FJR engineers embarrassed by Concours 14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
From the few reports I've seen about the Concours 14 one thing has been mentioned over and over -- a smooth engine with minimal vibration.

If the Concours 14's engine is noticeably smoother than the FJR engine the Yamaha FJR engineers should be embarrassed. The engineers went to the trouble and expense of installing the standard dual balancers called for in an in-line 4 engine. But, it may be illustrated by the Concours 14 that the FJR engineers gave us a botched, half-assed execution of the proven balancer technology.

They must have known that they'd likely never improve the balancer execution as this engine was churned out year after year. Yet they were content to offer a marginal execution of the balancer system.

It seems that Yamaha offers machines that reach about the 85th percentile. They could offer a bit better design execution but 85% is likely good enough. Engineers are expensive so Yamaha is content to offer pretty good machines but not great machines.

From the few reports I've seen about the Concours 14 one thing has been mentioned over and over -- a smooth engine with minimal vibration.
If the Concours 14's engine is noticeably smoother than the FJR engine the Yamaha FJR engineers should be embarrassed. The engineers went to the trouble and expense of installing the standard dual balancers called for in an in-line 4 engine. But, it may be illustrated by the Concours 14 that the FJR engineers gave us a botched, half-assed execution of the proven balancer technology.

They must have known that they'd likely never improve the balancer execution as this engine was churned out year after year. Yet they were content to offer a marginal execution of the balancer system.

It seems that Yamaha offers machines that reach about the 85th percentile. They could offer a bit better design execution but 85% is likely good enough. Engineers are expensive so Yamaha is content to offer pretty good machines but not great machines.
Well go to the darkside, buy the Connie 14 and be forever happy that you have the new greatest most perfect machine available to the modern motorcycling community.

Hey' odot! you know better <_< Ain't no corrections coming from me today. Though that is a crock 'o' shit regarding smoothness

You loving on the glass pipe too? :D

:jester:

LOL

maybe this will put it into perspective

3470.JPG

that is a 1986 article on the "NEW" concours. At the time, most would agree that it was cutting edge and all would agree that it made it's mark on the sport touring niche ...if not doing a good part of creating that niche. It was well engineered, much cheaper than the competition (primarily at that time BMW)

Well, ...aprox 22 years lateryou'd hope they made something better. (BTW that 22 years offered little change in the connie)

The 2008 FJR will be the 7th year of the bike without any super-duper enhancements by Yamaha ...sure a few tweaks, but nothing to rock the founation of the bike. Let's hope Yamaha will be a bit quicker than 22years to re-do the FJR, but until they do, it is still a solid ride.

Good for kawi on this new model, for sure it should have a few advantages over the FJR ...time, tests and miles will tell us if it really is better or not. My *guess* is that it is a great bike and will prove to be a fanstastic offering from Kawasaki. They may be slower with stuff to Market, but they've done a few things right over the years. Personally, I'm impressed with the new Connie ...and even more enticed with their new KX450F ...this(clicky) is another new and great offering by team green.

The more good sport tourers the better ....good for us folks who will upgrade someday. let's see if Yamaha answers, (or if they even have to) ....Let's see if suzuki gets into the mix.

As far as yamaha engineers embarrassed ........I think they can be darn proud of the impact and success of the FJR, a fine ride indeed.

there, I bit on the troll post ....LOL ...renojohn

Baloney! The engineers don't have any excuses for not offering a smoother engine. Both bikes have the same engine configuration -- in-line 4.

If it turns out that the Concours engine is noticeably smoother then obviously Yamaha's engineers dropped the ball. They had an opportunity with a clean sheet design to do it right. The twin balancer design is a proven, established technology for in-line 4 engines.

Particularly for a touring machine where a multi-hour ride is not uncommon any unnecessary vibration causes additional rider fatigue.

Did they just tack on the balancer shafts so they could say they were offering a smooth engine?

