FJR 1300A with inverted fork

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the *bling* factor, why are USD forks such a big improvement on a sport touring bike?
A conventional fork is always going to have fork flex between the lower fork leg and the fork tube....and the fork tube itself will have flex between the lower fork leg and the triple clamp. An inverted fork has less unsprung weight and is more rigid....resulting in less fork flex. There isn't much of a difference riding in a straight line on a smooth road when you are not putting any stress on the forks but the inverted fork will give an improved ride and better handling the rest of the time. A secondary benefit is that the bushings and seals usually last longer. When I ride my FJR and C14 back to back its easy to notice the difference even though the FJR has superior (GP Suspension) damping components.

In time I would hope the likes of Ohlins would do a USD fork for the Fjr13. That would be my preference if I was going to convert the front end :)

I wonder how something like the duo lever setup (licensed by BMW) would do on the FJR?

edit: I misspoke BMW didn't license the design. They waited for Norman Hossak's patent to expire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I get a 2013 with a 2006 side stand, 2003 rotors, 2008 ground spider, and 2004 valve tick?
And a SIX SPEED! And a cruise control that I can set for 162mph!

On one hand, "it is what it is"- if that's too much to deal with, there are other options. Ain't freedom of choice grand?

OTOH, If it were me, I'd start with finding out the upper fork diameter and stem length and fork offset of the AS model, and compare to, say, an R1. It may be one could order AS triple clamps from Europe, and slide R1 forks into them, or it may be possible to bolt on a complete R1 front end with minimal modifications for the ABS sensor. It's the kind of thing I'd be interested in... if I were interested in it.

So after one and half month I have got an answer to my request from importer - and it is negative. It is not possible to order A with inverted fork and electronic suspension adjustment.

So most probably I will go for suspention upgrade. I have seen on this great forum that couple of guys upgraded to Ohlins system. I had a look to Ohling web and there are couple of options for FJR - for front spring as well for rear shock absorber:

Front fork springsShock absorberNon of them for 2013, but I suppose that 2006 - 2012 will work on 2013 too. Any sugestions from your experience which one to take? Will appreciate your oppinion.

We do have more colors and may be also options in Europe, but I will be glad to have just one and the same price as in NA.
With today exchange rate A version in Europe is 23.600 USD (17.290 Euro) and AS 27.100 USD (19.990 Euro) ...
For that price they could afford to offer options.

Hi guys,I am almost done with my decision to upgrade to 2013 model. I love new design and Magnetic Bronze color.

I do not want AS version but I really want to have inverted fork on the bike (electronical adjustment is not a must for me). I asked my dealer in Slovakia and he is going to check with Yamaha if there is a possibility to order A version with this option - I am really looking forward for the feedback.

Does anybody from you know if this is possible?
If they were available in California, I'd buy an auto-shift in a heartbeat. I've even been toying with the idea of spending a couple of months in England, buying an AS, touring the contintnent until I had the equivalent of 7500 miles--after which I could register it in California--then shipping it here.

Hi guys,I am almost done with my decision to upgrade to 2013 model. I love new design and Magnetic Bronze color.

I do not want AS version but I really want to have inverted fork on the bike (electronical adjustment is not a must for me). I asked my dealer in Slovakia and he is going to check with Yamaha if there is a possibility to order A version with this option - I am really looking forward for the feedback.

I would urge you to test drive the AS if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually that's my plan - as soon as bike will be available and there will warmer outside I want to ride AS - to compare behaviours of suspentions. It still pretty cold here...

Actually that's my plan - as soon as bike will be available and there will warmer outside I want to ride AS - to compare behaviours of suspentions. It still pretty cold here...
I'm thinking you might like that second generation paddle shifter . . .

Other than the *bling* factor, why are USD forks such a big improvement on a sport touring bike?
Because it depends HOW you ride the sport touring bike.

If you ride it more sporty the inverted forks will befefit you more.
How? As in specifically.
Here's one answer.....

From Wikipedia...

" On some modern sport bikes, this system is inverted, with "sliders" (complete with the spring/damper unit) at the top, clamped to the yoke, while the stanchions are at the bottom . This is done (i) to reduce unsprung weight by having the lighter components suspended, and (ii) to improve the strength and rigidity of the assembly by having the strong large-diameter "sliders" clamped in the yokes.[2] The inverted system is referred to as an upside-down fork, or "USD" for short."

Right...And that's good stuff for a race bike, but does it matter on a nearly 700 lb ST bike? It doesn't reduce overall weight, and might help some with fork function, but factory springs are gonna be to light and need upgrading anyway.

So...For this application, there is NO advantage to USD forks. Just a perceived cool factor that likens to adding chrome pipes for bling.

IDK if USD inverted forks are better but it sure sounds like your opening up a huge can of stinkbutt if you try to do a retrofit as mentioned (prior posts). If it wasn't for the electronic part, then I could maybe see it.

So who's the first hacker to order in the parts and start this project?