Fender bolt mount for auxiliary lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
I've been looking at threads on auxiliary lights and have seen pictures of a fender bolt mount that was obtained from Cycle Gadgets but they no longer sell them. Cycle Gadgets provided me w/ the name of the supplier - Martin Fabrication - but I don't see that Martin Fabrication offers them separate from their light kits. While I'm waiting for a reply from Martin I thought I'd see if anyone knew of other fender bolt mounts I might look at? Thanks

drmj86 I was looking for those too and couldn't find anything either.

The motolights escapefjrtist are thoroughly discussed here on the forum. To my knowledge they don't just sell the mounts and even if they did I am not sure what would fit.

Good luck, I'll be watching this thread.

motolights mount either to the fork or by bolting them to the brake caliper, not by the fender bolt.

The actual mounting hardware is not a separate unit but is an integral part of the light. I don't think they can help you if you're trying to mount someone else's lights.

Can you tell us what you're trying to hook up? There's probably someone around here with a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
motolights mount either to the fork or by bolting them to the brake caliper, not by the fender bolt.
The actual mounting hardware is not a separate unit but is an integral part of the light. I don't think they can help you if you're trying to mount someone else's lights.

Can you tell us what you're trying to hook up? There's probably someone around here with a good idea.
I was looking at the Lazer Stars recommended by Motorcycle Consumer News as a "Best Buy" in their December '08 review. I saw a post on this forum by Patriot who had these light mounted using a fender bolt mount he got from Cycle Gadgets. Cycle Gadgets no longer sells the mount but Martin Fabricating responded to me today that they would sell the mounts separate from their lights for $55 including shipping. I'm not necessarily married to the Lazer Star lights but do respect MCNs opinion on these sort of things. I've looked at Motolights but it seems people believe they are only good for conspicuity not providing real lighting. I've looked at PIAAs but am turned off by the cost. As has been pointed out by someone on this forum Trail Tech sells a light that appears nearly identical to the PIAAs at 40% less but the may just be Chinese knock-offs of poor quality. I'm not looking for lighting that will strip paint off the side of buildings at night but would like to light things up a bit more in front of me at night and be more conspicuous during the day. Anyone have the Trail Tech PIAA-like lights and care to comment on their quality?

I don't have any information on the Trail Techs, but I have a pair of the Platinum Burners mounted near the mirrors via a Gerauld bracket. I would like to mount a second pair down low like you. I like the Plats. They can't be beaten for the price, especially for "marker" lights.

Here's Web Bike World's write-up on them: https://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/platinu...driving-lights/

WalMart also carries smaller, 35W lights if you don't like the size of the Platinum Burners.

I can't help you with the bolt, but I can vouch for the Lazer Star lights. I have a pair of their HID bullet lights on my quad, and am very happy with the amount of light they put out. I was fortunate enough to meet Ron (Lazer Star's owner), and he really stands behind his product.

I was looking at the Lazer Stars recommended by Motorcycle Consumer News as a "Best Buy" in their December '08 review. I saw a post on this forum by Patriot who had these light mounted using a fender bolt mount he got from Cycle Gadgets. Cycle Gadgets no longer sells the mount but Martin Fabricating responded to me today that they would sell the mounts separate from their lights for $55 including shipping. I'm not necessarily married to the Lazer Star lights but do respect MCNs opinion on these sort of things. I've looked at Motolights but it seems people believe they are only good for conspicuity not providing real lighting. I've looked at PIAAs but am turned off by the cost. As has been pointed out by someone on this forum Trail Tech sells a light that appears nearly identical to the PIAAs at 40% less but the may just be Chinese knock-offs of poor quality. I'm not looking for lighting that will strip paint off the side of buildings at night but would like to light things up a bit more in front of me at night and be more conspicuous during the day. Anyone have the Trail Tech PIAA-like lights and care to comment on their quality?
The Motolights are actually very bright. The reason that they don't toss a lot of light down the road is the low mounting position, not the light. If getting more light down the road is really your goal, I'd skip the fender mount too and put them higher, using something like Garauld's brackets. Just IMHO.