FJR1300ABS vs 1998 BMW R1200C

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garylspolar

Reaction score
I've sold the FJR, and here is it's replacement. I'm going to slow down and enjoy the scenery a bit. I'll most likely stay with BMW over the years, as well. I find them to be extremely reliable, they last forever, and they're a great deal once they reach 4 to 5 years of age. Nothing wrong with the FJR, just time for a change, and I put a bit of money in my pocket as well. Got a baby on the way, won't be as much time for long rides. HEre's some pics:

3771592-md.jpg

4058644-md.jpg

4058668-md.jpg

That's the Montock[sic.?]? I rode the CLC and really liked it and gave it some very serious consideration. The single motovating factor for why I decided against it was the fact that there are no BMW dealerships in our state. The closest one is about 200 miles away. Nice ride!! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years and years!

Well alrighty then....I too am picking up a R1200C, (99' loaded) and share your enthusiasim--probably the coolest looking cruiser to ever cross the pond and with respectable torque to boot. I have a souped up Harley and like you, see this Beemer as a way to possibly live longer and maybe see a little more countryside not to mention the speeding tickets, insurance hassles, etc. Any man can rationalize a bike purchase of any brand it's true but keep us posted as I would especially like to here your impressions. I had asked fellow forum members back in Jan. about my interest in the R1200C but received little feedback. Good luck! B)

That is a Guzzi LeMans in the back ground, isn't it? I have a riding buddy who has one and its a sweet ride. Actual adjustable rocker arms to adjust valve lash. Not a brute in the horsepower field, but more than adequate and handles quite well.

Does this mean your on the list to possibly be the next James Bond :blink: :blink: ...COOOLLL B)

These are pics from the previous owner. The Guzzi is not mine, and I would probably avoid the brand, even though I find their motorcycles very interesting. Hard to find a dealership, and the brand keeps "almost" disappearing. Otherwise, I would love to have an Aprillia -Piaggio-Moto-Guzzi... Who owns them now?

I get my R1200C back tomorrow, was in for the 36,000 mile service. It needed tires, I got additional lighting, GPS and Radar wiring installed. Alternator belt, yadda yadda.... Only $1,500! Whew, what a deal! Actually, I had quite a bit done, and I got the motorcycle for $5,250, so I'm fine with it. The first two rides were on those old tires, which were bias ply and shouldn't even have been on this bike. Even so, it handled amazingly well "for a cruiser". ;) It has more low end torque than the R1150R that I owned several years ago, but not quite the top end. I'm keeping the windshield off, I'm really enjoying being out in the wind again. If it rains, I'll wear my rain suit, and I've got a 700 watt alternator that doesn't care if I plug 5 heated vests into it.

98's had issues with the chrome, so I've heard. The chrome wheels look great, maybe I got lucky, maybe they're wheels that were replaced under warranty. I rode the FJR to the new owners home on Monday. I know the FJR is an amazing motorcycle on paper, and on the road... but it just didn't do it for me. My skill level is nowhere near what the FJR is capable of, but more importantly I'm just having a lot more fun on the Beemer. I really love the feel of the boxer twin, and I'm glad to be back.

And, THANK YOU ALL! I learned so much from everybody here, and was able to make my FJR a better and well maintained machine because of your shared knowledge. I'm not leaving entirely from this site, I'll still pop in now and then, and I promise not to hack your site anymore. :haha: (just kiddin'. my computer skills are only slightly better than my riding skills)

The R1200C just needs to be set to medium and your toast will be nice and brown every time. Newer models have a bagel setting.