fj-09 Do not think so

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Sat on one, read numerous articles and it is just to tiny for me compared to my FJR, passed a point some substance is good. Maybe the FJ is a bit lite in the ass for carrying trunk and or bags at speed or two up with a 6'ft 218lb rider. If it is not twitchy why the 110mile an hour electronically limited top speed, which the magazines do not dwell on, or even mention. When I first got my 1800 I ran in to the red line a couple of times when passing in lower gears, not nice having a sudden crap-out during flight. I believe the 09 can exceed 110 in its top 3 gears, so if I would be strafing a line of R.Vs and trying to limit my exposure, using 3rd or 4th as I do on the FJR I would not like a flame out. Seems like the fz does 130ish? Also I enjoy the fjrs weather protection and power windshield along with optional screens. There are bikes out there for all sorts of riders, FJ-09 is getting many positive reviews, I like the idea of lighter weight but for me my FJR is irreplaceable. All of this is IMHO.

I've read that they are a hoot to ride. I too have sat on one and made vrooom noises in the showroom.. Too much winter going on here right now for a test ride. I like the geometry and the weight and that FJR bags fit right on. I'm considering one as a stable mate to my FJR, not a replacement for. The FJR is just too good at being itself.

With all of the features of the FJR, Yamaha's FJ-09 falls short on some fronts, especially wind protection. It seems more of an urban adventure bike to me. That said, I can see many jumping on it for the lighter weight, and customizing it to their needs. For someone only doing one-up and traveling light(er), this could be the perfect bike for them.

I know that 3 cylinder motor is an absolute joy to operate. The FZ-09 in spite of its soft suspension was absolutely the most fun bike without knobbies I ever rode. It has to be illegal to have that much fun on asphalt. Now that I think about it, it probably was illegal for me to be having that much fun on asphalt.

I like the idea of the FJ but like the idea of shaft drive even better. Since the FJR side cases are already a bit small I really don't like the idea of less capacity on the FJ-09. That bike came very close to being a proper stablemate to my FJR but it could never be a replacement for the big FJR.

I have always wanted a lighter FJR. I don't do long distance (the FJR is perfect for that) much if at all, and really like the comfort and wind protection of the FJR, but that weight. It is heavy, especially in the tight stuff and pushing around the garage. If you want a lighter FJR with good wind protection, but not perfect wind protection, and don't travel long distances much (though the F-Jay would do that fine), the F-Jay is for you. I have owned both, so I can tell you with surrity. If you like the twisties more than not, and like an upright seating position, the F-Jay is for you. You don't need to justify why you don't need a new bike, the FJR is a great bike, just not as good as the F-Jay for the type of riding I prefer. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Each time I visit one of our local shops, I check out the new FJ. Luv the idea that FJR bags are a direct fit and the light weight is very appealing. That 3 cylinder engine is a sweetheart too. OTOH, it's a tiny bike, limited protection from the elements and has a chain...seems more of a one-up short trip / day tripper to me.

There will always be an FJR in my garage, it scratches the itch for 80% of the riding I do. The Tenere fills in the rest of the gaps!

YMMV

--G

There will always be (multiple) FJRs in my garage but I can see someday in the future the FJ-09 replacing one of the four FJRs I currently have.

I don't think I could be without an FJR. It's the perfect set of compromises for me, and I think I'm finally past (too old for) hooligan bikes.

But it sure seems like a sub-model of that triple with a shaft and some additional faired area might be a great middleweight sport touring bike.

4525 rpm at 65 mph ! with a six speed no less...needs a couple more gears. also wimpy alternator-415 watz...

My buddy JUST bought an FJ09 We went on a ride a week ago, and we switched bikes for about 25 miles, lots of twisties.

Very FUN bike for sure, flickable, compared to the Big Girl, for sure.

I really enjoyed riding it. The different modes were cool, however I mostly stayed in A mode.

The seat felt like it was pushing me in to the tank. Bike has lots of torque for sure. Shaft drive would be nice.

Other then the seat, riding position was great. Fun ride, but not a replacement for the FJR for me.

I know for some, the weight of the FJR is a bit of an issue, so this bike would fit the bill for that.

Also, on the same ride with us, was my neighbor, who JUST bought a 2014 Concourse.

He suggested we switched bikes.......who am I to argue? A chance to ride another brand new bike, one I have never ridden.

Now the Concourse......I REALLY liked!!!

I did not want to switch back. These bikes are FAST!!!!!

He was just past break-in, so I revved it up quite a bit.

I was very impressed with the Connie!!

110 mph limiter--I simply wouldn't be interested in the bike. We have legal 80mph all over here and there are lots of time/places I'd like a bit more top end than that.

115mph thank you. Jeesh. I know, what is 5 mph.
smile.png

I really dig mine. FJRish electric torque and only 458 lbs. I'll flash the ECU for a faster top speed and keep my 2005 ICBM FJR for that specific task.

The triple makes a great sound, usable power on demand. You can't get the feel from a test sit, this will be my Arkansas - Colorado twisty line assault bike.

Well what the hell, I have a '13 FJR and it's got a cruise limit "set" at 85.

Don't care about the 110 limitation. Someone (in short order) will figure out a fix for that.

FJ-09 - 847cc's. Much lighter bike. Probably a great 2-lane bike - certainly not as good on the interstate as an FJR.

I already have a 2-lane bike.... that I took on a 1,600 mile (mostly) interstate trip last fall.

Some bikes are better as some things better than others.

As far as luggage.... if you're not into metal fabrication - find a friend that is.

This is my 2-lane bike - and great for a little off road and getting in and out of campgrounds.

Nebraska25Jul2014_zpsd480e0b7.jpg

That poor Versys...relegated to mule duty. I traded a V 650 on the FJ, very similar handling and geometry on the two bikes. I hope the green V gets to shed the shipping box and romp once camp is struck, they are great bikes and very underrated.

Thats's the first of heard of a speed limiter on the '09...
sad.png

My FZ6 will easily get into the mid 130's, into the 140's, maybe with a bit of ringing.. Definitly not the torque monster like the 09 and 1300..

It is wound to rev much higher than the 09 and FJR (14k rev limit) so getting up there DOES take some definite throttle input..

Different beast for different purposes.. Great around town, canyon carver!