FJR1300 - Good choice for Alaska Trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appreciate all of the reponses and feed-back.

Planning to rent an FJR in the near future for an extended test ride (300+ miles).

Thanks again.

Steve

SoCal

Yeah, they're a little pricey, but I'd give that wing a good look and ride before you make a decision. Just did a little 1500 mile jaunt two up on the FJR last month with a stock seat. Every two hours the s.o. needed to get off and stretch (walk around). Just got a wing. I have to tell you that the weight of the thing just isn't an issue (I thought it would be. It's not). It is truly an engineering marvel for long distance, one or two up comfort and still a hell of a lot of fun in the twistys.

Only my two cents, but a custom seat will be a must for the FJR for such a trip. If it were me, I'd still give the wing a look for such an adventure.

How often do you do such a trip? Make it as fun and comfortable as possible. Let the wife sit back in comfort and snap a million cool pictures to cherish for years to come. Dealer networks for wings are excellent as well.

Again, omtc

Update -

Wife and I rented a new Goldwing last weekend and headed up the CA coast.

We put on 400 miles over the (hot) Labor Day weekend.

As expected the Goldwing was smooth, comfortable and powerful. As I'd been told, once undeway

the bike handles surprising well. That said, at parking lot speeds the thing is still a bit of a

beast. Didn't drop it, but I did have at least one low speed "moment".

I suppose with a wet weight of around 850-900 lbs that's to be expected. Highway

cruising is pretty effortless, and passsing is a breeze.

Only issue I had was some pain between the shoulder blades duirng extended highway cruising.

This was not a problem in the twisties or in town. Guessing that a back-rest might help.

Gas mileage wasn't bad at around 40 mpg (2 up with a lot of 75-80 mph cruising).

I'm sure a Goldwing would be fine for an AK trip, but I'm hoping to ride a couple more

bikes (incl an FJR) before making a decision.

Have a 2007 BMW R1200RT reserved for this weekend.

Wish us luck and thanks again for the feed-back.

Steve

SoCal

Update -

Wife and I rented a new Goldwing last weekend and headed up the CA coast.

We put on 400 miles over the (hot) Labor Day weekend.

As expected the Goldwing was smooth, comfortable and powerful. As I'd been told, once undeway

the bike handles surprising well. That said, at parking lot speeds the thing is still a bit of a

beast. Didn't drop it, but I did have at least one low speed "moment".

I suppose with a wet weight of around 850-900 lbs that's to be expected. Highway

cruising is pretty effortless, and passsing is a breeze.

Only issue I had was some pain between the shoulder blades duirng extended highway cruising.

This was not a problem in the twisties or in town. Guessing that a back-rest might help.

Gas mileage wasn't bad at around 40 mpg (2 up with a lot of 75-80 mph cruising).

I'm sure a Goldwing would be fine for an AK trip, but I'm hoping to ride a couple more

bikes (incl an FJR) before making a decision.

Have a 2007 BMW R1200RT reserved for this weekend.

Wish us luck and thanks again for the feed-back.

Steve

SoCal

Goldwing is the best 2 up/long distance/cargo capacity(luggage rack bag=extra saddlebag)/comfortable bike period.

I've had 2 1800 wings, 25,000 miles each and will likely add another in a couple years when wife/kids can ride with me.

That being said I've read/heard that alot of Alaska roads are rough and lend better to a dualsport (GS/Vstrom).

I've done multiday trips solo on my FJR and like it for that. My and I are both spoiled by the wing for 2 up travel so I'm biased.

I've test ridden RT's and like them, they are more upright comfortable than the FJR and more fun in the twisties than the wing but also more $$ than both. I can't seem to like the boxer engine though. It always feels like its broken to me. Inline 4's and the wings 6 are sooooo smoooooth and lots of power/pull/torque.

A late model wing can be had with low miles (2000-20,000) with lots of farkles for $12,000-$16,000 and that buys alot of bike. When I got rid of both my wings with 25000 miles on them they still rode like new and neither required more than oil changes (spark plugs I think at 20k, valves at 30k).

