First *really* long ride, any tips?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
I'm seeking some suggestions from the more seasoned distance riders here on any tips and tricks to making a long ride enjoyable. I leave this coming Friday for my first really big ride. I'm very much looking forward to it. Here's the general itinerary.

Friday (Minneapolis, MN to South Bend, IN) - 533 miles

Saturday (South Bend, IN to Pittsburg, PA) - 365 miles

Sunday, Monday in Pittsburg

Tuesday (Pittsburg, PA to Warrenton, VA) - 252 miles

Wednesday in Warrenton

Thursday (Warrenton, VA to Pittsburg, PA by way of Blue Ridge Highway) - ~400 miles

Friday (Pittsburg, PA to Detroit, MI) - 278 miles

Saturday (Detroit, MI to Madison, WI) - 428 miles

Sunday (Madison, WI to Minneapolis, MN) - 297 miles

I'll have a rain suit and a couple of layers that I can add/subtract depending on the ambient temps. The normal cell phone, flashlight, back up cash, toolkit stuff. Most of the trip will be on superslab (unfortunately) because of timing, with the Blue Ridge Highway section as a reward in the middle. I'll probably look at picking up some Anti Monkey Butt Powder as well.

Anything else that folks recommend I take along or consider?

First, a comfortable seat. I've got a Russell Day-Long and it's da bomb.

Second, if you're going to ride in rain, you want to have This Stuff on your windshield and helmet visor. After riding for days in the rain at SFO, I will attest that it really works.

Third, if you can make time on Saturday, or have the chance on Sunday or Monday whilst in Pittsburgh to go for a day trip, divert through south-east Ohio. Look for windy roads in the Athens-ish area. 555 from Zanesville to Marietta is a popular road. Two good places to eat: the Beallsville Diner in Beallsville, OH (bring cash - they don't take plastic) and Jimbo's (biker hang-out in South Bloomingville, OH).

Unfortunately, I've got some commitments this Saturday. Otherwise I'd offer to meet you and go for a ride down there. Maybe you should put up a post in the Midwest regional page and someone could meet & ride? Up to you.

Fourth, Detroit sucks. I feel sorry for you. The roads are terrible and the drivers are worse.

Fifth, take a camera, take lots of pictures, and post up a ride report for us.

Finally, ride safe!

BG

First days out, when you are not really "in shape," are the worst, yet your first day is the longest of them all. Be very aware of impending fatigue and the need for good hydration. These factors can cause concentration problems and that can cause...

First days out, when you are not really "in shape," are the worst, yet your first day is the longest of them all. Be very aware of impending fatigue and the need for good hydration. These factors can cause concentration problems and that can cause...
Yup, definately planning on stopping a lot and drinking a lot of water. I've been doing as much seat time as I can prior to get in shape. Usually for me, it's the second and 3rd days that are the worst.

Ibuprofen is your friend. Take it before you REALLY hurt a lot. Even something as simple as a small pain in your back or neck takes a huge toll on you.

Some sort of cruise control/cramp buster device. Think about getting a camelback for hydration and read this

Greg

On my long rides, heavy eye lids seems to be my problem. Usually in the afternoon, my body is saying TAKE A NAP! So, I've learned to eat lite on the road (fruits are great) so I don't go into a coma after a large meal and don't be afraid to pull into a shady spot and take a snooze under a tree. Usually, all I need is 15 minutes of shut eye and then I'm much better.

Scott

I've found out that I do much better on long rides, if I force myself to take a break when I stop to fuel. My natural inclination is to hurry the stop and get back on the road. I've started carrying a camelback on trips. It really helps me stay hydrated and reinforces my idea of the longer break at fuel stops. Ibuprofen is really indicated on long rides for me. THe first night is usually a killer. cramps of my thighs and hands can be severe the first night. After that, it tends to subside.

Have a safe trip AND have fun

-Greg-

Definately take breaks at reasonable intervals. I think I have some sort of disease.....I just about always push myself to far before taking a break. A little further, and then a little further, and by the time I stop, I can barely move. I must get better at this!

On my long rides, heavy eye lids seems to be my problem. Usually in the afternoon, my body is saying TAKE A NAP! So, I've learned to eat lite on the road (fruits are great) so I don't go into a coma after a large meal and don't be afraid to pull into a shady spot and take a snooze under a tree. Usually, all I need is 15 minutes of shut eye and then I'm much better.
Scott
Yeah, especially with some of the super slab that I'm going to need to cross, I'll be definately eating light. Conveniently, that goes hand in hand with my current weight loss plans. :rolleyes:

Definately take breaks at reasonable intervals. I think I have some sort of disease.....I just about always push myself to far before taking a break. A little further, and then a little further, and by the time I stop, I can barely move. I must get better at this!
Yeah, I can do that too. Especially in a car.

I'm currently thinking that I'll try stopping every 100-120 miles or so. As I'll be on superslab, that should work out to every 90 min give or take. I'll probably try and combine a fuel/water break along with a short walk and some stretching. Definately good advice on the advil/asprin. I don't usually have headaches, so I forget about having it around. I'll pick some up for the run.

I've got a corbin seat, so I should be good on that front hopefully, although I'm sure the first day will be a stretch for sure.

I was going to echo the suggestion that you don't make your first day such a long one. I just completed a 2500 mile ride in 10 days (7 riding days) and the first day was the toughtest. Also, why ride the slab? I avoid that like the plague. There are usually state hwys that can get you there in a much more pleasant way.

Ditto on the rain gear. We were rained on almost every day on our trip. Our rain suits and glove covers made it all much more pleasant. Waterproof boots mean no more soaked socks. Pack light. Take a Tylenol or Advil in the AM when you start out. I'm ready to go again!

check air pressure in tires each day before you take off. Have a great ride.

I have learned.....when packing for a trip......

determine how many clothes to take.......then take half as much.......

determine how much money to take........then take twice that much.

Be safe, have fun.

I was going to echo the suggestion that you don't make your first day such a long one. I just completed a 2500 mile ride in 10 days (7 riding days) and the first day was the toughtest. Also, why ride the slab? I avoid that like the plague. There are usually state hwys that can get you there in a much more pleasant way.
Ditto on the rain gear. We were rained on almost every day on our trip. Our rain suits and glove covers made it all much more pleasant. Waterproof boots mean no more soaked socks. Pack light. Take a Tylenol or Advil in the AM when you start out. I'm ready to go again!
Unfortunately I need to make Pittsburg by around 2pm on Saturday. That's part of why I'm doing it the way I've broken it up. I need to shorter day on Saturday, so I can leave early and still make it in time.

Yeah, rain suits are the difference between being miserable and having a decent ride.

Two really good friends on a long trip. Visa/MC or other, and UPS store/Fedex kinkos. When you make your turn for the return, send dirties and unused home to deal with later. 3 to 4 hundred a day is not that hard two up, full days but not hard.

0. Make certain you have a good seat. if your butt hurts after 2-3 hours the rest of the day will be no fun.

1. Get up, early, and ride a tankful before breakfast. then take a nice break. In my experience by the end of the day you don't even remember those miles before breakfast; it seems like your day started after the meal.

2. take music, I prefer an Ipod or XM with speakers in the helmet and earplugs in my ears. Even without the music earplugs will reduce fatigue.

3. have water , lip balm, and ibuprofin where you can reach it while driving.

4. use sunscreen or you'll burn your nose off your face.