Fjr1300 Wins The Utah 1088!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Everyone say "congrats" to my LD student, George Zelenz, who CRUSHED the opposition with a staggering 52,000+ points to take FIRST PLACE in the Utah 1088!!!

I went after the High Mileage Award (my LASIKed-up eyes won't allow me to compete at night nowadays, so I didn't bother with bonus hunting; I just rode my ass off, did about 1780 *uncorrected* miles, thought my Sigma said it was closer to 1732. I don't think I did much better than 3rd or 4th Place in the High Mileage category (corrected mileage hasn't been published yet).

George Zelenz probably got higher mileage, and Dick Peek (riding a Beemer) probably did more as well. We'll find out in the next day or two.

A big CONGRATS to George Zelenz, taking his 2005 FJR to the top of the podium!
thumb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to you hard core guys!! I'd like to a SS1000 or BB1500 sometime in the near future, and to see you guys doing crazy stuff like this just adds fuel to the fire!

Mike

Outstanding! Congrats and WAY TO GO GEORGE!!!!! !

And here I thought he was just full of sh** most of the time. :p

Seriously, good on ya George! Quite an accomplishment, for you personally, and the FJR community.

And I only have one last thing to say - It's a damn good thing I was unable to play at the Utah1088, or things might have been a bit different! ;)

Well done! Bravo Zulu!

Greg

Way to go George Z ! that's the way to make a statement about the FJR capabilities! ( course the rider had a little to do with it too huh? ) :D

I don't grok this IB stuff at all, but my hat is off to George and WC - you guys do some incredible distances under difficult conditions.

- Mark

Nice jobs guys.

Who needs magazine reports to tell us who the smartest riders are, and what the best bike is!

A tip of the Fez to George, who also won last month's Twist N Shout rally, which apparently was just a warmup. Winning the 1088 is big time, for reals.

NOW what's he gonna do for an encore?

Congratulations to George, winning this type of event takes some serious focus and determination. ;)

did about 1780 *uncorrected* miles
How did the rear tire hold up? :eek:

Where is the best place to find ride reports from the Utah 1088?

I don't know about the tire, but his windshield, brace, and radiator held up quite nicely to the two seperate bird strikes. Here's the picture of the radiator one.

utah1088birdzelenza.jpg

George said he hit it and then the smell of burnt bird was overwhelming. Looking at the remains I'm convinced it sort of oozed through the radiator and then probably on the exhaust pipes.

George is a monster with the miles and perservernace. His story of scoring a lotto ticket in Arizona shows there is a fine line between a DNF and 1st place this year.

Maybe not the most flattering picture, but he looks pretty good considering the miles and crud he's seen. I think if you bang the bike really hard a layer will pop off.

utah1088zelenzfjr.jpg

About 50 of the 75 finished the event.....so veterans were saying it was a bit tougher than years past.

I'm ecstatic I finished myself!

It's not piddly Groo. It's the first step towards enlightened LD riding.

My first SS was September last year, Bun Burner Gold last month, and Utah 1088 finisher this month.

George may be relatively new too. He scored 19th in his newbie year at the 2004 Utah 1088 and followed up a year later by winning. Bold move!

You too could be a future hard core nut bag too.....

It's not piddly Groo.  It's the first step towards enlightened LD riding.
My first SS was September last year, Bun Burner Gold last month, and Utah 1088 finisher this month. 

George may be relatively new too.  He scored 19th in his newbie year at the 2004 Utah 1088 and followed up a year later by winning.  Bold move!

You too could be a future hard core nut bag too.....
Talk about hard core nut bags..... let's talk about Ignacio for a second!

Ignacio is being a little shy with his reporting here: in his very FIRST organized Endurance Rally, Ignacio took 12th Place! This is no small feat, particularly for the Utah 1088, which is widely recognized as the crown jewels in Endurance Riding, and attracts some of the very best talent in the country.

So not only hats off to George for winning, but for Ignacio who took 12th Place while getting his Endurance Rally cherry broken! :D

Congratulations George!!!, way to go...

what was your average mph????? I'm glad i bought a radiator guard from CBXJJohn... That could prevent walking a long ways if some wild woodpecker wants to pick a fight with the front of one of our FJR's...

ZZZZZ

I'll add to the list of congrats. Way to go, George. Pretty cool that someone I met at WFO-3 won the thing.

I'm gonna have to think about a rad guard for sure. I'm surprised I haven't received any major dings to the rad in my 60,000+ miles on the '03. :blink: