Fairlaners,the long way down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
As most of you know Richard has one of the new 13's so when he posted up his tech day/open house I decided I needed to check out this bike and meet many of the SoCal forum members for the first time. With Northern Ca having record breaking rainfall it was really up to the weather if I would go.

It's 460 miles interstate miles from my house to Fairlaners. That's Babyshit easy, so with having a good time and a couple extra days I planed a route that would keep me dry out in the deserts of south eastern Ca where I could ride Joshua Tree Nat. Park and loop south through Palm Desert and the Ortega Highway on my way to the open house.

IMG_0427_zpsa0e87ebe.jpg

OK it seems we have a theme here for both Thursday start at home and Friday from Ridgecrest, nice toasty riding temperature. This would be the first real chilly ride on my Wing that replaced my totaled 04 Feejeer. Heated seats and grips were a welcomed friend on this ride.

IMG_0390_zps19709126.jpg

Jack was dressed to go.

After 300 miles of Hwy 99 I finally get to turn left on Hwy 155 east toward lake Isabella and the dry Mojave Desert beyond. This was a really fun swoopy road through the foothills but having never been on this road I was hoping there would be no high elevation pass-wrong.

IMG_0388_zps9cbb74d8.jpg

Started to see the white death as I passed climbed up to what ended up being Greenhorn Pass at 6,102 feet. About the 5,000 foot level the road became packed snow and ice but thanks to the Kern County road dept. and their heavy sanding I was able to let the 100+ lbs of torque flat 6 motor propel the wing up and down snow covered grades of up to 13 %. It was a section of road that I averaged between 10-20 mph, perhaps the hardest part was remembering to breathe regular.

IMG_0398_zps345be5a6.jpg

After the pass I was rewarded with this nice view toward the desert.

IMG_0422_zps892a7365.jpg

It was a bit chilly down in the desert at 4pm but in an hour I would be at the hotel in beautiful Ridgecrest, Ca just outside China Lake Navel Weapons Station. It was warm and dry in my room and that was just fine after a chilly ride. Tomorrow would bring a 3 hour ride down to Joshua Tree Park.

IMG_0470_zps26a1ec89.jpg

This would be my first ride through the Park from the north to the south direction. Joshua Trees were named by the early Morman pioneers but they are in the Lilly family of plants. Part of what makes the park so unique is that half way through, the park transitions from a Mojave desert to a warmer, dryer Colorado Desert.

IMG_0488_zps16ea60a9.jpg

IMG_0505_zps8ad7b5bb.jpg

Plenty of cactus to to look at along the way...

IMG_0512_zpsd9009e92.jpg

After leaving the park with it's slow 40 mph roads and crossing the I- 10 freeway into Box Canyon it was time to have some fun. This is a great road with the Smoke trees and some spirited riding before heading into the Palm desert area. Those 65 degree temps had me pealing some layers before getting to town.

IMG_0533_zps2fab09c0.jpg

Saturday morning plan was to ride Highway 74 over to the coast and to Richards for pizza at 12:30. Hwy 74 from Palm Desert has a great twisty climb and then this...more damn snow here too.

IMG_0535_zps982d6f22.jpg

Lucky for me the road did not climb that high but it did stay chilly at 34 for quite some time. This area of southern Ca was much like our eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mts.

IMG_0545_zps08b32cca.jpg

Finally I see what looks like the TV version of southern California. Palm trees and red tile roofs.

IMG_0559_zps5cec49d2.jpg

I stopped for a view of Lake Elsinore before my first ride across the well know Ortega Highway. "Well known for squids on 2 and 4 wheels" and I had been warned to stay right - stay alive. No doubt being a Saturday morning was not the most ideal time but other than a few rocky racers in cages I let around me it was a nice ride

IMG_0567_zps7209891f.jpg

As promised Richard had Pizza and lots of FJR types around to handle any high tech drinking problems. I had fun meeting the SoCal gang. Putting faces to names is always an adventure plus Trent let me take his new 1600 Beemer for a spin around the block. I really should have gone several hundred miles for a proper evaluation but it was meeting and visiting with the all the great people that made the day.

IMG_0566_zps08a415c2.jpg

No doubt our resident Tubro Dave had the most well equipped LD FJR in the group. It was great to see him again, last time was a few years back when I bumped into him at Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley.

Richard was kind enough to let me crash on his couch so it was time to have a few adult beverages and enjoy dinner at Tony Rama's down the street followed up by eating Duff's birthday cake that FJRchick bought to Richards. A good time(and a few more beverages) was had by all who were able to hang out at Richards. Johnny 80's and I did have a snore off during the night but it's still unclear who won.

