Final drive tools

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvin

Reaction score
Hello, I am about to undertake the teardown of my final drive for installation of Royal Star Venture gearing. In researching the project it appears that one of our forum members (Gearman) has generously made a set of special tools that are essential to the job. He sent them out to the universe. This was back in 2009. If these tools are floating around and your project is complete, could you let me know?
Thanks

The Royal Star Venture gear ratio reduces RPM's 10%. The final drives are not interchangeable but the ring and pinion are from the one to the other.
Thinking of getting a RSV final drive and swapping the gears. But some tools are required and the pinion holder tool is really expensive.
This mod has been done by others but the guy that was best known for doing it passed away in 2023. I would be happy to pay someone to do this mod for me but I don't know where to look or who to ask. If anyone here can help I would be grateful.
My bike is a 2006 A

The Royal Star Venture gear ratio reduces RPM's 10%. The final drives are not interchangeable but the ring and pinion are from the one to the other.
Thinking of getting a RSV final drive and swapping the gears. But some tools are required and the pinion holder tool is really expensive.
This mod has been done by others but the guy that was best known for doing it passed away in 2023. I would be happy to pay someone to do this mod for me but I don't know where to look or who to ask. If anyone here can help I would be grateful.
My bike is a 2006 A
Sounds fun, but seems like a lot of work for a bike that is pretty happy at 100mph for hours.

I did this mod 10 yrs ago and I absolutely love it and I had it done by the guy who has since passed. I simply did not like the gearing on my '05... always looking for another gear. Just my personal preference to have the engine spinning a little slower and the GEN1 bikes have the shortest gearing of all FJRs. GEN2 bikes have a different middle gear ratio (~2% taller) and the GEN3+ six speeds are completely different... but they all share the same FD ratio. Interestingly, the RSV guys like the FJR gears to INCREASE the revs by 10% which helps when heavily loaded/two up etc...
Good luck to the OP!
Mr. BR

I did this mod 10 yrs ago and I absolutely love it and I had it done by the guy who has since passed. I simply did not like the gearing on my '05... always looking for another gear. Just my personal preference to have the engine spinning a little slower and the GEN1 bikes have the shortest gearing of all FJRs. GEN2 bikes have a different middle gear ratio (~2% taller) and the GEN3+ six speeds are completely different... but they all share the same FD ratio. Interestingly, the RSV guys like the FJR gears to INCREASE the revs by 10% which helps when heavily loaded/two up etc...
Good luck to the OP!
Mr. BR
I too had the FD on my 2014 modified by the same man in PA. I love the mod and would not discourage anyone from doing the same. Perhaps Kevin should check with the other FJR groups to see if anyone knows sho is now able to do this mod.

Damn! I didn't know the fellow who did these passed. That is unfortunate.

I just got a cheap FD off ebay to have this mod done. Now, I am bummed. There's nobody else doing it?

How difficult is this mod and how much would a few of you pay for the work (assuming you provided all the Venture gears)??

Damn! I didn't know the fellow who did these passed. That is unfortunate.

I just got a cheap FD off ebay to have this mod done. Now, I am bummed. There's nobody else doing it?
Which one of your 99 FJR's was going to have the surgery? ;^)

Last edited:
I have a spare Venture FD sitting in my garage, I was going to upgrade my old 2005 but replace it with a Gen 3. You can have it if you pay the shipping.
Chris

Hmm, I did not know that.
I know the driveshaft is different because of the wheelbase length but I didnt know the final drive was not compatable. Any idea what is different?
Thanks

Hello, I am about to undertake the teardown of my final drive for installation of Royal Star Venture gearing. In researching the project it appears that one of our forum members (Gearman) has generously made a set of special tools that are essential to the job. He sent them out to the universe. This was back in 2009. If these tools are floating around and your project is complete, could you let me know?
Thanks
Look up Henry’s Final drives. He manufactures an overdrive final drive for Gen 5 goldwings. He might be able to do the gear swap for you. He is located in Southern California. His drives get great reviews by Goldwing Owners that hav3 them.

I know the driveshaft is different because of the wheelbase length but I didnt know the final drive was not compatable. Any idea what is different?
Thanks
Kelvin, what FD did you get from Ebay?
The Venture (RSV) Final Drive (FD) unit will not fit on your FJR (they do look similar).
What you need is the RSV GEAR-SET and those must be installed in your FJR FD case. And this is the Service that had been offered by the guy who passed last year (John Furbur @RMSportMax). He had the tools and expertise to make the swap, set the gear lash etc.
Regards,
Mr. BR

Thanks

No idea. Like you, I knew the driveshaft was different but when I went to the parts diagrams the actual final drive assembly has different part numbers between Gen I and Gen II.

Latest posts