FJR Sale Title Transfer etc. Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebiodiesel

I wish I could think of something witty to put her
Reaction score
I am requesting help from any Forum Member that has sold a bike over the internet, or through this Forum.

I have agreed to purchase a bike that is offered for sale here. I am in NY, and the bike is in North Carolina. The current owner of the bike and I only know each other through this sale, which is to say not at all. We are not distrustful of each other...but we're not begging for trouble by proceeding with abandon.

Because it is still snowing in Central NY, and can continue to do that for the next month or so, it would be convenient if I didn't have to fly down and drive it home immediately. I'm sure, however, that the current owner would like to get paid sometime soon, and I'd also like to complete the transaction soon as well.

I have a friend that lives near the current owner. He has agreed to deliver a bank check to the current owner and pick up the bike for me. The current owner is concerned about delivering the bike to anyone other than me personally.

It is not out of the question for me to get there this month, but risky, as I may not be able to ride it home once I get there due to NY weather. It would be way more convenient for me to pick it up at a later date, once all the road salt is washed off the roads.

My question is: Has anyone ever delivered a sold bike to a third party? What, if anything, did you do to ensure you are protected in the sale?

I want both of us to be comfortable with the transaction.

Any advice is welcome.

Joe

I've bought bikes form Craigslist, eBay, and local classifieds. My only issue is that cashiers checks aren't the gold standard they once were. A coworker was scammed by a bogus cashiers check, the vehicle has never surfaced. If you are going to have a friend pick it up, send the seller the check and let your friend pick the bike after the check clears. If that's not agreeable to you or the seller, send a check or bank transfer to your friend, let them clear it, cash it, and take cash to the seller. At that point why would a seller care who picked up the bike, cash talks. I drove 400 miles to get my FJR with ~$6500 cash in my pocket. The two bikes I sold before buying the FJR were cash transactions >$6000 each. If you want the bike there's a way to get the sale done. Of course this all hinges on a clear title in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am requesting help from any Forum Member that has sold a bike over the internet, or through this Forum.

I have agreed to purchase a bike that is offered for sale here. I am in NY, and the bike is in North Carolina. The current owner of the bike and I only know each other through this sale, which is to say not at all. We are not distrustful of each other...but we're not begging for trouble by proceeding with abandon.

Because it is still snowing in Central NY, and can continue to do that for the next month or so, it would be convenient if I didn't have to fly down and drive it home immediately. I'm sure, however, that the current owner would like to get paid sometime soon, and I'd also like to complete the transaction soon as well.

I have a friend that lives near the current owner. He has agreed to deliver a bank check to the current owner and pick up the bike for me. The current owner is concerned about delivering the bike to anyone other than me personally.

It is not out of the question for me to get there this month, but risky, as I may not be able to ride it home once I get there due to NY weather. It would be way more convenient for me to pick it up at a later date, once all the road salt is washed off the roads.

My question is: Has anyone ever delivered a sold bike to a third party? What, if anything, did you do to ensure you are protected in the sale?

I want both of us to be comfortable with the transaction.

Any advice is welcome.

Joe
I would imagine if you send the current owner a picture of the check, xerox of your license and a xerox of your buddies license and he shows up WITH THE SAME COPIES.... it should be OK. He doesnt actually sign the bike over, just signs the registration.

Joe,

Why don't you get the Seller's Bank Wire # and Fax/Email (or Notorized) him a release of the Cycle to your Named Friend.

Have your Friend, before the Wire Release, Confirm the Cycle'S VIN on the Title at the Seller's Bank.

Then everyone should be Happy and Safe !

Last edited by a moderator:
$ to your buddy in whatever form agreeable to buyer. Title mailed to you with your buddy and seller together

A couple of things need to happen (in no particular order).

1. Laws regarding the purchase and transfer of motor vehicles vary from state to state. In Washington (where I live) the new owner has ten days to transfer the title. This can only be done if the signed off title from the seller is in hand.

2. If the seller gets the money in the form he/she is comfortable with everything should be fine. You absolutely do not have to be there. If need be, go down to your vehicle licensing agency and ask them for a power of attorney. They will give it to you free. This limited power of attorney will allow your friend to sign any documents the seller requests on your behalf.

3. Get the signed off title, registration and signed bill of sale.

4. Because the vehicle is an out of state purchase, you may or may not be required to have it inspected, (usually by the State Patrol) to ensure it meets current smog regulations and is not stolen.

5. If it turns out it has to be inspected, let them know in advance that you may not be able to get it done right away due to weather. The DMV people are generally pretty cool and have dealt with a lot crazier stuff than this.

6. Get your insurance on the bike started the day you do the transaction.

At the end of the day, this is an easy transaction. It just requires a few more steps.

Bob

You could just send the money to your buddy and have him buy the bike (as himself). Then have him sign the title over to you in a month when you pick it up. Not sure if that works in NY, but in Oregon, there are several lines for reassignment of the vehicle and the only time DMV needs to be involved is if you want the title officially transferred over into your name. The reassignments in Oregon are perfectly legal and if I remember right there a about 3 lines on on the back of every title for that. Not sure if that possible in NY though.

You could just send the money to your buddy and have him buy the bike (as himself). Then have him sign the title over to you in a month when you pick it up. Not sure if that works in NY, but in Oregon, there are several lines for reassignment of the vehicle and the only time DMV needs to be involved is if you want the title officially transferred over into your name. The reassignments in Oregon are perfectly legal and if I remember right there a about 3 lines on on the back of every title for that. Not sure if that possible in NY though.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm not sure how it's all going to shake out yet, but I'm still more excited about getting a new bike than I am worried about the details. :)

Joe

Hey Joe, I just noticed your current rides line. I have a 2010 300 XC-W as well. Pretty cool bikes we have :)

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm not sure how it's all going to shake out yet, but I'm still more excited about getting a new bike than I am worried about the details. :)

Joe
Why not have it shipped? My guess you are looking at around $500.00 to get it to your door. Surely it would cost that much to fly down and drive back. You know how those NY tolls can be. ;) I have seen it posted several times by peeps on this forum.

Good luck

Dave

I would recommend running it by your local DMV to make sure the paperwork is up to snuff.....they have ways of screwing up your day.

Joe
One thing to be aware of - when I bought a bike in New York (I live in WV) I checked the NY Dept. of Motor Vehicles website to make sure I could get a temp tag. I had all of the necessary paperwork, but when I got to the DMV they would NOT give me a temp tag even though I had printed off the instructions and had all required documentation. They called Albany to confirm and the reason given to me was that you have to put the temp tag in your back window and since motorcycles don't have back windows they couldn't give me a temp tag. The NY DMV employes the dumbest ass-holes on the face of the planet. Fortunately the guy I was buying the bike from was a good guy and he let me use his tag to get home.

Everything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong!!!

Other than that, good luck :)

Everything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong!!!

Other than that, good luck :)
huuummmm...a believer in an actual, live Murphy living in hell...or at least, a glass half empty kinda guy :rolleyes:

nah, just pulling ya chain...I'm an optimist to a fault (well wifey mentions head in the sand frequently) :dribble:

yes, best of luck and I can sense the dream of riding ya own Feej real soon :clapping:

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

:yahoo: