FJR purchase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Reaction score
Well it looks like I may be coming over to a FJR. I'm on a ST1300 now and love the bike (I've had 2 ST1100's and this is my second ST1300) so it goes without saying that I like ST's. I'm just having alot of heat issues with it that I don't seem to be able to get rid of (other than that I love the bike). I had a 04 FJR but it was a cooker also but form what I understand the 06/07 models are alot better. No offence to anyone but I just don't care for the black cherry color (if we all like the same thing it would be boring) but I found a dealer who is willing to swap out all the painted parts with a AE model (I do like the silver). I think I'm going to do it so I may be back on a FJR by this weekend.

Gary

Hey Gary,

I'm a big fan of the silver too, don't have to worry about matching your gear to the bike although road rash would match the black cherry after a couple days I suppose. :black eye:

Sounds like a sweet deal, good luck!

Good luck on the purchase Gary. As I'm sure you know you can expect more "buzzing" around 5-6K RPMs on the FJR than the ST but other than that I'm sure you'll love the Gen II FJR. Be sure and take some pics and let us know how you like it when you get a chance.

Well it looks like I may be coming over to a FJR. I'm on a ST1300 now and love the bike (I've had 2 ST1100's and this is my second ST1300) so it goes without saying that I like ST's. I'm just having alot of heat issues with it that I don't seem to be able to get rid of (other than that I love the bike). I had a 04 FJR but it was a cooker also but form what I understand the 06/07 models are alot better. No offence to anyone but I just don't care for the black cherry color (if we all like the same thing it would be boring) but I found a dealer who is willing to swap out all the painted parts with a AE model (I do like the silver). I think I'm going to do it so I may be back on a FJR by this weekend.
Gary
Go with the 2008 Black ... cool bike.

But, I'm with you, the black cherry 2007 was not my particular cup-o-tea.

Gary
Go with the 2008 Black ... cool bike.

But, I'm with you, the black cherry 2007 was not my particular cup-o-tea.
Well I'm sure the black will look great but I had a black 98 St1100 and never again. I'm to much of a clean freak and the black is impossible....but when its clean its hard to beat.

Gary

Well I'm sure the black will look great but I had a black 98 St1100 and never again. I'm to much of a clean freak and the black is impossible....but when its clean its hard to beat.Gary
Or find someone with an AE who is willing to trade body panels and sidecases. I'll guarantee you that the blue is not much easier to keep clean and dust free than black.

Well to each his own but man I do like my black cherry, it is what ultimately pushed me over the edge to buy the FJR... good luck! hope you get the one you want. Here's a pic of my ugly black cherry from just a few hours ago :glare:

khrome
a5380c8a5552bef6376f10873cd4f1a60_large.jpg

I like the black cherry too. One of my complaints about all these metric bikes is the lack of color options, though. I come from the Harley world where you can pick from bunches of colors every year. I really don't like only have one or two color options per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offence to anyone but I just don't care for the black cherry color (if we all like the same thing it would be boring) but I found a dealer who is willing to swap out all the painted parts with a AE model (I do like the silver).Gary
Wow. Sounds like a remarkably cooperative dealer. I might have thought to ask my own to do that, if there'd been a snowball's chance he might. I liked the silver on the AE, but not the clutchless feature. I don't mind the black cherry, however.

I've never owned an FJR before, put I've put a few Summer miles on an '05. I believe the heat is some better on these later models, but in traffic, on a hot day, it's still a very warm bike.

Well I'm sure the black will look great but I had a black 98 St1100 and never again. I'm to much of a clean freak and the black is impossible....but when its clean its hard to beat.Gary
Or find someone with an AE who is willing to trade body panels and sidecases. I'll guarantee you that the blue is not much easier to keep clean and dust free than black.
Now,now..I never said the black cherry was ugly. I just like the silver better...I like the 06 blue even better than that. :)

Colour (Oz) is subjective, I have had a number of black bikes and a superb 5.7 litre Holden (Chevy) they are a bitch to keep clean but the effort is worth it, my 07 is in Blue and Silver and still attracts dust like a shit magnet....

Now,now..I never said the black cherry was ugly. I just like the silver better...I like the 06 blue even better than that. :)
I know Gary I was just yankin your chain, I normally really like silver on bikes, my 02 ZZR1200 and 04 ZRX1200r was silver. But opposite of you, the silver isn't as appealing to me on the FJR. I think its kewl you got them to switch the panels though :clapping:

khrome

One of my complaints about all these metric bikes is the lack of color options, though. I come from the Harley world where you can pick from bunches of colors every year. I really don't like only have one or two color options per year.
that which you lose in color options, you gain in usable torque, horsepower, and all day comfort... ;)

Just do what I did! Buy one, crash it, then paint it your own custom color! :yahoo:
nice choice...

tho, i'd opt for goldwing pearlesent yellow... <shurg>

dana