There are alot of roads I don't ride i.e. flatter/straighter hwy/interstate on the FJR because the more aggressive ergos are better suited to backroads. I live in north GA and would like to ride out to the Outerbanks, NC. I know the FJR can do it but it would be much better/comfortable on a wing so I'll likely stick to mtn riding on the FJR. Riding interstate on the wing is acutally enjoyable. Smooth quiet airflow, cruise control, great ergos. Add the Utopia adjustable backrest to your seat and its iron butt after iron butt.

Damn! I want my wing back.

For great prices/info on wings check: www.gl1800riders.com classified. Also www.cycletrader.com

I really do like dualsports though and a fellow wing friend/rider I know just added a GSA for solo riding. He's also spoiled by the wing and said he wouldn't travel long on the GSA.

I'd love to have a GS and ride up through Canada into Alaska and do lots of dualsport type travel. Maybe someday.

Steve

Steve,

You might also want to consider flying up to Anchorage and renting a bike up there. There are a lot of threads discussing AK trips on the advrider.com web site and some discussion of rentals too (e.g. BMW/VStrom rentals. That would be a tempting way for me to go if/when I do AK.

Greetings,

Beginning to plan a CA to AK trip in the summer of 2008.

The FJR1300 is on my short list (incl BMW R1200RT and Goldwing) of potential bikes for the trip.

GL 1800 Goldwings are heavy and relatively expensive.

BMWs are just plain expensive.

The FJR seems like a great long distance bike (especially for the money).

Shaft drive, hard luggage, power windshield, plenty of power, etc.

This may not be the most objective place to ask, but is an FJR a good choice for a 2-up trip

of this length (8-10K miles).

The bike fits me well (I'm 5' 11") and I'm guessing that power should not be an issue even with a

passenger and gear.

I have two main concerns.

Concern #1 is luggage capacity for two for a 5-6 week trip.

The side cases don't appear to hold an awful lot, and I'm concerned that even with a top box there

may not be adequate storage space.

Concern #2 is long distance passenger comfort.

If anyone has traveled extensively with a passenger and could provide some input I'd be grateful.

[/color

Hello Steve,

I've never been to AK so I can't speak on the FJR's suitability. However, adventure bikes are popular for making that trip solo!

As for a 5-6 week 2-up trip on an FJR, I have two recommendations. A Russel seat and extra storage from helen2wheels.com.

My wife and I will make a Fall run from New Orleans to WV to VA Blue Ridge Parkway and back for 10 days. Not 5-6 weeks but the stuff sacks from helen2wheels will double my side case capacity. I mount them on top of my side cases to keep weight as low as possible. With trunk, cases, stuff sacks and 2-up your pushing this application especially if road conditions are questionable. But if I had the time, I would do it!!!

Good Luck,

Roadhound

Update #2 - We rented a 2007 BMW R1200RT this past weekend and put on about 350 miles.

Very interesting experience.

I can see why people buy them.

Fit me like a glove (I'm 5'11") and was very comfortable overall.

Not so much for my SO.

She didn't like the pitched forward pillion seat. Took a bit of getting used to.

A new seat might fix that issue.

The handling of the bike was excellent. Suspension has a high quality feel. Comfortable yet controlled.

Parking lot maneauvering with 2-up was not a problem.

Very nicely balanced and controllable.

The engine is the most unique aspect of the bike. Reminds me of a highly developed and refined......tractor motor.

Great torque, but not terribly smooth particularly when accelerating. That said, when cruising at highway speeds

in 6th gear it does smooth out nicely.

The price is a stickng point though. A used R1200RT will likely cost more than a brand new 2007 FJR (let alone a nice

low mileage used FJR).

Next bike on my list to ride is the FJR.

Hope to accomplish that goal by the end of Sept.

Thanks to all.

Steve

SoCal

Hope you enjoy the FJR test ride it is a heck of a bike

The seat which used to really bug my butt seems to be alot better now

I have just under 10,000 km on mine

I find a folded up bath towwel has made all the differance

My wife and I may make a ride down to the US and get some custom seats for our bikes next summer

Looking at the web site here looks like they have made some nice mods to the throttle and ECU for the 08 bike

You may want to take one of them for a rip next spring if you can just to compare

