Farkling begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODSarge

Reaction score
With GPS and iPod mounts due in Monday, I decided to go ahead and tackle the wiring. The TomTom came with it's own power cable, but I needed to find a power/audio connector for the iPod that used the dock connector. I ended up using a Griffin power/audio adapter, but it ended in a cigarette lighter plug and had a relatively short cable. I ended up running a cigarette outlet from the Bluesea fuse box and meeting the iPod cable right under the tank skirt. A tight fit, but it made it. Next will be the Starcom and Datel meter...

The end of the cigarette lighter outlet under the tank skirt:

bikepower-1.jpg

The Bluesea fusebox under the passenger seat:

bikepower-2.jpg

I tapped into the rear brake light power for the relay trigger in the wiring harness before I read about the suggestion to tap into the connector... oh well.

bikepower-3.jpg

Bluesea fuse box with cover on (barely fits under seat, but fits):

bikepower-4.jpg

If I wired it wrong, it may well become an IED! :unsure:

I need to tidy up that wiring a bit and correct one big boo-boo that I didn't think about until looking at these pics... moving that in-line fuse up to the battery, rather than way back here. I'm a wee-todd. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I wired it wrong, it may well become an IED! :unsure:
I need to tidy up that wiring a bit and correct one big boo-boo that I didn't think about until looking at these pics... moving that in-line fuse up to the battery, rather than way back here. I'm a wee-todd. :dribble:
Looks good - I wired up my Harley but have yet to do the FJR for various farkles. Waiting on a weekend when I'm not going to be out riding (which thankfully never seems to come!).

One (minor) suggestion - you may want to consider shrinkwrap on future connections. Helps hold the connections tight and keeps out moisture.

Congrats on getting the bike all set up and ride safe!

Got the mounts today, so on they went. I need a better torque wrench. I'd have liked to have run the power cables behind the triple tree, but they weren't really long enough- and that iPod cable was barely long enough to reach where it did and not bind up when the bars are turned. I don't like to add extra connections in cable runs; but I guess if it bugs me enough I'll lengthen the power cables. From the seated position, nothing's obstructing the gauges.

bikemounts.jpg

Sarge: next time (or a redo), 2 suggestions:

1) If you can, solder and shrink. No worries about moisture. If you can't solder, use THESE

2) I'm a big fan of relays with diodes. Something like THIS is cheap insurance, IMHO. Look for the R-50ASD.

Thanks for the suggestions... I did shrink tube the relay connections, then couldn't find my stash of shrink tube when I ran out of what little I had. Were the underseat trays in older FJR's different? I've seen some pics of other bluesea installs that looked like they fit a lot better; those two molded in raised rails make it hard to fit anything there.

Yep, my 05 fit the bluesea WAY better. I ended up using terminal blocks -- the bluesea doesn't fit real well with the McCruise computer and vacuum can under the seats.

I tapped into the rear brake light power for the relay trigger in the wiring harness before I read about the suggestion to tap into the connector... oh well.
bikepower-3.jpg

Hmmmm, what is this 'suggestion' you are referring to?

Going to start me electrical wiring in a few days!

thx

Scott

Well, now I can't remember which post it was. I think I found it with a search.

Took my roommate to the same dealer I bought the FJR from, Cycle Nation in Braselton. He rode out of there on a new GSX-R600. He threatens to walk away from me as soon as the breakin period is over... we shall see. <_< I also added the farkle I should have added from the very first- frame sliders, from OEM. While I was at the dealer I picked up a mesh jacket, and man, after 20 years of riding in a leather jacket, what a difference it makes during a Georgia summer. He wants to go to Cycle Gear tomorrow, so I'll browse their boots and helmets to update my aging ones- My Fulmer modular is getting a bit long in the tooth, and whistles waaaay too much.

I find their gear selection lacking. Might check NewEnough...

Well, now I can't remember which post it was. I think I found it with a search.
Took my roommate to the same dealer I bought the FJR from, Cycle Nation in Braselton. He rode out of there on a new GSX-R600. He threatens to walk away from me as soon as the breakin period is over... we shall see. <_< I also added the farkle I should have added from the very first- frame sliders, from OEM. While I was at the dealer I picked up a mesh jacket, and man, after 20 years of riding in a leather jacket, what a difference it makes during a Georgia summer. He wants to go to Cycle Gear tomorrow, so I'll browse their boots and helmets to update my aging ones- My Fulmer modular is getting a bit long in the tooth, and whistles waaaay too much.

I was surprised; they actually had the three models I was looking at. I ended up going with the Nolan N102; and picked up some mesh pants to go with the jacket.

bikepower-3.jpg

Hmmmm, what is this 'suggestion' you are referring to?

Going to start me electrical wiring in a few days!

thx

Scott

He was was talking about the switch on the relay that turns on and off the power block. the wire needs to go to a factory wire that only becomes hot when the ignition key is turned on, that is why he tapped into the brake light positive wire. the FJR has a wire instaled that you do not need to tap into. it is behind the dash near the battery. I just did this instal as well, I used the universal fuse block

https://www.electricalconnection.com/power-...tion/pplate.htm

I used the universal.

Last edited by a moderator: