FJR vs BMW K1600GT vs Triumph Trophy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just might give away my updated 1600GT color choice... sure do love da smell of new leather!

photobucket-23350-1351265147975.jpg

Mah Boy is wicked smaht. Good choice.

PS - None of the chicks look at their phones when they are self takin' the boudoir photos... Ya gotta look at the mirror!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mah Boy is wicked smaht. Good choice.

PS - None of the chicks look at their phones when they are self takin' the boudoir photos... Ya gotta look at the mirror!!
...maybe b/c it's scary to look at myself?

As always, thanks for pointing out the small things to me. This is why your my mentor! :)

CAUTION!! CREDIBILITY DISASTER AHEAD --

I don't personally know HotRodZilla, but he does usually make good sense.
Hey Howie....On behalf of Redfishhunter, go fuck yourself with a huge black thermos. Magikmaker can hook you up.

Dayum man, I finally found someone here that likes me and listens to what I say. So you're gonna be your crusty old self and try to run him off. That's bullshit.

Besides, I figured that since both of you are into sea creatures, you'd have some kind of freakish salt-water related bond. Freak!!
I like you big boy!

CAUTION!! CREDIBILITY DISASTER AHEAD --

I don't personally know HotRodZilla, but he does usually make good sense.
Hey Howie....On behalf of Redfishhunter, go fuck yourself with a huge black thermos. Magikmaker can hook you up.

Dayum man, I finally found someone here that likes me and listens to what I say. So you're gonna be your crusty old self and try to run him off. That's bullshit.

Besides, I figured that since both of you are into sea creatures, you'd have some kind of freakish salt-water related bond. Freak!!
I like you big boy!
I like you back bigger boy!!

And NOT like that Don. You Irish pervert. :fuck:

Wow! I rode the k1600GT. What a beast and what a smoooooooo machine. Handling blows away the FJR. FJR is heavier in the steering at slow speeds and turning around.

I won't go on and on, but I felt lthe FJR was ancient when I got back on it. Am iI buying the BMW? Not yet. Waiting for the trophy to come out to ride that.

2013 FJR off the list due to handling and suspension. If BMW was $19,000 I'd buy it today. Not sure about $25,000. Too much buffeting with the stock BMW shield.

I had a K1600, lovely bike, but too many glitches, problems and defects.. so I got rid of it.. the bike was just unreliable and the dealer was unable to sort the issues.

So.. here I am considering old faithful... don't need whiz bang electronics, finicky fuel injectors, etc...

At this point, I just want a bike that plain old works... Put the key in, press the starter button and the bike starts, and the bike runs without issues.. I could care less for electronic adjustable suspension, (price replacement shocks... upwards of $2000 and there are 2 of them on the K16)...

Is the FJR reliable? all day comfortable? Parts are reasonably priced or do I need to Bring More Wallet?

I'm leaning toward the FJR over the Concours14.. Triumph's out: dealer here sucks.

Sounds like my experiences with two other other BMW products - '06 and '09 Mini Cooper S's. Had trouble with both of them, the '09 was the worse. I'll never own any European

cars or motorcycles again. Just too much trouble.

Currently riding an '08 C14 that has been completely trouble free for for 40K. Had an '05 FJR before that, no problems either. I have a '13 FJR on order. Pick either bike, just turn the key and go.

Yes, that is one of the reasons I am about 99% sold on the Feejer over the new Trumpy.

The design is well proven, all the bugs are ironed out. Japanese electronics just work.

I also want to just turn the key and go.

The Trumpy is a first year model....with lots and LOTS of electronics....hmmmm...

The CC switches are on the right hand (throttle) side...stupid. On the Explorer, the (same) CC is a pain to engage.

Too many buttons on the LH grip, and you have to take your hand off the bars to fiddle with them...an accident just waiting to happen in traffic...the radio/stereo is useless over 100 km/hr...you need earphones.

Yamaha does it all with a smart menu arrangement, that allows you to keep your hand on the bar and use your index finger and thumb.....someone has obviously thought that through.

And the Trumpy looks like a bloody barge compared to the svelte FJR - I just love that new faring.

I owned a Gen 2.....and always loved it.

Wow! I rode the k1600GT. What a beast and what a smoooooooo machine. Handling blows away the FJR. FJR is heavier in the steering at slow speeds and turning around.
Interesting. That was not my observation at all. But that was quite a while ago. Will have to spend some quality time on mi bastard step-pappy's K16GT. Of course my 04 does have a nice custom suspension.