May be worth the extra dollar or 2

Later

I did an Alaska trip this summer (June 15 departure) and will be going back in 08. I decided to rent a 1200 GS instead of taking my FJR. We went up the Cassier Hwy which I strongly recommend you take. BMW was the right choice because of the road conditions, rain and some off Hwy excursions. With that being said though, my riding partner rode a Harley Ultra and this was his third trip to AK. He did have to be very cautious in some situations though and I breeezed through on the BMW. If you are taking the Alaska Hwy, it is just a slab so FJR would do fine. The other consideration is what your tupperware is going to look like which is one reason I decided to rent. We were on a lot of gravel and was getting pummeled if we followed a car or truck. I figured I would need a new paint job on the FJR after so I rented for about the same cost. The BMW was pretty new and it was the third trip it had gone to AK. Body/paint and windshield were worn. I posted picture link in ride reports. It is just titled Alaska. You should look at the pics. It gives a good representation of what to expect. Also we left June 15 which was probably 2-3 weeks to early in the year. We rode for 1500 miles every day in the rain (bring a full rain suit). When we were riding I would think it could not get any worse and you would go around a bend, up a hill and it got worse. Then 10 minutes later and it is beautiful. With little or no traffic on some roads we never stopped for the rain. This is part of the experience, just slow down. We are planning the AK trip in 08 and we have decided to leave from Fairbanks, again renting (even my HD partner) , and go to the North Slope. This is a whole different level of riding. Extra tires, gas parts and pieces. BC, Yukon and Alaska is something few people do. For a biker I think this is the ultimate experience. The beauty, wilderness and wild life has to be seen in person to really appreciate the country. Being on a bike vs in a car is the way to go.

I didn't see where you stated how many miles a day you were planning {prolly missed it}. I can tell you this, my wife is all done by the time we reach 400-500miles in a day. Plus, a passenger will limit cargo carrying a good bit {we don't camp when riding two up because there isn't room for the tent and bags} and add to the cargo that needs to be carried. One up, I wouldn't hesitate at all, go for it. Two-up is gonna be rough though.

One day, I'll make it up there.

Steve,

I love my FJR and have done some very long trips on it. However, the one condition I don't like to ride through long stretches on is rough pavement. The FJR stock suspension just doesn't like really crappy pavement for miles at a time. I'd give the R1200GS serious consideration if I was you.

I read your comments on the R1200RT motor with some amusement since I had the same impression initially. Here's an old quote describing the way to embrace the boxer motor (though speaking of the older airheads specifically, it applies to the modern boxers just as well):

From https://www.motorcycle.co.uk (bolding is mine)

Many years ago, I and a friend rode 100 miles to a party on an R80. Next morning, I was a little, erm, how shall we say, hungover. Asked my friend to drive us home. He had never ridden a Boxer before, but he could see I was in no fit state... Stopped after 20 miles, and he begged me to take over. I couldn't. Stopped after 50 miles, and I asked if he was OK. He looked thoughtful, said nothing, and carried on driving. We got home, and the next week, he had bought one. As far as I know, he still has it.

That is how people get into Boxers. You will not like your first impressions. It will seem rough; ugly; agricultural. The way it rolls to the right as you blip the throttle will be unsettling. The way the starter clunks into engagement. The slow, heavy gearbox. The ponderous handling. But bear with it. After a couple of days, you will begin to get used to its ways. After a couple of weeks, you will be looking at it with respect every time you get off. After a couple of thousand miles, you will wonder why anyone would want to own any other bike.

A good Boxer will be smooth and positive in feel, it will seem 'well-oiled' and 'fluid' to ride. It will be comfortable all day at speed on the Autobahn. It will have an air of solid dependability. It will take you round the world if you ask it. ...It just takes a little while for these qualities to show themselves to you.

I found this to be very true.

