FJR engineers embarrassed by Concours 14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C-Mesh, you sound like my ex. She could always find something to complain about. So you're right: Yamaha engineers should be ashamed for designing this POS. But what does that say about your personality or IQ -- that you bought such an inferior POS that the engineers who designed the POS you researched and paid good money for should be ashamed of the inferior turd we all ended up with. :rolleyes:

[SIZE=12pt]IF[/SIZE] you were riding back in the 60s and 70s, one can only imagine the bitch fest you pitched at the quality of motorcycle engineering then. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel if I want a bike any smoother than my FJR I will look to buy an electric. :unsure: I like to feel the grunt, hear the sound, and sense the vibration of a powerful well engineered machine.

Maybe I am corrupted, my other bike is a Suzuki TLR and my car has a Yamaha engine. :D
SHO?

i owned a concours and while i did like it... i did'nt like it like i do my new fjr... i have been waiting for the new concours for a year and after they kept pushing it back i finally said f'it ... i don't want to throw away more time waiting on it when i don't even know if i will like it better... besides i just got rid of a first year bike to get my fjr and i absolutely hate having to deal with there being nothing available for the first 2 years you own one... and all the bugs that show up with the new bike... had they met their deadline i would have looked at it before i made a descision... i am a die hard kawasaki fan i have owned kawasaki's 2 to 1 if you put all the other brands in one group...

i jumped on the fjr when i showed up to the showroom floor and they had one, especially after the trade in i got for my 06 bike. after all of that all i can say is i am lovin the fjr. i don't know about the new concours but my fjr blows the old concours away in sportyness which is what i wanted... a bike that i could go the distance but when i was just riding around town look good while doing it...

i don't think i would have been happy with the bags off the concours riding around with that tard pipe hanging off the right side... and i would have changed it but how long would i have had to wait to get an aftermarket pipe...

my fjr does not seem to vibrate... but i don't have the miles on it yet to really say much about that...

i don't see where the yamaha should feel bad any more so that kawasaki should in the future when the next st bike comes out thats new and improved...

khrome

Vibrations? My FJR doesn't vibrate any more than I'd expect it to. I think CM needs to take the Venus Butterfly out of his front pocket before he goes riding...

I feel if I want a bike any smoother than my FJR I will look to buy an electric. :unsure: I like to feel the grunt, hear the sound, and sense the vibration of a powerful well engineered machine.

Maybe I am corrupted, my other bike is a Suzuki TLR and my car has a Yamaha engine. :D
SHO?
Yes :D

SHOresized.jpg

Wow, nice SHO, rivgar! I had a '92 SHO and that car absolutely rocked! Yamaha V-6 DOHC w/ 5-speed family sedan sleeper!

My '06 FJR is my first Yamaha motorcycle, and I am very satisfied with it. Much smoother than what I've had in the past!

I did have a '86 Concours and while it was a good bike, I find the FJR to be a quantum leap forward! I'm sure the C14 is good too, but it doesn't 'push my buttons' as well as the FJR.

With all this smack talkin about FJR's, I'ma have to go out and buy a Norge :blink:

Nah. I like my FJR, faults and all :D

Welllllll, mine does vibrate a bit (Okay--it's buzzy). AND there are those who are very sensitive to the harmonic vibes and couldn't buy an FJR (At Streetmasters I talked with one lady ST owner from WA who went home and test rode one). SO to post that the FJR doesn't vibrate might be a bit of a stretch. I have heavy bar ends and gel grips on my FJR and on longer trips I use my throttle lock to give my hands a rest.

It isn't worth the debate until the bike mags do the comparisons. "Buttery smooth" is a comment I've read twice. Hey, I hope it is!

Let's wait until the C-14 gets some miles on it to see how successful it is once the "newness" bloom is off the rose. For now, its the newest, latest and greatest sports-tourer on the market. So was the FJR a few years ago and it received all of the attention and raves.

Before we get all hot and bothered about the "smooth issue", let's wait until we hear more about the "heat issue" that has already been mentioned in the few articles I've read. As closed as the bodywork appears and as hot as I remember my Connie being (especially on my lower legs), I'll be waiting to read more about that issue...a biggie and a deal-killer for those of us who ride in 100+ degree temps.

I don't have to defend the FJR. For me it is the best solution for my desires in a motorcycle (well, except for what my KLR will do). And I don't have to attack those who have a different idea about solutions to problems THEY have or perceive.

Personally, I like the C-14. I like the profile and the fact that the front 1/2 and the seat-to-tank interface looks rather BMW-RT, so the fairing should work well. The big muffler is a curse and a blessing, its huge because of the EPA and European mandates AND its a blessing because it will be very easy to eliminate the cats and cheaper because there is only one muffler and no header purchase to do so. The "ribs" on the body work...If I were to buy a C-14, I could get used to them, besides, once on the bike I wouldn't be able to see them!

Its all good....let's go riding!

Hopefully, Yamaha will step up and do a proper fuel injection fix. Not a 'band aid'

patch. Or, yes a lot of "us" will be selling our FJR's many years before origionaly

planned.

I'm not so sure Yamaha understands how hard it will be to get that customer back.

You want vibration, come over to my house and go for a spin on my 1988 HD Softtail Custom. Ridged mount motor, pull back rubber mounted bars for the vibration, floor boards with vibration dampners and Iso cushion grips to help with the, um vibration. Your eyes will try to stay focused and your hands will tingle along with the rest of your bod. This thing on the kick stand running in the garage will slowly move accross the floor with no one aboard! Now the FJR, I can't even tell if this thing is running....., vibration, we got no stinking vibration.......go figure. PM. <>< :rolleyes:

My FJR cooks my nuts and ass. The cat is gone thanks to Muzzy, so my feet don't cook anymore. After an hour or so of agressive riding my right hand gets numb as shit,gel grips helped very little. Big mack daddy bar ends too. Still find myself shaking the right hand off to my side and flexing my fingers trying to get some blood to flow, or some fuckin thing. I can spend hours on my 52 pan hardtail, or the 75 shovel dresser, both kings of vibration and I don't have the right hand problem. I don't have the problem on the KLR either. Hey it's a motorcycle, I'm a man, I can take some of the bullshit that goes with all the fun that goes with riding this great machine. If the C-14 Isn't a nut roaster and is more comfortable to hang onto, hell I'll give er a good hard look. For me the C-14 must really shine to get me off the FJR. :big_boss:

Did kawi engine-ears take note of the Harleys and rubber mount the motor...... :laughingsmiley: :lol2: It would look cool jumping around at the stop lights . . . :lol2:

Kawi C new slogan - Big pipe saves lives

My only relevant observation in this thread is that both of ConstantMesh's posts draw some very harsh conclusions after an excessive number of "ifs."

If the kawi proves to be a better bike for me I will buy it-I dont have any brand loyality the best/most bike for the money is what I will ride. Its to early to tell but I would think they will have some glitches the first year or so.Yamaha will also improve the FJR if they feel they are losing (or in danger of) market share. I have several Yamaha products and am very well satisfied with them but am not married to any of them. Products change and they all have good and bad points. Been driving Dodge cummins pickups for ever never though I would change however the 07's are getting bad fuel mileage and I may be in a Duramax soon.

Latest posts