My 33K mile '04 FJR I bought from D&H has been a good, reliable machine. But I've always wondered why they didn't do a better job of eliminating engine vibration. The technology was available to make a very smooth engine. Their execution of the technology just wasn't spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I must be completely f'ed in the head because I am very happy with my FJR and find the new connie totally unimpressive. Seven years for ten more horsepower and more weight, big deal.

Baloney! The engineers don't have any excuses for not offering a smoother engine. Both bikes have the same engine configuration -- in-line 4.
If it turns out that the Concours engine is noticeably smoother then obviously Yamaha's engineers dropped the ball. They had an opportunity with a clean sheet design to do it right. The twin balancer design is a proven, established technology for in-line 4 engines.

Particularly for a touring machine where a multi-hour ride is not uncommon any unnecessary vibration causes additional rider fatigue.

Did they just tack on the balancer shafts so they could say they were offering a smooth engine?
Yeah CM... You should sell that POS Yami of yours and get a C14. you'll be lucky if you get anything for that FJR, its so poorly designed. Tell you what, if it has low miles and is clean I'll give you 50 bucks for your POS but that's the best your going to get for that oversized vibrator :glare:

Keep a close eye on the Connie forums and I'm sure you'll see all of the "horrible" things that are wrong with the C14 just like you do w/ the FJR over here.

You can't please everyone, but Yam did a superb job of pleasing me w/ the FJR.

I don't care if the Concours 14 is turbine smooth, as long as it has that whale of a muffler I'm not interested. Probably only turns to the right.

Boys, boys, boys... Now, c'mon. It's not even Friday yet. ;)

Besides, me thinks the FJR is pretty damn smooth as it is. I think all in all, the two bikes are pretty much on equal ground overall, which makes me wonder why Kawasaki didn't go balls to the wall and just put the smack-down on everyone else. :dntknw:

Boys, boys, boys... Now, c'mon. It's not even Friday yet. ;)
Besides, me thinks the FJR is pretty damn smooth as it is. I think all in all, the two bikes are pretty much on equal ground overall, which makes me wonder why Kawasaki didn't go balls to the wall and just put the smack-down on everyone else. :dntknw:
For those of us currently in the market, I hope the C14 kicks azz. The more bargaining power for the buyer of an FJR the better. B)

me wonder why Kawasaki didn't go balls to the wall and just put the smack-down on everyone else. :dntknw:
Me too. If this thing is faster (we can dare say it is) and if it handles better (reviews are looking that way), If the price is right (and that we know is good) ...well, it has my attention.
Many folks like the Gen I connie over the FJ1200 (sales will tell us more than many) .....and I think many will like the new connie over the FJR1300. Perhaps many on this board wil be switching.

all the talk about the muffler ...geeze, kawi did owners a favor ...take that thing off and replace it ....

- cheaper than buying two cans

- do away with Cat Converter

NICE, two advantages FJR owners don't have ...without spending much more money. an example of kawasaki having the owners' wants and budget on the radar ...HELLO YAMAHA??

Me thinks I may want one ...but I'll wait until I get smoked by one in the twisties and after I see that it can hold up to the long-mile-abuse that the FJR has proven itself on. Would be fun to fast forward 18months and see.

In the meantime, us keyboard jockeys can play pretend ---while others are out riding LOL LOL

Yeah and how come Harleys don't make a smooth v-twin like the big 4. That Harley company is gonna go outta business...nobody will buy them :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

its funny, up until now there were no bikes in the same class as the FJR, now....all of a sudden someone build a new bike that took, what, 25 years to develope, that the FJR engineers should be embarrased??? LOL, I have no problems with vibration on my bike, mabey you should just buy a connie now and be done with it.

The complaints about FJR vibration just amaze me. Never realized my FJR was buzzy. My 01 Concours; now that was buzzy but it still wasn't a problem.

I like the new Concours, maybe I'll buy one when I wear my FJR out.

I feel if I want a bike any smoother than my FJR I will look to buy an electric. :unsure:

I like to feel the grunt, hear the sound, and sense the vibration of a powerful well engineered machine.

Maybe I am corrupted, my other bike is a Suzuki TLR and my car has a Yamaha engine. :D