FJR1300 vs ST1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry 07 FJR1300AE

Reaction score
I have an FJR and a buddy has an ST. His will pack the front tire like a champ. Not the FJR. Havent had a chance to line them up. I know someone knows this. Which bike is faster???

What kind of course...if it's twisty..the better rider.

If it's a dragstrip...the better rider able to launch the bike.

Same rider racing the clock on both bikes...the FJR.

So the real question is...who sucks worse? You or your buddy?

I'm not up on my "hotrod" lingo....WTF does "pack the front tire like a champ" mean?
since LIFTING the front wheel UNLOADS (and extends) the front forks and tire, then "packing" it must mean doing a stoppie. Best of luck with either of those. Kinda like a VW bug: It'll definitely float but won't float indefinitely. I suspect one or the other (or both) of them might get away with it a few times but all that weight on the forks, seals, etc. can't be good for making those parts hold up for long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe since we're talking ST:

belly-fat1.jpg

It's like a "spare tire" ???

I had both, and the ST has less horsepower and weighs 90 lbs. more (wet). ST for smooth long distance riding. FJR will carve canyons better...... and I think either refitted with aftermarket suspensions will do better. FJR lighter and more flickable.... I won't easily be pried off it and sent back to an ST. Now gimme a Russell seat and new suspension, and you'll never get me off it.

I picked up a Hayabusa for my brother-in-law that he bought on ebay one time. It had tie down straps on the forks. The guy said strapping it helped keep the front end down.....

Is that packing?

:dntknw:

Per Sport Rider Magazine:

Motorcycle -- issue -- quarter mile   --  60-80mph

(sec. @ mph)  --  time (sec.)

---------------------------------------------------------

ST1300 ('05) 6/05   -- 11.33 @ 118.7 -- 4.47

FJR1300 ('05) 6/05  -- 10.78 @ 127.7 -- 3.75

Same day, same track, same staff so there should be some relevance to these numbers. I don't disagree with the quarter mile time difference between the two; I do have some question about the absolute times. I don't know how or what they did to a stock Gen I '05 to get a time that quick. Real world expect a stock Gen I FJR to run 11.0 to 11.2 seconds and the ST to run 0.4 to 0.5 seconds slower than the FJR.

A bad rider can make a very quick bike slow. A good rider can't make a slow bike much quicker. At New England Dragway I often run quicker than many bikes capable of smoking the FJR. Bad reaction times, bad shifting, failure to tuck-in down track, poor off-the-line clutch/gas control all play a role in ET and MPH.

By the numbers - power to weight ratio, final drive ratios and red lines - all indicate that the FJR is both quicker and faster. It is up to the skill (and size) of the rider to fulfill this potential.

The real question is more likely to be if you have better track skills than your buddy. On public streets, at less than red-line runs the performance difference between the FJR and the ST1300 are negligible.

Per Sport Rider Magazine:
Motorcycle -- issue -- quarter mile   --  60-80mph

(sec. @ mph)  --  time (sec.)

---------------------------------------------------------

ST1300 ('05) 6/05   -- 11.33 @ 118.7 -- 4.47

FJR1300 ('05) 6/05  -- 10.78 @ 127.7 -- 3.75

Same day, same track, same staff so there should be some relevance to these numbers. I don't disagree with the quarter mile time difference between the two; I do have some question about the absolute times. I don't know how or what they did to a stock Gen I '05 to get a time that quick. Real world expect a stock Gen I FJR to run 11.0 to 11.2 seconds and the ST to run 0.4 to 0.5 seconds slower than the FJR.

A bad rider can make a very quick bike slow. A good rider can't make a slow bike much quicker. At New England Dragway I often run quicker than many bikes capable of smoking the FJR. Bad reaction times, bad shifting, failure to tuck-in down track, poor off-the-line clutch/gas control all play a role in ET and MPH.

By the numbers - power to weight ratio, final drive ratios and red lines - all indicate that the FJR is both quicker and faster. It is up to the skill (and size) of the rider to fulfill this potential.

The real question is more likely to be if you have better track skills than your buddy. On public streets, at less than red-line runs the performance difference between the FJR and the ST1300 are negligible.
OK, but are ya packin?

:)