FJR Tech Day XIII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cruise control is still misbehaving, but that'll likely be a project for the next Tech Day. A chance to do some homework on what the problem could be and be better prepared with things to do. WynPro plates are on the list I think.
We told Timmy how to fix his cruise. It's a very simple solution. Buy a '16 FJR. Dumbass.
Or '14 or '15

I had a great time. Big thanks to Andy and Sooze for being such great hosts. Glad I was able to catch at least part of the Tech Day weekend.

See you all down the road.

Had great time. I think I gained 10 pounds, though. Sooze put on one hell of a feed. Thanks again Sooze! I thanked Andy, but he was honest, saying all he did was open the garage door!

I did a total of 1072 miles out and back. I thought I took a more direct route going home, but only shaved off 4 miles! I hit rain at the WV border and stayed in rain until VA. It is the first time I couldn't wait to get out of WV. Once I got over Shenandoah MT.the temp climbed to the upper 80's and stayed there the rest of the way. At least I was dry by the time I got home.

All I know is this: I'm covering si.e graveyard shifts soon. A couple people are gonna get phone calls.
Come on now! I didn't wake you up! Had to share with you, though. Andy said it was "tradition"!

We told Timmy how to fix his cruise. It's a very simple solution. Buy a '16 FJR. Dumbass.
Or '14 or '15
Do either of you know a good divorce attorney?
I think Gray Ray might be able to give you the name of his ex's attorney...
lol.gif

I had a great time. Big thanks to Andy and Sooze for being such great hosts. Glad I was able to catch at least part of the Tech Day weekend.
See you all down the road.
I was trying to keep up with all the on-agains, off-agains, but.... i got dizzy.... then again, maybe it was the gas from the brisket sprinkles ;) lmao!

Seriously, glad it was a success!

Sorry guys, no 2016 for me.

I decided to experiment with the dip switches. The #7 switch, which is the Tach Source Select was Off. That means it was set to ECM instead of Coil. Flipped that back to On and that was consistent with this install. Took it for a ride and now the cruise is rock solid. It made a huge difference and sets almost instantly. No idea why it was off and maybe I've been running it wrong the entire time. But I'm sure that tightening stuff up only improved the functionality.

When Wayne checked his, he said he just had switch #1 and #4 on, which were the same as mine were at Tech Day. And I got my CCS from him, so it makes sense that they are already set the same. I'm just not sure why his isn't acting up and mine was. Oh well, it's working now!
punk.gif

Sorry guys, no 2016 for me.
I decided to experiment with the dip switches. The #7 switch, which is the Tach Source Select was Off. That means it was set to ECM instead of Coil. Flipped that back to On and that was consistent with this install. Took it for a ride and now the cruise is rock solid. It made a huge difference and sets almost instantly. No idea why it was off and maybe I've been running it wrong the entire time. But I'm sure that tightening stuff up only improved the functionality.

When Wayne checked his, he said he just had switch #1 and #4 on, which were the same as mine were at Tech Day. And I got my CCS from him, so it makes sense that they are already set the same. I'm just not sure why his isn't acting up and mine was. Oh well, it's working now!
punk.gif

And that right there is why tech days are so helpful. Not being rude by any stretch but Tim,

like the lot of us were clueless fucks (Andy)

Then somebody started tech days and we that were/ are stupid (Andy) learned stuff.

Pretty soon not only were we fixing our own stuff, we were fixing or helping to fix other clueless bastages ( Andy) stuff.

More of you guys need to get onboard and do this.. The guys that have no clue ( Andy) would enjoy learning how to fix stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where to start.Great time, great friends, weather was good, food excellent, beer cold, FJR knowledge was unbelievable to watch. I second what Bust said," We need to do more of these."

A few of my high points:

Met up with intech in Marietta Friday, great ride on the flat, straight, and boring's up to Andy's (intech can really fly but that's not his long suit. ) We get to Andy's and Andy is having trouble with the idle on his bike. Intech rips off the tank and starts poking around. I have never looked under an FJR tank before. What a mess of wires, tubes, cables, electrical components, and all manner of unrecognizable stuff. After about 5 minutes of looking around intech says, "The little thing-a-ma-gig that the throttle adjustment nut rests on is missing."

What? Who knows this stuff? A little piece of nothing, that's supposed to be somewhere that it's not, and Bob recognizes that it is missing.

Bob goes to his little black bag and pulls out an electrical connector, snips off one end, bends the other end, stuffs it in somewhere, and ba-da-bing, problem solved.

Ray and Bill are equally as knowledgeable in all manner of FJR tech. stuff.

Andy tops them all, he tore off my valve stem caps and set my tire pressure at spec. 65 p.s.i. in front and 18 p.s.i. in the rear, then torqued down the valve stem caps back to spec..

Andy is my hero.

A thoroughly great time was had by one and all. I can't wait until next year.

Andy is what I hope to be whenever I learn the real mechanical stuff.

Right now, I'm on probation for headlight installation.

Good going Geek! You hosted another great Techday...and kudos to your lovely wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!!

His already fat head swelled two sizes wheaties! Now how's he supposed to fit that Mellon into his helmet before Thursday?

Oh yea, one more thing that I forgot. I was having such a good time on the way home that I got a performance award from one of Ohio's finest.

68 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. The Statie hands me the ticket and says,"You're 70 years old, Don't you think it's about time that you slowed down?"

I replied , in my most respectful voice,"Yes sir." and under my breath FYYFF

More of you guys need to get onboard and do this.. The guys that have no clue ( Andy) would enjoy learning how to fix stuff.
I'll admit there was an intimidation factor my first time. I hadn't been on the forum much and didn't know anyone. Thought I would be mocked for my lack of skill. Turns out you don't have to be a mechanic or engineer to go to one of these. If you doubt your ability or skill, there is always someone there to help. And don't underestimate the usefulness of holding a flashlight, finding a wrench, keeping track of parts, etc.