FJR vs Bandit 1250

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheesyRider

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering buying a leftover 2010 or 2011 FJR. I test rode a gen1 a few years ago, but ended up getting a Bandit 1250 as I wasn't able to find a good used FJR and didn't have the funds for a new one. Anyways, my Bandit 1250 is now my wife's bike. Last summer, I talked her into trying it out even though she was a bit intimidated by the weight. She loved the Bandit and claimed it as her own! Now I'm looking to buy another bike just for me. My memory of the FJR test ride is a little foggy , so I'd love to hear some first hand comparisions of the FJR with the bike I'm most familiar with. Thanks!

I've ridden 3 different 1200/1250 Bandits (friends) over the last two years. By the FJR. Complain to your wife that she stole your pride and joy, all the while knowing you came out WAY ahead.

I came from a Bandit 1200. Riding position is very similar, just more protection on the FJR. Both great bikes, FJR handles a little better in stock form. More top end power on the FJR, I did some roll-on races with a friend on his B12 side by side. It's a natural progression to go from the Bandit to the FJR, a lot of former Bandit owners here.

AS others have stated, the FJR offers more protection. The adjustable windshield is my favorite feature because I ride in all weather conditions except ice. I think it handles about the same as the Bandit but the power is better with the FJR. I leave the bags on all the time because it is my main vehicle so I'm always carrying stuff in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trade rags portray the Bandit as a poor man’s sport touring motorcycle. A poor man’s sport touring bike indeed for FJR riders enjoy standard features including wind protection, saddle bags, adjustable windscreen, shaft drive, stock Bandit owners only dream of for the lack of a few dollar more. I enjoy all the standard features on my FJR lacking on the Bandit. Chain drive, yeah they work but yuck. Having 80k on a Vstrom I have had my fill if $200+ chain/sprocket replacements every 15 to 20k miles.

My prior bike was a Bandit 1200. The FJR is definitely the better mile eater. The shaft drive is so much nicer. The FJR has better suspension and I'd say better brakes. The FJR is not as nimble--feels heavier and is not as fun around town. Bandit was a little faster and a lot more exciting--that 8-11000rpm range sounded nasty on that bike. But the FJR, with its gearing and the way they tune the motor, has a great "electric" feel to me that's perfect for touring and longer rides. Both a lot of fun. Just don't drag race your wife or you might get your feelings hurt :D

My prior bike was a Bandit 1200. The FJR is definitely the better mile eater. The shaft drive is so much nicer. The FJR has better suspension and I'd say better brakes. The FJR is not as nimble--feels heavier and is not as fun around town. Bandit was a little faster and a lot more exciting--that 8-11000rpm range sounded nasty on that bike. But the FJR, with its gearing and the way they tune the motor, has a great "electric" feel to me that's perfect for touring and longer rides. Both a lot of fun. Just don't drag race your wife or you might get your feelings hurt :D
Unless you mod out the bandit, from personal experience the FJR will walk away from a B12, and most likely a B1250 too based on the trap speeds I've seen. I did a 40mph 2-3 gear pull with my friend(dirt track racer) on his B12, similar midrange then the FJR walks away pretty good. Probably had about 5 bike lengths on him by 105mph from looking back in my side mirror.

Unless you mod out the bandit, from personal experience the FJR will walk away from a B12, and most likely a B1250 too based on the trap speeds I've seen. I did a 40mph 2nd gear pull with my friend on his B12, similar midrange then the FJR walks away pretty good.
I was gonna say the same thing. I have a buddy with a 1250. The couple of times I have ridden it, it feels faster, but it isn't. The times I rode his, he rode mine because he was interested in getting an FJR, and he thought the FJR definately pulled harder than his Bandit. Either way, when we get on it, the FJR pulls out in front every time, and he's no slouch...

I had 66,000 miles on my 1999 B12 with nary a problem. A fine/fun bike. Tuned it to get about 115 HP at the rear wheel...it rocked. Did 104MPH in the 1/8th mile @7.1", 125 in the 1/4 @11.2". I think My 09 FJR would be about the same. So no big acceleration difference. I think my Bandit had a higher fun factor in that it was light/ flickable and I was more confident on it. The FJR is smoother, electric like engine performance, excellent wind protection, and carries cargo with aplomb. Its heavier weight is noticable but the comfort level is very good. Bought the FJR for long road trips and for that it's superior to my Bandit. Both great bikes in my opinion.