Sunday morning was time to don the rain gear in preparation for a 460 mile ride up interstates 5 and 80 toward home. Rain was a waiting my return to Northern Ca. I should interject on Friday evening while checking the forecast for the LA basin there was a special weather alert from NOAA. It warned of up to .15 inches of rain expected Saturday night.

.15 ?? Are you people brave or what. I was rolling in laughter, we get that in 15 minutes up north.

Well Sunday's ride home included a monster tail wind which allowed the Hippo to get over 40 mpg at 80 mph -nice. Then about 3 hours from home the heavens opened up and I was able to discover what the wing could do in the wet. I believe I named the Hippo quite appropirately as this bike handled the wind and rain with ease. The drive in movie screen size front end kept me sheltered (somewhat) from the monsoon rain and the 900# girth keep it stuck to the road through Lake Erie size puddles on the freeway. Cruising at 70 was cake and in the 45 degree temps the heated grips were my friend.

It was a nice 1,475 mile 4 winter days ride. Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you found some warmth somewhere in the state, neighbor. Ain't this rain and snow fun now that you're back? I had almost an inch of snow on my deck last evening before it started raining on it again. I've lived in real cold -- but WET and cold is another, and it's been WET and a few degrees above freezing this whole month -- depressing.

Glad you found some warmth somewhere in the state, neighbor. Ain't this rain and snow fun now that you're back? I had almost an inch of snow on my deck last evening before it started raining on it again. I've lived in real cold -- but WET and cold is another, and it's been WET and a few degrees above freezing this whole month -- depressing.

Welcome to the Midwest
rolleyes.gif

Good to see someone is stll riding.

Thanks for that Doug.

Sounds like a nice ride Doug...except the white-knuckle portion up & over 155. No fun there!

Thanks for sharing the trip with us rain / snow / cold-bound folks.

--G

Yeah, record rainfall is no fun but it makes for a good day to do a ride report.

Well, well... lookie who's doing a big kid ride report!
wink.png
Sounds like you and Hilda are getting along quite nicely...
cool.png
She's quite the dancer Tyler. Sure had a great time visiting with you and I loved Jill's singing.

Did you see the ghost in the little Cactus pic?

Yeah, record rainfall is no fun but it makes for a good day to do a ride report.

Well, well... lookie who's doing a big kid ride report!
wink.png
Sounds like you and Hilda are getting along quite nicely...
cool.png
She's quite the dancer Tyler. Sure had a great time visiting with you and I loved Jill's singing.

Did you see the ghost in the little Cactus pic?
:lol: Had to go back and look... it's a fuzzy ghost!!! :lol:

I had an 06 Goldwing Titanium color like yours and can really say it was a fantastic bike.

It was a amazing bike in the winter months, with its big fairing and windshield to protect you from the wind, also the heated grips and seat made things very comfortable.

The Goldwing is a spectacular bike for long distance touring.

Thank you for the pictures, I really like them and especially the cactus :)

Thanks Doug. Great ride report and nice pics.

I was confused by the first pic. As I've never seen a Goldwing dash, I thought you were doing the trip in a Honda Civic
smile.png

Al
cold.gif

Doug,

Nice RR and pictures, it was great meeting you at Richard's

Great report man!

You making Hooterville in the fall? Now that you're the Big Dog RR maniac...we need someone with midwestern stuff to ride to Hooterville in October and give a proper write up.

See you there?

Great report man!

You making Hooterville in the fall? Now that you're the Big Dog RR maniac...we need someone with midwestern stuff to ride to Hooterville in October and give a proper write up.

See you there?
And how can I explain to Gayle that Hooterville does not involve Hooters
whistle.gif

Nice RR Dougie! I won't poke any fun on you cause you ride a Wing.

Afterall , I ride an FJR and stayed home.

.15 too much for CBA prez... :)

Ok dude this ride report is over. I have a fucking headache so get out. I wanna go to bed.

And I totally won the snoring contest...

I dunno Dougie, driving a bike with a dash that looks like it belongs in a Prius and no FJR content until midway down the RR, I'm thinking you need to put a set of Yamaha Tuning Forks on your dash to stay in good graces with the Admins here. BTW, what the hell do those numbered wheels on either side of your ign key do, raise/lower the heat range for each cheek on your heated seat?

BTW, nice RR and kudos for braving the monsoon...