FJR Mileage Milestones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James - How many miles on the new(er) engine? Seems to me is was fairly low mileage when you put it in and your bike was over 200,000 miles at the time.
Ross, the original engine died at 213k, the replacement engine supposedly had 11k on it when I bought it, so it now has an additional 26k miles on (total: 37k miles).
250,000 - 213,000 = 37,000 miles

+ 11,000 = 48,000 miles total

New math!!

Last edited by a moderator:
James - How many miles on the new(er) engine? Seems to me is was fairly low mileage when you put it in and your bike was over 200,000 miles at the time.
Ross, the original engine died at 213k, the replacement engine supposedly had 11k on it when I bought it, so it now has an additional 26k miles on (total: 37k miles).
250,000 - 213,000 = 37,000 miles

+ 11,000 = 48,000 miles total

New math!!
Why "new math", the engine is just one part of the bike, there's a whole lot more to keeping a high mileage bike running than just the engine. I'm sticking with my math
rolleyes.gif

Perhaps I am mis-interpreting your numbers? I was calculating the total mileage on the new motor. You put 37,000 on it in addition to the 11,000 it already had. Should be good for another 150,000 miles!

Perhaps I am mis-interpreting your numbers? I was calculating the total mileage on the new motor. You put 37,000 on it in addition to the 11,000 it already had. Should be good for another 150,000 miles!
My bad, I thought there was some sort of "rule" to say that just because you swapped the engine the mileage on the bike was reset. That was my point that as far as I'm concerned it's a package deal, i.e. the motor is just one part of the bike which, like many other parts will need replacement/repair over time. To me the bike's mileage is cumulative and remains with the bike irrespective of the repairs done to keep the bike running...

I agree, another 150k miles on this FJR will suit me just fine, and hopefully a bit easier and quicker to accumulate being in Oz than it was in Japan given the larger landmass.

No "rule" on replacement parts, as far as I know. Engine is still a part, albeit a major one! Mine is around 163,000 at this point and I hope to get another 50,000 before I have to do anything major. Congrats again on the major milestone.

My bad, I thought there was some sort of "rule" to say that just because you swapped the engine the mileage on the bike was reset. That was my point that as far as I'm concerned it's a package deal, i.e. the motor is just one part of the bike which, like many other parts will need replacement/repair over time. To me the bike's mileage is cumulative and remains with the bike irrespective of the repairs done to keep the bike running...

I agree, another 150k miles on this FJR will suit me just fine, and hopefully a bit easier and quicker to accumulate being in Oz than it was in Japan given the larger landmass.
I agree with James, the engine is the vehicle, car or motorcycle, etc. once replaced mileage goes back to zero. If you go to sell that motorcycle, you'll tell them it's has a replacement engine with only X amount of miles on it, regardless of what the odometer says on it and then show them proof, so you can get a better deal for your motorcycle. Even with the miles I had on my first FJR1300, 2003, the rep at yamaha, told me that was no big deal, the engines are made to get 500,000 miles on them.!! P.S. I'm not riding yet this year, but hope to be riding soon.

Caladin posted: Finally hit 160,934km on my 2013. Also known as 100,000 miles. Glad to join the 100k club.
Respect, brother! (and thanks for the conversion to US units.
coolsmiley02.gif
)

2014 bought as a leftover into the 2015 model year, it's my 5th FJR. I was on the original 2003 PDP deposit program, had one of the first FJR's to hit the states. I did 27k on this bike in it's first year, then I "un-retired". I racked up some decent miles on a KLR and well restored V-65 Magna that same year. As a result of "un-retiring", I'm just over 40k in miles on the current FJR however, still riding the KLR and Magna too. Works for me, I will buy my next one the next time it's in this or similar red which has garnered me more "whoa, nice bike" than any bike I have ever owned. I still like to knock out a few days of 1k per day just to prove that an old de-horned 60 year old geezer living his dreams can still do that. But, I admit that the realization that every time I ride by some things I need to stop. As we age, we realize there comes a time when we have to accept that we may be passing something for the last time. Still, if I want to grind out the miles, this bike lets me do it like the 40's something year old dude I was when I accepted delivery of the first one. YMMV.
smile.png

Image assist - for some reason, the URL was wrong ...

I see you fixed the image. Congratulations on the milestone.

300000KMsmall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: