First Fill Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsjb41

Reaction score
I just had to fill the tank for the first time after topping it off the day I bought it. I got 41.8 miles per gallon! I guess I wasn't expecting it to be that good. What is everyone getting?

Ahh heck Iggie, give the guy a break! He's on a new skoot, a new board, and he just got 41 mpg! :yahoo:

Welcome from cental Kali noobie! :lol:

I just had to fill the tank for the first time after topping it off the day I bought it. I got 41.8 miles per gallon! I guess I wasn't expecting it to be that good. What is everyone getting?
You call that good...? :unsure:

It might be -- if you were using most of the 100+ HP available? But, if you were merely using the 15 ~ 20 HP it, normally, takes to move a motorcycle down the road (at legal speed...) -- well, that's not very good. A 15 ~ 20 HP motorcycle will, generally, get double that economy.

Actually, there are cars (w/diesel engines) that routinely get that mileage and, some cars (hybrids) that get better than your FJR.

It comes down to, mainly, the FJR's (and motorcycles, in general) poor numbers in Frontal Area and Coefficient of Drag. It, the FJR (they), needs to be a whole-lot 'sleeker' to compete in mileage contests... :rolleyes:

As of today with 12,745 miles indicated on the '08:

Annual average mileage: 12,438 mi/yr

Average total mpg: 39.33 mpg w/o odo correction factor of 1.026 odo miles/gps mile

Annual average fuel costs: $930/yr

Annual average service & parts cost: $1,167/yr

Total operating expense: $5.74/day & 16.8 cents/mile

Does not include insurance costs. YMMV.

All thanks to a nifty iPhone app. called Road Trip. :agent:

Last edited by a moderator:
I get about 41.8 myself. Put 'er there, pal. ;)

But if I was riding to save gas money, I'd probably be on a 50cc scooter. I just like to fill up before I run out of gas and have to stop riding. Enjoy the bike and the forum, and for pete's sake, MEMORIZE THE RULES!!!! Maybe I'll see you down the road, but since I don't know where you are (double check the "Profile & Location" section in Iggy's link), I couldn't say.

I get about 41.8 myself. Put 'er there, pal. ;)
But if I was riding to save gas money, I'd probably be on a 50cc scooter. I just like to fill up before I run out of gas and have to stop riding. Enjoy the bike and the forum, and for pete's sake, MEMORIZE THE RULES!!!! Maybe I'll see you down the road, but since I don't know where you are (double check the "Profile & Location" section in Iggy's link), I couldn't say.
LOL! Thank Buddy...I think I have my location set now.

I've seen that good before I installed the PC-III when I was behaving myself, but now it's more like 35mpg being the hooligan I am and running crappy winter blend fuel.

I think we are back to the summer gas here in the NE.

I got 43 mpg on Tuesday (350 mile back-roads solo loop) and last fall I was only getting in the high 30's when behaving myself.