Finally replaced my starter yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use carb cleaner.

The brushes are worn to service limit and starting to cock in the holders. The conductive material worn off the brushes is now embedded in the slots in the commutator causing current leakage.
Ionbeam, thanks for the prompt response, so something like parts or brake cleaner is definitely a no no? I have a couple of cans of that on hand, but the carb cleaner will be pricey here.

Scooter, I'll try to take some better pics tomorrow, in the daylight as it's 3:30am here now and the lighting in my garage is not as good as I'd like.

I remember reading a comment you made about making sure to reinstall the tip-over sensor the right way up, I'm just not sure which/where the tip-over sensor is?

If all that stuff goes back on even 1/2 as easy as it came out I'll be a happy camper.

I cleaned everything up ready for reassembly (that carb cleaner works really well), some before and after shots with my crappy phone camera.

ThrottleBodiesAirboxSide.png
ThrottleBodiesEngineSide.jpg

And like has been pointed out in this thread previously by Zorlac I think, I took this opportunity to do a Valve Check, since the Valve job would never be easier than now, and amazingly after 139k miles the Valve tolerances are still in spec - have never needed any adjustment :clapping:

While waiting for the Starter parts to be delivered I figured might as well flush the brakes and clutch, install a new thermostat, Ir plugs, throttle cable (I've been meaning to change) and clean & re-oil the Uni filter.

Well, I put her back together with the new Starter Motor and Starter Relay (I didn't even end up with any "spare parts" :rolleyes: ) and the old girl fired right up like she was possessed with the Voltage only dipping to about 10.5V-11.0 momentarily vs. the old starter taking the voltage down to mid single digits and barely kicking the engine over.

Will do the TBS and oil change after work tomorrow and concentrate on clocking up some more miles ;) .

Thanks again ScotterG and Wfooshee for the two write ups depicting this area of the bike and your experiences, these really help in conjunction with the FSM.