Bill

I had 66,000 miles on my 1999 B12 with nary a problem. A fine/fun bike. Tuned it to get about 115 HP at the rear wheel...it rocked. Did 104MPH in the 1/8th mile @7.1", 125 in the 1/4 @11.2". I think My 09 FJR would be about the same. So no big acceleration difference. I think my Bandit had a higher fun factor in that it was light/ flickable and I was more confident on it. The FJR is smoother, electric like engine performance, excellent wind protection, and carries cargo with aplomb. Its heavier weight is noticable but the comfort level is very good. Bought the FJR for long road trips and for that it's superior to my Bandit. Both great bikes in my opinion.

Bill

A good friend of mine has a 1250 Bandit, I think it's agreat bike for the money. I work in a machine shop so I made some brackets and put my stock FJR windshield on his Bandit and made some risers for the handbars. We also made a rack for the back. With some soft luggage we are good to go. The only problem with the Bandit on long rides is the stock seat is not very good. He had the Spence mod done but didn't notice much change. We ride a lot in VA WV TN and NC so we have some of the best roads you can fine. As far as speed and handling it's a great bike, if you could only find a better seat.

Thanks for the comparisons everyone. I decided to go ahead and buy the FJR. I'm working with a local dealer and if they come through with the price I want, I'll own a new 2011 FJR by the weekend. It is probably crazy to buy it based on a test ride from a few years ago, but I've wanted one ever since they first came out.

It is good to know the FJR is a bit faster than a stock Bandit. I would sometimes toy with the idea of doing the full Holeshot treatment on the Bandit. Maybe when the bank account recovers from the FJR purchase I can talk my wife into it so I can have some extra fun when I borrow her bike.

A little preplanning for you get the FJR. What will be the price your wife have to pay if she claims the FJR????
I need to be careful not to talk her into trying it out this time. We took turns sitting on an FJR in the showroom last weekend. She commented that it seemed huge and felt really heavy. However, that is exactly what she said about the Bandit when she first sat on it.

The only problem with the Bandit on long rides is the stock seat is not very good. He had the Spence mod done but didn't notice much change.
It is interesting how people's butts are different. I could barely stand the Bandits stock seat after 50 miles, but after the Spencer seat mod I could go about 300 miles before my but started to ache. I really like to Corbin I had on my old FZ1. I didn't have too much trouble doing an Iron Butt with that bike. The worst was doing a 750 mile day on my old Intruder 1400 on a brand new Corbin. Between the unbroken in seat and not being able stand on the pegs to give my butt a break, it seamed like a much longer ride. Hopefully I can get by with the stock seat on the FJR for a riding season or two as won't have much discretionary spending money for awhile.

Good choice! You know, there are some great deals on used FJRs. You could save yourself some serious coin and use it for farkles.............

Dale Walker got a lot of my money when I had my Bandit!!!! Great guy. You could always get him on the phone and talk to him personally.

Comparison?

That electric windshield, coupled with the larger touring screen, would make all the difference by itself. Once you reach the 75 mile mark on ANY trip, wind protection is EVERYTHING. Who needs the roar of high speed wind in your ears and the buffeting mile after mile?

Driveshaft vs. chain: no checking, no oiling, no stretching, no replacing, no worn out sprockets... good grief !!!

Appearance: For me, the FJR wins this one, hands down. But of course, everybody's got their own opinion.

Hard bags. Mama Yamma did her homework when she designed those things.

FJR: Feel Jones Reaction... the FJR is addicting. The FJR "Jones" seems to affect all of us. The appearance, the comfort, the craftsmanship, the performance, the reliability: all of us would agree that it's the best bang for your buck available anywhere.

On top of that, you'll get to join this wonderful brotherhood of farklers...

And the best part, you can darkside the thing and enjoy 35k out of your back tire!!! (the voices told me to say that)

Gary

darksider #44