FJR Hard Bags, the TSA and Airline Travel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Ford

Reaction score
Anyone ever travel on the airlines with their hard bags? My wife usually flys out and meets me halfway through my tours, and rides back home with me. When I had a cruiser, the wife usually packed a roll bag that we could just bungee to the luggage rack or saddle bags. With the FJR and the OEM top case, it would make sense to have her use it as a suitcase when she flys.

Anyone ever try to check hard cases like these? My biggest concern is keeping them locked in transit. I'm not sure the top case would stay latched without the handle being locked with a key. Last time I flew, the TSA wanted my bags unlocked at the check-in counter.

I'd be afraid of scratching or damaging the hard cases. Why not just have her pack the liner and carry that on the plane while you ride with a case empty?

If you don't lock the hard bags they just won't stay shut. The only locks our TSA friends approve are those that have a little hole in the bottom that they can open just by putting a little pin in. You wouldn't be allowed to take them I'm sure.

Did'ja try calling the airline and asking?

I wouldn't send my cases through the airline's luggage system. Have you seen the way they throw those things around? :dribble:

I'm retired from the airlines..........under no circumstances check the hard cases....... :dribble:

It's already been said, but holy crap, there are very few circumstances where I would check a $700 bag and expect it to not get really damaged. I think the soft case with her/empty case with you was a good idea.

FWIW, my wife has flown to meet me two different time. Once at WFO, and the other time in North Carolina. Both times, I packed for me, and left her with our Rally Pack bag. She was limited to what she could carry in the bag, and I was limited to what I could carry on the bike. When I picked her up, we put it all together and it worked out fine.

$9 duffle from walmart. throw away, if can't pack, buy another when you need to come back. They should fold up pretty small thou. Whether or not the airlines would accept, just imagine them being thrown all over the place by the packing folks.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever travel on the airlines with their hard bags? My wife usually flys out and meets me halfway through my tours, and rides back home with me. When I had a cruiser, the wife usually packed a roll bag that we could just bungee to the luggage rack or saddle bags. With the FJR and the OEM top case, it would make sense to have her use it as a suitcase when she flys.

Anyone ever try to check hard cases like these? My biggest concern is keeping them locked in transit. I'm not sure the top case would stay latched without the handle being locked with a key. Last time I flew, the TSA wanted my bags unlocked at the check-in counter.
You'd have to build a solid and padded box for each and then the weight would kill you. The alternative is to ship them ahead & pick them up.

When on my fly& drives, I either rent a bike with bags and leave my suitcase at the rental shop, or take a waterproof duffle from a military surplus store, then use trash bags inside of that.

Last time I flew back from a Michigan to Florida ride last fall I used the soft bags to return home with. One was counted as a personal ( Like a breifcase or for the ladies a purse ). The other was carry on. I flew Airtran and had no problem. I left my heavier clothing, boots helmet etc in the hardbags in storage.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm a bit leery of letting the TSA and airline goons handle my bags, but had to toss the question out there. I guess the point is moot anyway since the bags wouldn't pass muster with TSA anyway.

Terri flew out to Denver and rode back from NAFO with me, Duffle bags work great. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_0424.jpg

Terri flew out to Denver and rode back from NAFO with me, Duffle bags work great. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_0424.jpg

Dont touch my junk... i mean trunk!

My wife works as a TSA screener @ Daytona; and before you ask, no she isn't happy about the new rapescan or frisking policy either!

I don't think using the bags would be a problem from their end except as has been mentioned above:

> You couldn't lock it unless using something they could open aka a TSA approved lock

> I'd be more afraid of damaging the finish from the luggage goons throwing them around. At Daytona, the airlines use strong college kids and pay 'em a little over minimum wage; think about it...

> If it were me, I'd consider either of two ideas above: ship via UPS/FedEx, or keep the hard cases with you and have her bring duffle bags OR the stock liners. You might could also consider putting the hard cases in a box and put them on the plane that way...

Just a thought; I know I scratch mine up enough by myself, I don't need help!