FJR, Android, Garmin and Sena

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
As my riding season is drawing to a close, I figured I'd share my experiences using the Sena, Android and Garmin on the FJR.

The components:

1. Samsung Epic in a Ram-Mount Aquabox. Charged with a USB cable in a Belkin cig lighter adapter.

2. Garmin 550

3. Sena SMH10 headset

Pairing:

The first problems I had were pairing the Sena to both the Garmin and the Epic. Theoretically I was supposed to be able to pair the Epic to the Garmin so I can use the Garmin to view/manage callers, then pair the headset profile of the Sena to the Garmin and then the Audio profile to the Epic. I got this to work once, but the audio would pause every couple seconds so that was unworkable. When I unpaired the Garmin the audio worked great. Based on this, I decided to not pair the Garmin at all, and do all the audio and headset connections through the Epic. I decided it was not worth the hassle and unreliability to get the GPS voice prompts. Just as well, the Garmin display crapped out on me thousands of miles from home.

So, the Sena is paired with the phone only. When I turn on the Sena, it beeps twice to indicate that each (headset and audio) profile has paired. On the phone I installed an app called Car Home Ultra which I configured to launch when the Sena pairs, and exit when it unpairs. This app gives me big buttons to launch commonly used apps like DogCatcher, direct dial the wife or voicemail, etc. It also allows me to return to a screen where I can launch things, because there was no way for me to press the "back" button (more on this later). By turning the Sena off and on again, Car Home Ultra is relaunched. Also, this app has a "do not dim or lock display" function which is crucial on the bike, as once the display locks I cannot unlock it without taking the phone out of the Aquabox and I don't dare do that unless I am stopped.

The Epic mounted in the Aquabox remained secure and dust-free. It did get hot - once in a while it would refuse to charge due to the heat. Note I did not activate the GPS on the phone. The heat was a function of the phone's heat trapped in a small sunlight enclosure plus ambient temperatures. When the ambient temps were over 95F or so this problem arose. Otherwise it worked fine.

Controlling the phone became an issue. Before leaving home (humid Minnesota) my Tourmaster deerskin gloves worked pretty good through the Aquabox membrane. The Epic has the capacitative amoled LCD screen and then four capacitative buttons on the bottom of the phone (home, menu, back, search). It also has some physical buttons on the sides which were going to be unaccessible in the Aquabox. I could never get the four bottom buttons to work through the aquabox membrane. Never. That means I can't get to the home screen to back out of in-app menus. That's why it was important that I could return to the Car Home Ultra launcher by cycling the Sena.

In an attempt to make those buttons work with gloves, and gain more consistent button usage, I tries the Digits Glove Pins. It did give me better control and consistency through the membrane, but I still could make use of the four bottom buttons. The pack comes with four digits. The first one fell off, so I threadlocked the next one. In a week the silicone part peeled off, same thing happened to the third one. I gave the fourth one to my brother. Next I tried the Glove Tips. These worked better, for a while, except for those four important buttons. Eventually the adhesive to the glove gave up and I would glue it back on. Then, as I traveled in drier climates, the Glove Tips stopped working too. I'm guessing there wasn't enough moisture to conduct lectricity from my hand to the Glove Tip. At times it worked better to simply use my middle finger which had no special tip on it.

Also of note is that the phone screen (at full brightness) is hard to see in bright daylight. It's ok for listening to music or taking calls, but I wouldn't want to use it as a GPS. And this is on a phone which is known for a bright vibrant display, one of the best in the industry.

In the end, I have to conclude that Garmin got it right with the 550 (and presumeably newer 6xx models too). The touchscreen is bright and easy to see in all lighting conditions, and it responds beautifully to inputs. Physical buttons for quick actions are appreciated. AD2P and 3G (or even wifi) would be nice, with the ability to run Android apps like DogCatcher would be the cat's meow. Using a phone on the bike still has a looooong way to go.

Now, the Sena's.

These worked nearly perfect. Once in a while we would have a glitch where I could not connect or disconnect to another rider, but they could connect and disconnect with me. My dad used earplugs and speakers and it worked great for him (no phone or music pairings). My brother hates earplugs and used just his speakers, with mp3 from his fuze hardcoded in. He had pariing issues with his phone, but it was an odler phone. I used Etymotic's with the earbud Sena helmet plate and that worked great until my Sebotek tips stayed in my ears one day. After extracting them with a Leatherman, I glued the stock tips to the Ety's and will be looking at upgrading to Ultimate Ears custom units over the winter.

So, there you have it.

At times it worked better to simply use my middle finger which had no special tip on it.
I was expecting a comment after this statement like - and it seemed to be universally understood by all.

:)

My future self thanks you for the info. This will likely save me time when I get around to looking at communications.

Joe

The first problems I had were pairing the Sena to both the Garmin and the Epic. Theoretically I was supposed to be able to pair the Epic to the Garmin so I can use the Garmin to view/manage callers, then pair the headset profile of the Sena to the Garmin and then the Audio profile to the Epic. I got this to work once, but the audio would pause every couple seconds so that was unworkable. When I unpaired the Garmin the audio worked great. Based on this, I decided to not pair the Garmin at all, and do all the audio and headset connections through the Epic.
I think this is where you missed the boat.

