FJR not what is cracked up to be

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 06 ae also suffers from the head wobbles, likewise when decelerating from 50, heard somewher that it can be cured with replacement aftermarket tapered head bearings. I just dont let go of the bars!
Change of tires stopped the head wobbles for me-the latest BT-020 do not wobble in the least, where the stock Metzlers did wobble

my 06 ae also suffers from the head wobbles, likewise when decelerating from 50, heard somewher that it can be cured with replacement aftermarket tapered head bearings. I just dont let go of the bars!
Change of tires stopped the head wobbles for me-the latest BT-020 do not wobble in the least, where the stock Metzlers did wobble
+1

Pilot Powers = no decel wobble.

Metz and Storms did

OK.... I'll add my 2cents and then shut up. I live in OH near Heet. I met up with him at lunch today and we swapped bikes. I also have an 06. Only difference is I have 9k miles, Heet has 6k.
Your bike = no wobble his = mucho wobble.

Swap your front tire, rim and all for his and then ride.

See if you bike wobbles and his does not.

If it does wobble on you bike, then you have narrowed down to a bad tire/rim/ or balance.

If It does not you have narrowed down to a bad head bearing, bent forks or genreally bad tripple tree on his bike.

You could prob swap both tires in 30 or less.

I think the answer is to make a check-off sheet and do a process of elimination with the good advise already given. Obviously this is a Tune/rider fit problem and not something inherent to the FJR (of any year).

I think the wobble issue is a combo problem. First, Adjust the suspension to fit the rider and gear weight. I'll bet the suspension is way off, with respect to damping, and with wrong sag setting. Suspect the obvious.

The great thing about the FJR is that the design allows us to work on it ourselves.

Look directly to the left of this statement.

What is amazing about this forum is the first time anyone says anyting negative about the all mighty FJR, they get ridiculed. I am not whining; I am looking for hopefully answers to my concerns and to see if others have had the same issues and how they may have corrected them.

I am not saying anything about your mother I am stating facts about the issues I have with the FJR I purchased.
I too recently purchased an 07 FJR and the front end wobbles at the same speed and lower to about 15mph or so. I have the Michelin Roadtec Z6's. I have about 1500 miles on it and have not had a chance to bring it in. I work off shore. But I soon will. The only thing I notice injection wise is popping on decelleration? That and the buffeting with the stock screen or the tall Yam. screen. Along with the backpressure when the screen is up , from half to full up.

I've had 79 bikes over lotsa years and this is my second FJR. My '03 FJR was traded after it became apparent that it could cook a turkey on Thanksgiving, or any other day the ambient temp was above 80F!

OTOH that problem was solved with the '06 model year FJR. Only two minor complaints I've had: throttle vibration (mostly damped out with Grip Puppies) and a typical not supportive enough saddle for long distance riding. At her 600 mile service a TBS was performed as well as throttle cable adjustment. Like my first one the throttle after 600 miles felt like it was in a different time zone than the engine! The CAREFUL service fixed that and of course the rear end was pulled and properly lubed. Like my '03 the splines were almost dry.

Unfortunately my '06 did not come with the BS like my '03 had, I much prefer their grip and feedback compared to the Metzlers that are on her.

The FJR may not be the "perfect" bike, but for my preferences the '06 is as close as anything I've had! Good luck....DFO

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening - I hope everyone's weekend was better than mine. Well I thought I should post an update on the issue I am having with my FJR.

I want to thank Wildman for meeting me for lunch on Friday and showing me how a real FJR handles. If my bike was 75% of his bike I would complain.

I trailered the fjr over to IN on Friday; had to indure a night with the outlaws (inlaws to some). The are nice but they love watching the travel or history channel which makes for a long night.

I headed over to the dealership and got there at 10 am; informed them of the hesitation, the vapor lock and the front end wobble. They seemed very customer friendly and insured me that I would leave satisfied. I felt like I should go ahead and have the bike serviced while it was out of commision. So I added an oil change etc to the list.

I was stationed at Grissom AFB for 5 years from 1987 - 1992 which is only 5 miles down the road, felt like it was time to travel back in time and check the base out since it was closed in 1993. The base has changed dramatically. Well I was driving around with my trailer and forgot to put the pins on the back; hit a bump and the tailgate came half out and hit the ground bending the one side; no problem, I was so elated that my bike was going to get fixed so who cares about the trailer. I put the tailgate back in and unfortunitly it came out again on US 31 on the way back to the dealer. Oops; oh well who cares the bike is going to be fixed and that is all that matters.

Well around 11:45 they call me back and explain that the finished the oil change; throttle body sync and explained they had to adjust the "air bleeds" 1/4 turn beyond spec to get the bike to run correctly; I am not sure exactly what that means but the hesitation seems to be better or even all the way gone. I take off on the bike go down the road and sure as shit the front end wobbles just as bad as before. They told me the tightened the head bearings and that was all they could do; the mechanic had to leave at 12 as he was going to a race. They explained it could be my tires; if you didn't read the early posts I changed the tires thinking this would alleviate the wobble; nope still there. I requested they put new tires on; their response "you just put tires on"; but it still wobbles. I was willing to spend an addition $500 bucks to either prove it was the tires or something was still wrong with the bike. Well they didn't have size in stock. Maybe it is your suspension settings they informed me; I exclaimed "adjust them". They told me that suspension settings were a personal preference. I explained I prefer no wobble and they had my permission to do what ever adjustements were necessary. Finally the owner came out and rode the fjr; told me that he could see the wobble when he took his hands off the handlebars and suggested that I not ride like that. No manufacturer will tell you to take your hands off the bars. He then proceeded to tell me the story of the Gold Wing and how they fought the battle with Honda for 20 years on their front end vibration. I was asked repeadely if I was trying to get them to buy the bike back; I informed them no I just want if to run correctly.

