• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FJR Engine Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day-um!

Glad to hear you are okay Tinker! From hearing your story, you are lucky you didn't get run over by one of those cagers or a truck! Or injured when getting backstopped by the hiway barrier.

Sorry, that the auto kill switch didn't work for ya. Seems like YAMMY should pony up.

All you WFO guys...make sure you take care of Tinker at the bar...

The voices in my head are wispering "stay with the bike fool stay with the bike".
Sorry to hear about your problem. After witnessing one of my riding buddies trying to "stay with the bike" and getting his back broken in 3 places I'm a firm believer in "Adios Bike, you're on your own". That big Goldwing went airborne with him holding on and slammed him like a pile driver. His wife flew off the seat but the bike caught up to her on the ground and fractured her skull (wearing a full face helmet) broke her shoulder and lacerated her liver. Let the bike go, it's insured. :dribble:

The tipover switch is right under the seat.
If you re-install it upside down after underseat surgery,the bike won't start but it WILL flood.

Then you have to turn the switch rightside up and change plugs.

Guess hoe I know.
:haha:

Glad that you are all right. Just as well to let the things do whatever they are gonna do when you go down. The bike's coefficient of friction is far less than a body's. This means that the bike will carry on down the road longer than you will. Seeing as you will be both going in the same general direction, t'is much better to get clear of it. As has been mentioned, the bike will try to kill you - keep clear of it.

Been there - done that once and have been avoiding a repeat performance for 17 years. So far, so good!

John.

Good Lordy! Unfuckingbelieveable! I don't blame ya for sittin down to light up a smoke. I can only imagine what was running thru yer mind after layin it down at that speed and walking away scratchless. Glad ya did tho- :) Walk away scratchless, that is.

And yeah, WTF happened to the tipover switch? Anyone know what's supposed to trigger it, and how to reset it? I'd imagine one could test it by removing it from the bike and tipping it over (the switch, not the bike :blink: ). Glanced thru Service Manual, didn't see much. Might take a more detailed look later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know what's supposed to trigger it, and how to reset it?
Lean angle trips it, key cycling resets it. Just a plain old pendulum style switch. Like anything mechanical, it's not bulletproof, but many more work than don't, just like anything else.

wow ... crazy story .. glad you are scratchless though!!

I wanna know ..

What gear were you riding???

replacing jacket soon, and something that can withstand a 60mph slide is somethign I can trust for sure!

I believe the tip-over switch is supposed to cut electric power to the fuel pump at 70 degrees of lean. Maybe the pegs and sliders held the bike up that far? Otherwise the fail safe system failed :eek:

Gues I'll be putting Aerostitch back on my Christmas list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I saw an engine for sale on EBay, I think from a place in Fremonet, CA

Maybe it would fit your need.

good luck and meow for now