I believe that with a Zumo 550 you are only supposed to make a single pairing between the Garmin Zumo and the Sena headset. That pairing will be on a headset profile. The Zumo takes care of all of the sharing, proritizing and routing of the phone vs GPS vs MP3 audio signals on the one BT output link. You would then never need to pair the phone directly to the headset, just the phone to the GPS and the GPS to the headset.

The (obvious) down side to that is that the Zumo BT output is only capable of a monoaural connection, so your music will suffer. But if you decide to upgrade to a Zumo 66X I believe that it will connect in A2DP and headset profiles simultaneously and you'll get your tunes in stereo.

That's consistent with what I have with my iPhone. I'm not sure if the Android phones have the option to select which Bluetooth profile to use, but the iPhone definitely does not (it always uses both the headset profile and the audio profile). The Sena can pair as both a headset and an audio device, so if you have a way of selecting profiles, you could pair the phone as an audio device (and if it supports the remote control profile, you can change tracks from the Sena), and the Zumo as a headset.

The first problems I had were pairing the Sena to both the Garmin and the Epic. Theoretically I was supposed to be able to pair the Epic to the Garmin so I can use the Garmin to view/manage callers, then pair the headset profile of the Sena to the Garmin and then the Audio profile to the Epic. I got this to work once, but the audio would pause every couple seconds so that was unworkable. When I unpaired the Garmin the audio worked great. Based on this, I decided to not pair the Garmin at all, and do all the audio and headset connections through the Epic.
I think this is where you missed the boat.

I believe that with a Zumo 550 you are only supposed to make a single pairing between the Garmin Zumo and the Sena headset. That pairing will be on a headset profile. The Zumo takes care of all of the sharing, proritizing and routing of the phone vs GPS vs MP3 audio signals on the one BT output link. You would then never need to pair the phone directly to the headset, just the phone to the GPS and the GPS to the headset.

The (obvious) down side to that is that the Zumo BT output is only capable of a monoaural connection, so your music will suffer. But if you decide to upgrade to a Zumo 66X I believe that it will connect in A2DP and headset profiles simultaneously and you'll get your tunes in stereo.
No boat was missed. The Zumo will only pair headset with the phone, not audio. Then it will pass that headset signal through to the Sena on the headset profile. There is no audio pairing between the phone and the Zumo.

While there is audio pairing between the Zumo and the Sena, the Zumo 550 will not do AD2P or AVRCP, and the audio sent to the Sena will only be that which is generated on the Zumo. If there is an audio pairing between the Zumo and the phone I was unable to find it ... when the phone paired with the Zumo, any audio from the phone came from the phone speakers.

That's consistent with what I have with my iPhone. I'm not sure if the Android phones have the option to select which Bluetooth profile to use, but the iPhone definitely does not (it always uses both the headset profile and the audio profile). The Sena can pair as both a headset and an audio device, so if you have a way of selecting profiles, you could pair the phone as an audio device (and if it supports the remote control profile, you can change tracks from the Sena), and the Zumo as a headset.
Android does have the option to select which profile to use, as does the Zumo (it just isn't obvious).

I perhaps wasn't very clear in what I wrote above ... to rephrase it, here's what I did:

1. Zumo is "headset only" profile

2. Phone's pairing with Zumo is "headset" only (unchecked audio)

3. Phone's pairing with Sena is "audio" only (unchecked audio)

4. Zumo paired with phone (headset) and Sena (headset)

5. Sena paired with Zumo (headset) and phone (audio)

I got it all connected in the garage and tested making and receiving phone calls and worked OK. But as soon as I started playing any audio from the Sena it would skip every couple seconds. When I turned off the Zumo the skipping went away, so I suspect the Zumo was 'pinging' the Sena every couple of seconds and the Sena was giving that priority over the audio.

Is that clearer?

Had a similar experience with my Motorola Droid, Scala G4 and zumo 550. I could pair the phone to the zumo first (as per the directions), then the Scala to the zumo as a headset. It would show the Droid's phonebook and make a test call. After a time, it would not make calls, though it still showed as paired. I'd stop, unpair and re pair and it would work for a while. Since the zumo's icon always showed it as paired, I never knew when it was working. Not the reliability I need to field a possible emergency call from home. I ended up disabling the zumo's Bluetooth and pairing the Droid directly to the Scala, using voice dial to dial out, whereupon it worked flawlessly. This same Droid has worked perfectly through a Pioneer stereo in my F150 and a Bose stereo in my Mazda, so my assumption is that Garmin's Bluetooth software in the Zumo is pure crap. When I contacted them via e mail, they were of no help whatsoever. Also had to do numerous resets to the zumo when trying to use the Bluetooth, where I'd only had to do 1 or 2 before in all the years I've had it, before enabling the Bluetooth. I have always updated the zumo's software as soon as updates were available. The zumo has always worked satisfactorily as a GPS for me, but I'd advise against buying one for the Bluetooth capabilities, YMMV.

