Factory spec oem tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LgFJR

Reaction score
I had the good fortune to have a retired died in the wool Yamaha guy do the valve check and adjust a couple months ago. He had started out as a mechanic 35 years ago and he just did a bike once in a while now for grins, and because he still likes turning a wrench. He ended up in the Exec ranks and finally had the plum job of setting up those product rides with journalists, where they take 2 or 3 days of fine roads and hotels and get familiar with Mama Yams latest stuff. He was a ball to talk to and is an encyclopedia on Yamaha, and he said he knew about the new 2013 in 2009. Anyway......for some reason I asked him about tires and expected a short answer. Instead he launched into a passionate minutes long explanation of all the thousands of hours that Yamaha spent fine tuning the exact perfect tire for each bike.....and I immediately knew this was his pet peeve. He made it very clear in his book if you messed with anything other than OEM on your bike you were messing with the very sacred writings of all the engineers at Yamaha and you deserved to die. If he only knew about the tire sacrileges I had committed over the years on all kinds of bikes he probably would have set my FJR on fire.............lol.............so there ya go............a voice from the factory on tires.........fwiw........all of you in the mongol hordes out there changing tires be warned.....................I really like the 190/55 I just put on by the way..............
rolleyes.gif

So, the Yamaha engineers spend all this time to get the perfect OEM tire to bring out the perfect performance of the FJR. Then the POS tire manufacturers obsolete the OEM tire that was qualified for the bike. This means our beloved FJRs will never be able to perform up to design specifications. Yamaha needs to sue the tire companies for evolving and improving. :lol: ;)

Sounds like an interesting guy.

If you get the chance, ask him if those same engineers are the ones who designed the 'world class' suspension for the FJR that never needs upgrading.

Oh.... and the windshield and the seat.
smile.png

Thanks.

Al.

So, the Yamaha engineers spend all this time to get the perfect OEM tire to bring out the perfect performance of the FJR. Then the POS tire manufacturers obsolete the OEM tire that was qualified for the bike. This means our beloved FJRs will never be able to perform up to design specifications. Yamaha needs to sue the tire companies for evolving and improving.
laugh.png
wink.png
Exactly!...........lol.........

Tell this jerkoff the Yamaha engineers surely screwed the pooch on their cam chain tensioner design, okay?
The Cam Chain Tensioner design for the POS Gen I was done right after the 10 sake lunch break.
'fitter, don't wanna burst your (or anyone else's) bubble, but the Gen I design is exactly the same on the Gen II and Gen III.

tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...BOOM!!!

'fitter, don't wanna burst your (or anyone else's) bubble, but the Gen I design is exactly the same on the Gen II and Gen III.

tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...BOOM!!!
The design was updated in 08 I believe to the "blue dot" tensioner but the basic concept of using spring tension did not change. There have been no failures with the new tensioner that I am aware of but springs are known to sack out over time.

It might be a good preventative measure to consider the tensioner a wear item and replace it every third valve check perhaps.

The problem with fixed tensioners from my perspective is that most folks don't adjust them correctly which can lead to excessive cam chain wear. If you cause too much wear on the crank end socket you get to replace the entire crank. Not a job I want to do. Spending a $100 in parts every 100,000 km is cheap insurance in my book.

Last edited by a moderator: