Finally gone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the same vein, I still have my 1982 Yamaha XV920RJ that I bought new as a left over in 1986. I only ride it about 1000 miles/yr. Now has 25,000+ miles on it. Nothing done except re-shimming the starter and putting on a Plexi III fairing. With today's ethanol fuel, I now have one carb with a plugged pilot jet. Getting access to that is a nightmare!

Still and all, a very pleasant, relaxed, torquey ride.

Check out the bike on the bottom of the list below, and console yourself with the fact that I got rid of that with only 650 miles on the odometer, a night of hard partying, and a collision with a telephone box, at about 80 mph. Sometimes lessons come hard when you are young, and I have never had one drop of alcohol while riding since. That was, at the time, the fastest stock 750 being built, and those 650 miles were fun. Well, the last 100 yards sucked big time, but the rest was great! I envy you, for your 28 years!
Too bad but a great life lesson for you. You're right about it being fairly fast for is time... I remember Yamaha having an ad about Pee Wee Gleason being able do do the 1/4 in 11.99 seconds. Fast for a 750 of its day...

Congrats, STF, on the EXACT same move that I made. Although I truly love the 2008 FJR, I'd still have the Seca if she had continued to run right, and I still, after 2 years, miss her. She fit me perfectly, and it still gave me a kick in the butt when she came onto the power curve at about 3K rpms, but she had NOTHING like acceleration of the FJR, which I love! Still, after 2 yrs., and a "tilt over", I don't know that I'll ever feel as confident and secure on the FJR as I did on the Seca. . .
I hear you Beacher... The FJR is certainly the medicine for the pain and is just so much more bike in terms of performance and technology.

While I'm at it, funny comment in SCWatts post to this thread stating something like "that bike (the SECA) is the Future!" Makes me remember way way back talking with an old friend who had a 1981 Suzuki GS750E and we were looking at his bike and my Seca and us saying to each other something like "these bike are so cool, bleedy edge ... they'll NEVER look old!" Boy what 20 or so years will do to a perspective eh?

Anyway, nice jawing and reading peoples posts and thoughts about some of your vintage gems out there...

Had a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S as my first bike, just sold it last year after buying the FJR, get a little teary when I think about it, didn't need the money either.

And now I am looking at Speed Triples, I miss the handling when I ride the FJR. :fool: :angrysmiley:

CB700.jpg

Hey Moon Man,

I had a 1984 650 nighthawk that I sold a few years ago. I can understand you guys. I had her since new in April 1985. It was the first bike that I bought with my onw money. The years before I was riding my Fathers bikes. I sold her to a new rider after 21 years with me. It was sad but it was time for her to go. I bought a 2001 Bandit 1200S to replace her but I still think her. How she looks, is she still running, how well she is being looked after, etc.

Bot this sounds like an old girlfriend!!!

I'm doing it backwards. My first streetbike when I was 17 was a red 82 Seca 650. I rode the piss out of it and it was trash within 4 seasons, sadly.

This thread is a coincidence because yesterday, I found this red 82 Seca 650 gathering dust in some retired guy's garage so I snapped it up. 14000kms (9000 miles), all-original and spotless. Talk about 'all-original', the tires on this are original. Never even had a tire change. I'm getting rid of that windscreen though.

Now I just have to wait til spring to go pick it up......

Picture099.jpg

Had a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S as my first bike, just sold it last year after buying the FJR, get a little teary when I think about it, didn't need the money either.
And now I am looking at Speed Triples, I miss the handling when I ride the FJR. :fool: :angrysmiley:

CB700.jpg
I still like the looks of that one. Almost bought one back in 84, but found that the 83 GS1100E was the same price due to it being last years model. Being a speed demon, you can guess which one I bought! :D

I love my two 1980 Yamaha XS 1100G motorbikes. One I bought new in 1980 and the second, I bought 5 years ago(It had on of the orginal vintage Russell saddles on it.). both are still running but not often. great vintage bikes.

Got rid of my 1981 GS850G a few years ago. wish I hadn't
Yeah, I bet it would be long past time to reset the valves again, wrap more fiberglass sealing tape over the lower exhaust system, and replace the charging system and the battery.

I loved mine too, what a stately beast it was.

For what it s worth... I am a real saver of things so what I am about to say is so contrary. Sell unused bikes, give someone else a chance to make memories with it.

My first new bike was an '82 750 Seca. I ~loved~ that thing. It never let me down or left me stranded, and I'd buy another one as a runaround bike if I weren't spoiled by fuel injection.

My beloved '96 Seca II (650). Bought her when I re-entered the motorcycling world after a 20 year hiatus...

Click image for larger version.

Gone but not forgotten.

I still have my 82 Seca 750 I have been letting my buddy ride her she has served me well over the years. I think I will keep her as long as I can. I must say I sure love my 08 FJR what a machine

......but not forgotten.

Here is my friend of 20 wonderful years....

82YamSeca750DashLft640.jpg

82YamSeca750FrntLft640.jpg

A wonderful machine with many fond memories...then came the magnificent FJR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seca,
That is one sharp looking bike.... you sure took good care of her!
Thx...and those were recent pics. I'm glad she survived my younger years when I beat on her a little more with some burn outs, wheelies and a couple of red-line + speed runs. I'll give it to Yamaha, she served me real well and lasted... Far more reliably than my old buddy that had a comparable 1981 Suzuki GS750E.

Those were my most recent pictures (at about 35k miles) and this was AFTER hitting a deer on Mt. St Helens at 55 mph. After this, I was still able to complete my 2500 mile trip.... walking like Uncle Festus for awhile though!

You can still see the cracked front fender and there was some small cracks in the faring. I did have to replace the windshield and some turn signal lenses. The crashbars/case savers saved the day and the trip.

It was a comfortable and great design... kudo's to Yamaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were my most recent pictures (at about 35k miles) and this was AFTER hitting a deer on Mt. St Helens at 55 mph. After this, I was still able to complete my 2500 mile trip.... walking like Uncle Festus for awhile though!
You can still see the cracked front fender and there was some small cracks in the faring. I did have to replace the windshield and some turn signal lenses. The crashbars/case savers saved the day and the trip.

It was a comfortable and great design... kudo's to Yamaha.
Silver,

I can see you had a beauty yourself. I sold mine with about 31k miles. You had yours for 20 years, when did you get rid of her?

Here's a few pics of the one I sold...
Oh, I see you went with the slower color, instead of the red one I had! Well, at least it was fast until I hit that telephone box! (the speedo needle was stuck on 85, when I got the totalled wreck home)

Nice pics!

Latest posts