Does anyone know of a thread that has the complete instructions or step by step to install the Honda Grips? I'm no mechanic/electrician, but I'm pretty decent at following instructions!!
TIA Again
There was a thread with pictures, but I can't find it again.

I used Honda heated grips off a ST. They come with a nifty controller that looks very nice and cuts off to protect your battery charging if you're drawing too much current. They are similar to the Yami setup except they are not speed dependent and they aren't plug -n- play. Do a search for Honda heated grips and you'll find a previous post with pictures and instructions.

They work great and have given me no problems in the 8 months they've been installed (other than a problem I induced myself - don't use power or ground from the factory heated grip connectors). Because my hands are very easily chilled, I also added the Vstrom handguards for complete hand comfort in temps down to the mid 20's.

If you want the Honda grips softer, you can easily add grip puppies, which are foam sleeves that slip over any grip. I believe I got mine at casporttouring.com.

pics of mine:

4d002c5c.jpg

6fffac06.jpg
Hey UPSMAN,

Look at post #3 and you will see!!

Hi Folks.
I wouldn't imagine there would be a issue with aftermarket bar ends as you just have to make up the space difference between the physical end of the handlebars and the grip end. What ever bar end you use will dictate how many spacers you use. It's a 6mm bolt that you need to use.

Cheers

Nflyer

This is a great thread - just the information I need. Unfortunately the website for the supplier is no longer up (or the link is broken). Can anyone tell me where to obtain the kit? If it's a Canadian supplier I will be in Whitehorse next week and could look for it there.

Paulie

Browsing around the internet , I came across these little beauties: supplier site

1763.jpg

What struck me was how similar they looked to the factory units:

5jw-w0792-00-500.jpg

HELP! I have not been able to find any information on the supplier of these nifty units. The links are broken and/or the pages are down. Can anyone put me in contact with the supplier? I was just quoted $387 for the factory grips! YIKES!

HELP! Can anyone put me in touch with NovaFlyer's supplier for these grips? The webpage from a couple of years ago seems to be gone. current price for factory is $387. YIKES!

paulie, your BigBike Parts link is broken but I think you are looking at grips like this: (clickable pic)

If so, this grip kit is sold at brand motorcycle shops via their Parts America catalog. Usually the price is in the $70 range and they are listed as Goldwing grip heaters.

Living in Alaska you do not want these grips. I've written a review on this grip kit that includes an electrical analysis, you may want to do a search. The Reader's Digest Condensed version is -- these grips are low power and will not generate the kind of heat you will want.

If you don't want to bend over for spend the ridiculous amount of money for Yamaha grips you should look into heat tapes and a Heat Troller. The heat tapes will generate all the heat any good kit will produce, plus, you can select and install the grips of your choice.

Edited:

I see that paulie's link in his 03:21 PM post is actually quoted from NovaFlyer's opening post two years ago. paulie, BigBike has changed P/Ns but still carry the cheap grips, click my grip pic to go to their site. I DO NOT recommend this grip kit. The grips are half the power they should be and the controller is not a pulse width modulator, it is a BANG-BANG power spiker.

I see that paulie's link in his 03:21 PM post is actually quoted from NovaFlyer's opening post two years ago. paulie, BigBike has changed P/Ns but still carry the cheap grips, click my grip pic to go to their site. I DO NOT recommend this grip kit. The grips are half the power they should be and the controller is not a pulse width modulator, it is a BANG-BANG power spiker.

Thanks, Ionbeam. After pondering the options, realizing my limitations as an electrician, and finding out that the Honda equivalent is around $300 now, I decided to suck it up and buy the factory grips. OUCH!

Paulie

Thank, Ionbeam. After pondering the options, realizing my limitations as an electrician, and finding out that the Honda equivalent is over $300 now, I decided to suck it up for the factory Yamaha grips. OUCH!

Paulie

Thank, Ionbeam. After pondering the options, realizing my limitations as an electrician, and finding out that the Honda equivalent is over $300 now, I decided to suck it up for the factory Yamaha grips. OUCH!
Paulie
Paulie,

Just so you have all the info needed to make your decision, The Honda heated grips kit is available for $181 here: Honda Direct :rolleyes:

my question is - are the yamaha heated grips any good? are they designed for easy (good looking) install?

i don't mind paying more for them (over the honda) if it is a really good product - and especially if they are plug and play ready!

thx/ al

Latest posts