I just did that run last month, only me, no passenger. If you plan on camping two up forget the FJR. The wings have kick ass trailers, some open up into a camper. I have to tell you Canada and Alaska have a bear problem this year. They are everywhere. Everyone tells me to just yell and they will leave. Thats hard when you can't get a sound to come out except the noises in your pants,(sorry I'm afraid of bears).Anyway, every motel, good campsite has laundry machines bring a little detergent. If you like to run faster the FJR is the machine. You will find many sections of countyside flat and boring, this is when you will love the FJR because you turn the music up and blast thru the sections, My radar never went off once I got 100 miles into Canada.The FJR is also great in the mountains. Someone posted about new seat or sheepskin a must. Also he mentioned Alaska Leather remember them, they will sell you a seat, but more important they will help you with any problem. They will also stock your tires for you. Three Yamaha, BMW, Suz. Honda,ect shops in Archorage and she was the only one with a tire. Forget the the daul sport and off road, that is a seperate trip. A tip about bumps in the road, look for a single small tire skid mark in the middle of your lane. I beleive that was a trailer boucing from the up coming bump. If you see doulbe skid marks going straight that was a truck that saw the bump coming. Look for litter red flags or poles on side of road they mark the bump. This will cover 99.9 % of all bumps. If you do come down Rt.3 from Fairbanks towards Denali you will slow down for a posted sign of a bad dip. It will give you a laugh if you notice a radiator on the side of the road from biker who did pay attention to the sign, not so funny for him. Best of luck, you will love the trip.

My wife and I did the trip. However, we did the Cassiar, which is a dirt road from the Steward/Hyder area to Watsons Lake just inland from the coast. If you get it on a good day, it is fantastic. Hit is on a bad day....and you will have a bad day (not really as we road it both ways - one good the other during rain). It is only a little over 100 miles of dirt (which can seem like a million miles if it is in bad shape). They do grade it often and when graded, you can shoot up it a 50 to 60 mph...nice and smooth.

Two reasons to go that way. One, visiting Steward, BC and Hyder, Alaska is fun, espeically if the salmon are running (bear watching is great!) And the scenery and food are great. Two, the road allows you to see some very beautiful country and lots of animals.

One hint: Do NOT stay anywhere on the dirt part. We booked a motel about half way up and my dog wouldn't have stayed there. We told them we had a friend go down in Watsons Lake and we had to go to the hospital. They let us out of the contract. Whew!

Do not fail to see Skagway. Really neat old town and a good ride over the mountain.

By the way, I was on a Honda ST1100 and my wife was on a Honda PC (the PC handled the mud better...or maybe she is just a better rider!) The mud, was on the ALCAN not on the Cassier.

Enjoy

Still attempting to arrange an FJR test ride.

There's a place in central CA where you can rent a 2007 model, but it's down for

repairs right now. Apparently, it was dropped while stationary and needs some new

bodywork pieces (which are on back-order).

In answer to Judds question, at this point I'm not sure how many miles we'll be riding per day.

I suspect it's going to vary quite a bit. We're going with another couple who are quite experienced

travelers on their Goldwing. I don't expect that we'll be pushing ourselves terribly hard.

We're hoping to really enjoy the trip so we'll not schedule back-to-back-to-back long days.

Don't plan to do any camping.

Also expect to stick to paved roads as much as possible.

Thanks again for all the feed-back.

Steve

SoCal

There's a place in central CA where you can rent a 2007 model, but it's down for

repairs right now. Apparently, it was dropped while stationary and needs some new

In answer to Judds question, at this point I'm not sure how many miles we'll be riding per day.

I suspect it's going to vary quite a bit. We're going with another couple who are quite experienced

travelers on their Goldwing. I don't expect that we'll be pushing ourselves terribly hard.

We're hoping to really enjoy the trip so we'll not schedule back-to-back-to-back long days.

Steve

SoCal

If you decide to get the FJR you want to make sure that you are getting one without the surging issue. I had a 07 for about 3 months and couldn't stand it i could not ride up any decent elevation without it surging.

Steve

SoCal

Just to let you know about the ALCAN (the "paved" highway to Alaska). It has some very bad "heave" issues and they are constantly repairing it. In British Columbia and the Yukon the repairs may be an 8 mile stretch, of which at least half of that is some form of dirt...sometimes a lot of muck. It is not uncommom to find stretches of muck that is several inches deep. So, although the road is a good one in most areas, be prepared, during the summer months, to experience some SERIOUS repair area.

What is scary is when you ask a KLR rider how the road is up ahead and he replies "FUN!".

I travel up from Florida in 1993 on my old K100RT to AK. I believe it was the 50th annie and was suppose to be completely paved that year!!!!! Wrong!!!!! There was miles and miles of road construction that we had to drive through. Alot of in and out of gravel. We did a side trip down to Skagway and that was all gravel. Poor weather on the way up with temps around 50 and lots of rain. Wonderful while there and coming back. Great trip. Had to repaint the BMW when I got back!!!!! Want to do it again next summer.