Just pair the phone with the headset and use Google navigation. Works great with my Droid X. Only downside is if you use it in areas with no cell coverage. I read you can cache maps to the phone and still use it though. I haven't tried that. I can listen to tunes and the navi will cut in with directions and go back to tunes. You'll want to have the phone charging though, navi burns up the battery! I've still got my Garmin 2720 and will probably bring it on long trips for backup if it rains, although the navi does work even if the phone is in my pocket.

When I first got the Zumo 660 and the Sena, I had issues with my cell phone. The Motorola Q9c was a relatively old phone (2 years is ancient in the cell phone business and mine was even older) and although it would pair to the Zumo, it would lock up for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes during the process. The Zumo and Sena always worked flawlessly and I sure like having stereo tunes to the helmet speakers with enough volume to hear over earplugs.

I just recently got a Droid 3 and besides a hickup during the initial pairing (I deleted all pairings and started over to fix it), it's worked perfectly. Phone pairs to Zumo when I turn the Zumo on within seconds. Then when I turn the Sena on, it pairs to the Zumo within seconds. Other than volume or intercom on the Sena, everything is controlled on the Zumo touch screen. I'm really liking this technology!

I suspect that the problems are due to the Zumo 550 having older bluetooth software/hardware like my old cell phone.

FYI...droid has a problem with "voice over bluetooth", not sure if you were all aware of this or not, or even if it has any bearing on this topic. However...I have a Sena that worked absolutely perfectly with my old LG phone...bluetooth, voice dialing, everything perfect when paired with my Sena. Now...I'm having problems with my new Samsung Galaxy 2 android phone...no voice dialing, and as you've mentioned the bluetooth connection drops out at times. My spouse also has similar issues with her bluetooth earpiece (Jabra)...and it won't voice dial either. I looked into this a little further on the Motorola web site and it is a known issue for the droid operating system. I understand they are working on a fix...but nothing concrete so far.

Sorry to drop into the middle of the conversation...I just thought that I'd pass along what I know. I wouldn't be so quick to condemn any hardware (Garmin Zumo 550) without trying another phone to see if it still exhibits the same problems. Like you...I would have been quick to do this...but with my recent experience with this new phone...wow a totally different attitude.

I pair a Zumo 660, Droid Pro and a Sena.

Basically, my phone is only paired to the Zumo and the Sena is only paired to the Zumo...And my brother's Sena, but that's what its supposed to do...Right.

The Zumo routes my calls, and the 660 maintains its own music files. I thought the 550 did the same.

The entire system has glitches every now and then, but most of the time, its pretty frigging magical!

FYI...droid has a problem with "voice over bluetooth", not sure if you were all aware of this or not, or even if it has any bearing on this topic. However...I have a Sena that worked absolutely perfectly with my old LG phone...bluetooth, voice dialing, everything perfect when paired with my Sena. Now...I'm having problems with my new Samsung Galaxy 2 android phone...no voice dialing, and as you've mentioned the bluetooth connection drops out at times. My spouse also has similar issues with her bluetooth earpiece (Jabra)...and it won't voice dial either. I looked into this a little further on the Motorola web site and it is a known issue for the droid operating system. I understand they are working on a fix...but nothing concrete so far.

Sorry to drop into the middle of the conversation...I just thought that I'd pass along what I know. I wouldn't be so quick to condemn any hardware (Garmin Zumo 550) without trying another phone to see if it still exhibits the same problems. Like you...I would have been quick to do this...but with my recent experience with this new phone...wow a totally different attitude.
I've never tried voice dialing, so not sure if it works with my setup (Droid 3, Sena, Zumo 660). I have no need for voice dialing because I have touch screen access to my phone "address book/recent calls/call home" available on the Zumo.

When I was attempting to use the zumo in conjunction with my Droid and Scala, I didn't try to use voice dialing, just the zumo's touch screen. I didn't try the voice dialing until it was obvious that the zumo wasn't going to work reliably, whereupon I disabled the zumo's Bluetooth and paired the Droid directly with the G4, which has worked perfectly every time I have used it (with voice dialing). If I had another cell handy, I might have tried it with the zumo but, since this Droid has worked with every other pairing (Pioneer stereo, Bose stereo, and Scala G4), it was obvious to me that the problem lay with the zumo. When I contacted Garmin's supposed tech support, the only useful bit of info they offered up was that the zumo hadn't been tested with the Droid for compatibility. WTF, this was in July; the Droid had been out for over a year and was one of the top selling phones when it was released! IMHO, if Garmin is going to market the zumo as Bluetooth capable (and charge a premium for same), it should work as well as the much cheaper stereos and G4. If their alleged tech support had told me that they were on top of the situation and a fix would be released shortly, I'd have been satisfied. This was not the case. They basically told me to do the updates and, when I told them the zumo was updated long before I contacted them, they searched internet message boards for a solution, which I had also done. That was the extent of their support for their product. I still have the e mail correspondence between them and me and will make it available to anyone interested. I won't buy any more of their products.

Latest posts