favorite high milage tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeckel

Reaction score
I need to change tires on my 08 FFJR. Currently using Michellin Pilot Roads. Looking to change, well, just to try something different. What is your favorite high milage tire. Bike is used mainly as my daily commuter, but I am taking a trip from Texas to the Enchanted Circle in New Mexico in August. Just waanted to get some knowledgable feedback from people who have experience with different tires. Maybe just the name of the tire and a brief explanation of what you like and don't like about them. Thanks.

You will get tons of members favorites I'm sure, but I likey what you had, so either PR2 or PR3 if you do more wet weather riding.

yebbut, that is so 2011.
biggrin.png

I've been a long time user of PR2s, good high mileage tire, but am road testing BT-023s to see if they are stickier.

PR2 fronts feel great when new...but handling requires lots of bar force in last 50% of tire...along with a vague feeling that makes you think the front is gonna washout.

Good long lasting tire if mileage is your goal and not roasting the corners for the last 50% of your tire life.

I like the 023-GTs. But at 7k miles, they are starting to show uneven wear like the 021's that came factory. I'll probably try the PR's next.

I like the 023-GTs. But at 7k miles, they are starting to show uneven wear like the 021's that came factory. I'll probably try the PR's next.
Big difference. The front '021 is horrible for more than half its life.
The '023 does scallop, but still rides true, right until it's illegal to use further (that's in the UK, just touching the wear bars).

At least, that's my experience.

I run the shinko raven tires. been thru many other sets on the FJR, but they get more mileage and even tradewear, and for the price, I find them hard to beat. I can still drag pegs, and get between 10-12k out of a rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the shinko raven tires. been thru many other sets on the FJR, but they get more mileage and even tradewear, and for the price, I find them hard to beat. I can still drag pegs, and get between 10-12k out of a rear.
You're one of the few that have given positive reviews to the Shinkos for grip. I've usually only hear bad things about them...in strong language.

Just curious, how much does a set run?

Can't vouch for their use on the FJR, but they stick pretty well on the VFR.

And I haven't (or I should say that my son, who is the new owner of my VFR, hasn't) worn them out yet so can't give mileage help either.

PR2's for me. 10-12K on a set. I haven't noted any difficult "bar" turning @ 5K with the fronts as I lean then counter steer just a bit. 90% commuter wear too

I used up a couple sets of Shinko's on mine. Didn't think much of the feel of the front but it never was a problem. They lasted well and worked in the rain. I think they have a new one out now. Probably try it just for grins.

I got 16K+ miles out of the PR2s, but I hated the way they felt from day 1. Running PR3s right now, with almost 8K miles on them and they felt great from the start. Got pretty good mileage out of the Storm IIs and they felt pretty good, too. Angels ST felt great, but only got 8K out of them.

You're one of the few that have given positive reviews to the Shinkos for grip. I've usually only hear bad things about them...in strong language.

Mark, they are about $100 less than a set of PR2's...but I would never put them back on my bike...did not like them at all in the twisties.

<p>I get close to 5,000 miles out of a set of PR2s which for me is fantastic. The grip has always been fantastic and the feel is second to none. These tires just feel good and do not scallop or cup. I have not tried the PR3s, but am told they do not last as long, so I just spooned on another set of PR2s this past weekend. I rode these tires to the wear bars and they never gave me pause and felt great to the end. Basically one set a year, so no chance of the tires getting hard.</p>

Mark, they are about $100 less than a set of PR2's...but I would never put them back on my bike...did not like them at all in the twisties.

I got a set of Shinko Ravens on the VFR when it was returned to me (after the big WR250 trade-o-rama fiasco)

My son now owns and rides that bike but when I rode it with them on there they handled and stuck OK on the lighter Honda.

I think for the big Bertha FJR I'd stick with either the PR2's, PR3's, BT023GTs or Pirelli Angels. I don't really see too many other good choices out there.

BTW - I don't believe the Pirellis actually last longer than those others I mentioned. That link reads like an Italian advertisement and they don't even say who they were comparing it to.

I've got a PR3 on the back with a PR2 on the front. I like the feel of the PR3 better than the 2. I'll probably try a 3 on the front next. I hate the buzz u

you get from the 2 during the 2k to 4k miles part of the tire's life.

I've got a PR3 on the back with a PR2 on the front. I like the feel of the PR3 better than the 2. I'll probably try a 3 on the front next. I hate the buzz u you get from the 2 during the 2k to 4k miles part of the tire's life.
Interesting, I never noticed that. Are you a "leaner" or a "scenery-er"?