FJR wont start!! SOS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justrideit

Reaction score
I have been working on and off for the last 3 months on my 05 ABS FJR. Here are the electrical mods I performed prior to the bike ot starting:

*I installed louder horns and used the popular wiring harness sold by one of our members.

*I also installed a power strip. On this strip are the wiring for the horns, heated grips and auxillary power cord for my tankbag (that have both been installed since the second day I got the bike, may 05),

*Installed the 6" LED brake light and modulator.

I noticed back in December that my battery tender would not charge the battery. The charger light would not turn green.

Here are the symptoms - the bike will turn over but not start. The headlights will not come on.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed back in December that my battery tender would not charge the battery. The charger light would not turn green.
Here are the symptoms - the bike will turn over but not start. The headlights will not come on.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Won't start?

If the battery doesn't need a charge the BT's light won't turn red.

Headlights won't come on until motor is on, relay prevents this.

Thaks MR Vrrroom

I thought I remembered that if you touch the starter button enough to roll the engine, but not start the ebgine, the lights come on and stay on.

You will have to back track to the last known good configuration before the changes were made,yes...sometimes we do screw perfectly good machines in the quest to fix what's not broken...

Also,read my thread "Emergency,my FJR won't start",just to rule out that you are also a victim of that...

Yamazuki, where are the coil fuses located?
I founded two (2) 15 amp fuses right beside the coils,if you open up the right side fairing(facing as seated on the bike) ,just take out the black plastic cover opposite of the glove compartment.its just 3 or 4 screws.

Sorry for the delay in the answer!!!

I think the kicker here is that the Battery Tender light doesn't come on. Either the battery is dead, the path to the battery from the tender is dead, or there's something else - like a high current draw somewhere (even with the key off) that causes the battery tender to shut down rather than try to drive it.

Disconnect your farkles from the battery to get the electrical system back to stock state. If the BT lights, you know the fault is in your farkles. If it still won't light, keep troubleshooting. Put a voltmeter across the battery and report the result. Put an ammeter in series with the battery with the key off, report same. Oh, and try the BT on a "known good" vehicle like your car, too.

"Ammeter in series" means: disconnect the ground side of the battery, clip one lead of the ammeter to the now-loose ground wire, connect the other side of the ammeter to the now-naked ground post of the battery. The ammeter should read the current flow, if any. You can do this with the key off (dead draw, should be zero) and key on, but NEVER hit the starter in this configuration: it'll blow up your ammeter (as in fireworks and bodily injury!) unless it's rated for that kind of load.

An ammeter wired as described will probably not indicate zero because the electronics on the FJR draw a little current even when everything is off.

Make sure your meter is fused to protect it from over current before you hook it up.

Well, you won't believe this one!

I had the gas heater in my garage on the other night as I tried to find out why the bike would turn over but not start. The last time I was working on the bike I had the heater going. Darn Michigan nights are cold!!

I found that I had wired in my accessory plug incorrectly and that's why the charger wasn't working. :blink:

I removed all the spark plugs and they smelled like gas but were clean. They all had a bright spark when I tested them. So know I knew I had spark and fuel HMMM.

I had to run to the store for a minute. When I walked back into the garage it felt like it was 90 degrees. Remember, I had the gas heater in my garage going.

It hit me like a ton of bricks and I knew why the bike would not start!! I opened the garage door, let some fresh air circulate and hit the starter button. BINGO, it started.

The ventless heater in the garage depleated the oxygen enough that the EFI system was so rich the bike would not start. I work in the garage all the time with the heater on and have never felt faint from a lack of oxygen. It must be just enough to effect the EFI brain.

Mystery solved. Runs like a top.

Wow.....good find. Now go to a doctor and get yourself checked out for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Wow.....good find.  Now go to a doctor and get yourself checked out for carbon monoxide poisoning.
CHRIST !!

Odot, you are absolutely right -

justrideit, if you 'felt' the effects of CO poisoning, would even be conscious enough to know it?

Cold is better than DEAD !! Vent your garage !!!

Crap - take a sawzall and cut a hole in the wall !!!

Do Not Remove Yourself From The Gene Pool !!!

I can see it now. "05 abs fjr for sale in michigan. Owner no longer able to ride as brain has turned to mush from c02 poisoning." But, hey.....gotta love that woozy feeling you get in the garage with a motor running.

:wacko:

For sure, take this near catastrophy seriously(I think you have). Get yourself a carbon monoxide monitor/alarm and vent that garage as earlier mentioned. Once carbon monoxide binds to your red cells (its bond is more strong than the bond to oxygen or carbon dioxide and is irreversible) it renders that red cell useless and your oxygen carrying capacity is reduced until that cell is replaced. A red cell has a life expendancy of approximately 105 days so carbon monoxide poisoning can be an accumulated effect, so you may want to get checked by your doctor (he will order a test that will measure your carboxyhemoglobin). If you correct the carbon monoxide emmissions and are feeling okay, you should be okay though. I'm not a Doctor so don't take this as gospel but I think what I'm saying is pretty close to correct. (I'm a Medical Technologist and have worked in the a Hospital Laboratory for 30 years.)

He has not responded. I guess there might be an 05 abs for sale soon. Keep your ears peeled. I'll tell my friends. Oh, wait....they are all harley freaks. nevermind............christ.

Justrideit,

Get rid of that pos ventless heater, If the oxygen level fell THAT low the ods should have shut down the heater :eek: . Either that or you unit doesn't have one.

Regardless, ditch that thing an get a vented type, ya can't ride when yer :dead:

Where you at in Mi anyways?

:jester:

Well, it hasn't been that long since his last post. Give him some time. Maybe he's out riding. I'm sure there are some nice riding days this time of year even in Michigan.

You betcha Geezer, I rode to work today granted it was a little cool this am, 28 degrees when I left home, but by this afternoon the ride home was a balmy 38 :D

Though it may be awhile before I can remove my jacket liner you can bet so long as the roads are dry I'll be ridin' in everyday :agent:

:jester:

Never fear....Justrideit is here!!

My computer does'nt work so good so I don't check in that often. I have been in my garage many a time in the last 3 years with the heat on and have never gotten a headache or felt sick. Thanks for the concern guys. I will be more carefull.

A carbon monoxide senser for the garage is next on the shopping list.

HMMM, now where are those instructions that came with the ventless heater?