• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FJR Engine Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker

Tinker
Reaction score
Find myself in need of a replacement engine for my '03. Low milage and good condition California preffered please but all consdered. Will be out of town this week and will respond after Mon, 9 Aug.

TimW

Tinker

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
popchuck.gif

:D Well Ok the wait is over. I'll tell the gruesome tale for all to learn from amd chuckel over.

Twas a dark, dreary, blustery raining eve, the first of march far out in the reaches of the Oakland freeway system. Highway 880 South bound for an evening of didder and movie with a friend in the burb of Mountanview. Not a night fit for man or Harley Davidson. Being the intrrepid FJR pilot I precieve myself to be, I sallied forth into the gauntlet of the Gods.

Traffic was moderate with moderate to heavy rain. My bike was running well ( it is an FJR so that is likely redundent) with good tires (50% +), full kit and an assertive but cautious mental state. The highway is four lanes with a large number of off and on ramps and it is always marginal in the area, a bit rough, tar snakes abound and it tends to collect pools of water and pot holes at odd points.

So I'm crusing along in the number two lane at 55-60 with traffic. A delivery box truck signals and changes from the number three into the number two lane. I'm sure he didn't see me but I had more than sufficent separation so I simply backed off to maintain a safe following distance. All well and good but for the trucks spray! DAMM can't see a thing through the distortion. Head check, mirror check kick down one cog and vector into the number one land for a clean safe pass. I know the road well. Approaching a right turn with a wierd off ramp followed by an on ramp. I pull alongside the truck as I lean into the curve, est. speed 70. The rear wheel is visciously attacked by a pool concealed tar snake which snatches away all grip and in less than an engine revolution I'm droping onto the right R&G slider. The voices in my head are wispering "stay with the bike fool stay with the bike". I do, until the bikes momentum takes it on down the highway toward the concrete center barrier. I kicked free of the machine and start to tumbel. Managed to tuck a bit and get onto my back for a very long slide along the devider. After I stopped with my sholder against the devider I took stock of my injuries. None found! I'm whole and fully functional, well as functional as I ever am. I looked for my bike and located it on the right sholder, four lanes away.

Cautiously I twisted toward the devider and livted myself tenuiously to hands and knees to see what was thundering down the road to kill me. Nothing! Miraculiously all of the traffic had stopped safely. No one hit my bike, no one had hit another vehicle! Lanes one and two were moving through to continue their travel. Five minutes of wonder and gratitude and I began the cautious transit to the right sholder and my bike. The rain had lightened up, a bit. I removed my helmit and heard my engine running! DAMM failsafe, bank sensor failed the freaking engine is still running on its side, meaning no oil! Crap, Crap Crap! Killed the engine with the kill switch and turned off the ignitoin. Now for some quality time with my life.

Settled my but onto the crash barrier, pulled the hood off, dug into the Stitch, lit a cig and started breathing again. Ten minutes later a motorist pulled over to check on me and assisted with standing my bike up. I keyed it on and started it first try. Shutit off, dug out the flash light and inspected the damage. Nothing on the left side at all but the right side was a different story. The right foot guard was trash, crushed and ground to pulp. I have highway pegs installed as well. When the foot guard colapsed it bent the highway peg adapter into the lower radiator hose and punctured it. I kitted up again and rode the bike a few meters to clear the sholder, maximun separation fron the traffic. Pulled out the cell and called cycle tow.

Days later, the crash damage could have been a lot worse. About $2500 parts and labor. Twisted forks, clamps and brace, bent wheel and plastic bits. Should have been riding again in six weeks. I won't bu putting the highway pegs on again.

The problem that has taken so long is the engine. The mechanic didn't try to start the engine at the shop. He asked if the engine ran after the crash and it did. Unfortunatly it was still hot and tight. He went ahead with the repairs and when it was time to fire it up it wouldn't. He spent weeks chasing the no start. After three and a half months he ran compresion and leak down tests. 30 psi compression on all four with 80% leak down. This guy is not a Yamaha dealer so I towed the bike to Mach 1 Motorsports and they have had it for five weeks. Doesnt loo at all good. Deposits on the surface of the piston and valves, burnt valve, extreamely hard to turn over and will not spin. They've only taken the head off so far. Waiting on response from Yamaha YES for disposition. But not good at all. The preliminary estimate to overhaul is $6600. That will total the bike! I rally don't want to do that.

That why I'm looking for a replacemtnt engine. Thats the true story. Thats why I'll be at WFO this weekend in my truck. Please dont laugh at me, I won't be abel to see through the tears to see who I need to take out my frustration and anger on. Six months without a ride and I'm a bit short on patience.

Tim :(

That sucks. :angry03:

I was hoping it was a "I changed the oil and didnt put in the drain plug" type story so we could laugh. :huh:

There was, twice, an engine on ebay, complete with ecm etc. Never sold. Two different ones, one high, one low (price wise) $1200 to $1600 range IIRC. There is also a guy there now selling off many small parts from a cruncher, and saying there is more to be had. Worth a looksee. here is a link to one of the current items-

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-FJR130...1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and do a valve job on that head (with guides and valves heh heh) and someone is sure to thank you as they score it.

Dang, Tinker

Sorry about your bike, man.

But I'm truly amazed at how you walked away from this accident unscathed.

I'm putting a few beers in the refrigerator in case you come to Europe sometime soon. I want to hear the story from you -- what happened to you has gotta be my #1 recurring nightmare :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Stef

Damn Tim! I thought all that was behind you and you were up and running again.....sorry to hear your still patching things up........Whisky on me at WFO.....I'll keep my ears open for ya!! :drinks: :drinks:

Well dogone it yo guys, I shoulld have posted sooner. All thease months of no sympathy from the folks from work or my neighborhood have been really hard on me. Now this out pouring of sympathy and aide. Overwhelming, simply more than I can assunilate. I've a line on a complet mill for 2500 but now I'll check more on EBay. Thanks again for the help and support.

Tinker

Tim

Damn! I didn't think it be one of those scary campfire type stories! First, sorry for your get off. Second, glad you're still around to tell the tale and to be free of bodily damage is sure to be a bonus! Lastly, I'm sure you'll find a new mill and be back up and running in no time!

That wasn't so scary. I never saw TDubs name mentioned at all. Now, you wanna hear a real scary story? :eek:

But why did the motor continue to run. As mentioned, I believe there is a failsafe to prevent this type of thing. If there was a failsafe failure :unsure: should Yamaha cover it?

James

Sorry about the accident and consequences, although anytime you have a serious accident and don't spend quality time in the hospital is a bit of a blessing.

I'm a little unsure how an engine running on its side (and presumably suffering a lack of oil flow for a period), would suffer valve wear but I suppose all bets are off when this happens. I'd expect the thing to lunch it's bearings before you'd get issues with things affecting compression.

I'm not aware of a tipover switch on the FJR. Doesn't mean one doesn't exist, but I've never heard of it. The ST1100 has one and it caused no end of problems for Honda - they had to do an expensive recall.

- Mark

and I thought it was going to be a cool story about some nut sticking an FJR motor into a single person sand rail!

The tipover switch is right under the seat.

If you re-install it upside down after underseat surgery,the bike won't start but it WILL flood.

Then you have to turn the switch rightside up and change plugs.

Guess hoe I know.

How odd. When I had the Classic Creek Crossing Crash, PEARL lay on her side, patiently waiting for me to regain my footing on the moss-covered roadway, engine merrily idling along.