FJR & Camping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeb

Reaction score
Haven't taken the FJR camping yet but was wondering how/if others do that with their's?  My concern is some of the places I like to go have hard pack dirt roads and I'm a little leery of doing that with the FJR....crash cages would be a must...

Just take your time. You'll be fine. I've ridden some of the worst roads in all of North America on my 03.  Over 250000 km of every road and non road surface. Hard pack dirt roads are not an issue.  Don't beat yourself up before you even go out     

The shores of James Bay. Northern Quebec

DSCF2306.jpg

Beautiful BC

P6210379_zpssp5fb1ls.jpg

Right on the beach in Daytona

DSCF0167.jpg

Camping in the Carolina's

P5150002.jpg

The Sea of Cortez off the coast of The Baja Peninsula , Mexico

DSCN0306_zps4ea5600f.jpg

Last year it was Alaska. 

I've used every tire company , car tires and even knobby s 

SAM_2517_zpsa9bd7c4b.jpg

I think you get the idea. Get on and ride. Don't sweat it. Enjoy yourself. 

Rob 

Just take your time. ....... Hard pack dirt roads are not an issue.  Don't beat yourself up before you even go out
This ^^.  I ride a couple thousand miles of western North Carolina's National Forests hard packed roads every year.  The FJR does very well for what it is.  I prefer a car tire for such shenanigans as I do tend to get a little aggressive on the uphill switchbacks.  I've cut regular street tires on the gravel before.  The other advantage I've found with a car tire is it's tendency to float in things like loose sand.

Take your time, lay off the front brake some and you'll do fine.

^^^^ Ditto on the front brake. Too heavy a hand on the loose stuff can wash out the front tire. The FJR will handle hard pack dirt, washboard, even rutted two wheel track through the woods. Before you go camping, give yourself some practice, use a light touch, and you should be just fine – even with a rear motorcycle tire. 

Brodie

😊

If you  have experience riding on gravel road then you know what to expect.  I have experience on gravel roads but choose avoid them with FJR.  Just my choice, not a limitation of the bike.  I have road the FJR on gravel roads and don't enjoy it. 

Carrying a lot of gear on the FJR generally means putting stuff on the rear seat.  It is like having a passenger on the bike without legs.  Steering becomes heavier with all the weight up high.  With the FJR I stay at hotels.  When on my DR650 in the woods I will camp cause hotels may not be available, plus if I break down, I am prepared for a few nights in the woods.

Try the FJR on a gravel road or two without gear, then if you like it, return with gear and try it. It doesn't matter what we out here think, it is a matter of how you want to spend your free time.

Best wishes.

I’ve gotten caught on my share of gravel backroads on my 2012 FJR. It handles fine at a reasonable speed. 
my biggest concern is I’m running sport-touring tires and I have been awful concerned about puncturing one on the soft gravel a few times. Not to much with brand new rubber, but street tires getting near the end of their lives have a pretty thin layer of rubber on them. 
Hasn’t happened yet though!