So today I call the dealer and they inform me that they are playing phone tag with Yamaha. I explained I thought about it over the weekend and wanted to know if they would be willing to repurchase the bike; and I was informed my best bet would be to hold to the bike and enjoy this fall and trade it in in the spring. How in the hell am I suppose to enjoy it? Bunch of idiots.

I then call Yamaha to file a complaint. What a waste; this company has absolutely no customer service. The first person that I spoke with seemed very interested in my complaint, took a lot of information and talked with me over over 30 minutes; then informed me that he would have to transfer me to the tech line; I spoke to that representative for over 20 minutes reiterating everything I told the first guy and she was so surprized that the dealer has not contacted them. I was put on hold for them to call the dealer for approx another 15-20 minutes. They came back on the line and informed me that the dealer was indeed attempting to get a hold of them and for me to contact the dealer. I asked for a case number or contact name if I had any future concerns, she informed that all communication should go through the dealer.

I have now spent $400 for tires; $100 to trailer the bike to IN and $170 for servicing not to mention having to spend the night with the outlaws and I am absolutely no better off.

So it looks like the best thing for me is to hang it up. As soon as I get the power commander off the bike I will be posting that as well as the trunk for sale.

I appreciate everyones suggestions and advice; but the bottom line is I think I got the Monday bike, a lemon or what ever else you want to call it and would better off with another manufacturer.

Drive safe, have fun and appreciate the fact you can do it on an Fjr. For me looks like I will go back to a cruiser.

Heet, I'm really sorry to hear all that... simply sucks the big one. I can appreciate your frustration, anger. Makes me mad to simply read about it.

Lotta other makers and bikes out there, you'll find one that fills your needs.

Again, sorry you had to be tortured.

Lennie

Heet, Did you buy this bike new? I didn't see that you every posted what year it is, or whether you bought it new or not. It sounds like it is possible the bike has been wrecked. As everyone else here has said what you have experianced is not normal for a FJR. Even if you bought it new it is possible that either the dealer you bought it from wrecked it before you bought it, or if the dealer got it from another dealer, that dealer wrecked it.

Another question is whether you had the bags and top box empty when you and Wildman test rode it. Everyone forgets it, but Yamaha has always cautioned owner to NOT use the top box and saddlebags at the same time. I know a lot of people do, but Yamaha says not to. It may be interesting to ride the bike without any luggage just to see if it makes any difference.

I find it interesting that the question of what brand of tire was installed to try to fix the problem, but it has never been answered. Why is that Heet? There have been many people who got the same type of wobble from Avon tires. I have experiance the same thing on other bikes when I got a old tire that had been collecting dust in the back room for a few years before I mounted it.

What the dealer was talking about in regard to turning the screws is the mixture screws that adjust the throttle bodies. My dealer did the same thing the first time I took it there. They backed all the screws out so far that you couldn't adjust the idle speed.

If you state has a lemon law, use it to make them buy it back.

Hope you can get your bike to work like a good FJR does. You will really love the bike then!

Sorry to hear about your problems, Heet. I haven't had any such issues with my '03. If it were me, I wouldn't stop calling Yamaha and the dealer until someone fixed the bike. It's still under warranty after all.

Just my opinion.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

<snip>..... except for the Utah Hiway cop that flashed his lights at me to slow down.
You were traveling at the perfect speed -- any faster and you'd of gotten a ticket, any slower and you'd be wastng time.... :D

Good thing my "perfect" speed was about 25 mph slower than a few minutes before! <BG>

Those big old flat spaces between the mountains out on US 50 in Utah are nice... the mountains are nice too!<G>

Mary

Hey just joined the site, hello all.... Heet I live in ohio and bought a 07 FJR about 6 weeks ago. Next day i headed to Chicago, buddies and I went for a hotdog, then rode back.. On that trip i noticed a wobble. Took it in for the 600 mile check up, told them about it. They said everything was tight and to spec...a week later the gang headed to gatlinburg for a 4 day weekend...wobble got worse. When i got back i took it back to the dealer here In Springfield. I told them that it was still wobbling...The sevice manager took it out and said he agrees that it isn't normal or acceptable. After several calls to Yamaha they decided to put a new tire on sice after 2500 miles it had cupping already. I asked if that dont fix it then what...They would trade the whole front wheel, tire and ect. from a floor model....He called me last night and said the new tire took out about 50% for the wobble, then they swapped with the other bike and it ALL went away...So now they are call Yamaha to get the whole wheel, tire and ect. sent to them...Thats should be in Wen. of next week. This is my first post so I hope i followed everything proper. I got rid of my 2000 VFR to get this bike. Guess why i traded.....? The VFR had a wobble that I could not get out....lol So you can imagine the talks I have had with the service manager and store manager here. Hope all this made sence and maybe helped alil....Thx all Wizo