…Will have to spend some quality time on mi bastard step-pappy's K16GT.…
Yeah right, I'm going to loan mien schones Fraulein Gisele to a Putz-Schmuck who is known far and wide as "Sir Crash A Lot"??

Many thanks again to MadMike2 for laying that accurate nickname on SkooterG, even a better handle than "El Pendejo Grande"!

I won't go on and on, but I felt lthe FJR was ancient when I got back on it. Am iI buying the BMW? Not yet. Waiting for the trophy to come out to ride that.

2013 FJR off the list due to handling and suspension. If BMW was $19,000 I'd buy it today. Not sure about $25,000. Too much buffeting with the stock BMW shield.
100% Agree with your findings BUT...

it's not apples to apples price wise, so ya better get that better, smoother, more torque and lighter handling (or whatever feeling) u get when you ride that much-more expensive bike. That being said I don't wanna do a direct comparison as it is not fare to the much ea$ier to pocket Feej

I'm a both type of guy, a dependable Chevy (FJR1300) on some rambling days, a luxurious Cadillac (K1600GT) on my other orgasmic days. Both have a worthy place in my garage, one just may be more... "the queen" :D

...FJR is heavier in the steering at slow speeds and turning around.

I guess if my name was Steve and my forum handle was Bungie, I would care about that.

But in my real world of riding: long distance comfort, handling in the sweepers and twisties, my 04 FJR kicks butt. Unless they've really screwed the pooch with the FJR since 2004, I bet that 2013 is pretty damn good.

Also, in my real world, $$ talks. I'm not paying that much more to ride a BMW. I will ride an FJR and know its the best.

But, if $$ is no problem to you, congrats.

100% Agree with your findings BUT...

it's not apples to apples price wise, so ya better get that better, smoother, more torque and lighter handling (or whatever feeling) u get when you ride that much-more expensive bike. That being said I don't wanna do a direct comparison as it is not fare to the much ea$ier to pocket Feej

I'm a both type of guy, a dependable Chevy (FJR1300) on some rambling days, a luxurious Cadillac (K1600GT) on my other orgasmic days. Both have a worthy place in my garage, one just may be more... "the queen" :D
Hmmm....here all this time I thought Hotrodzilla was "the queen"! :lol:

...FJR is heavier in the steering at slow speeds and turning around.

I guess if my name was Steve and my forum handle was Bungie, I would care about that.

But in my real world of riding: long distance comfort, handling in the sweepers and twisties, my 04 FJR kicks butt. Unless they've really screwed the pooch with the FJR since 2004, I bet that 2013 is pretty damn good.

Also, in my real world, $$ talks. I'm not paying that much more to ride a BMW. I will ride an FJR and know its the best.

But, if $$ is no problem to you, congrats.
$ is always a concern, but if that is all I would ever think about then I would be driving a Hugo :lol:

Sometimes you just get sick of ordering off the dollar menu and splurge on a #6. Is it better? for the most part but some like the dollar hamburgers just fine and so be it. Life goes on, variety is a good thing.

$ is always a concern, but if that is all I would ever think about then I would be driving a Hugo :lol:

Sometimes you just get sick of ordering off the dollar menu and splurge on a #6. Is it better? for the most part but some like the dollar hamburgers just fine and so be it. Life goes on, variety is a good thing.
+1

Money is always an object but sometimes you just gotta find out what first class feels like. I can't afford to do it very often and usually find I was happier in the cheap seats, but at least it is good to know.

While I am a little jealous that you have both of those wonderful bikes in your garage, I am happy that we get an honest and knowledgable comparison from one of our forum members. I hope you make more money so you can buy more stuff you can report back to us about. With pics...

+1

Money is always an object but sometimes you just gotta find out what first class feels like. I can't afford to do it very often and usually find I was happier in the cheap seats, but at least it is good to know.

While I am a little jealous that you have both of those wonderful bikes in your garage, I am happy that we get an honest and knowledgable comparison from one of our forum members. I hope you make more money so you can buy more stuff you can report back to us about. With pics...
Yeah but I squeeze here n there to get some of the nicer things I want. I never once flown in 1st class, had chances to get a free upgrade... took an additional flight instead (why?) cuz I felt it was a better deal, so I'm frugal where I have to be and save it here or there so I can spend it on stuff I really want (like my powersport toyz).

If I ever won the Powerball I would probably be more spend-free but since I'm too cheap to buy those (great odds) tickets that won't ever happen!