FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As most of you already know of the Safety recall on the Ignition switch, but what about the dam key?
I made an appointment to have it done, but they WILL not re-key it, (BASTARDS! :angry: ), but did offer to have me re-key it so they could install it. So if i end up having to re-key this bitch, is that hard to do on my own or should i have an "professional" lock-smith do it?
The recall switch comes with new keys and switch assembly. The dealer is supposed to toss the new keys and tumbler and re-install yours so you have the same key for ignition and bags. If they don't, call Yama Cust service, and they will see that it gets done.

Or you can take it to any other dealer who can read.

Just paid the dealer a visit and he indicated that the bike would be ready by the end of the day. :clapping:

I saw the replacement parts and made a comment like "Oh, I was wondering how that part copnnected to the bottom... that isn't hard to swap." :unsure:

He said "Oh, no, you get the whole thing, you'll have a new key." :rolleyes:

I promptly advised him to go read the entire recall instructions and I expected to continue to have ONLY one key when I picked up the bike. He understood I was serious and that he had spoken too quickly. :unsure:

He back-peddled and said "Really, I didn't realize that, I haven't read the entire thing all the way through yet. I was going to do that before I swapped them." :dribble:

Sure he was... but he will now! :angry:

...and people wonder why I make it a habbit to be familiar with THEIR job too! <_<

By the way, is there any way to make this thread pop-up when you first visit the forum, force you to at least scroll through the entire thing and have a minimum wait time before you can click the "I have read this thread" button so that people will actually read it. Maybe that will stop the ump-teen new threads from folks getting their recall notices in the mail and starting new threads on the topic! :dribble:

Oh yeah... I got this letter in the mail today too. Somethin' to do with my Iggy-switch. You all here about this? I guess I'm not suppossed to ride him any more until it's fixed? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
He said "Oh, no, you get the whole thing, you'll have a new key." :rolleyes:
I promptly advised him to go read the entire recall instructions and I expected to continue to have ONLY one key when I picked up the bike. He understood I was serious and that he had spoken too quickly. :unsure:

He back-peddled and said "Really, I didn't realize that, I haven't read the entire thing all the way through yet. I was going to do that before I swapped them." :dribble:
Bwah-ha-ha. FJRForum.com has mad power and we must use it for good and not eeeeevil! ;)

By the way, is there any way to make this thread pop-up when you first visit the forum, force you to at least scroll through the entire thing and have a minimum wait time before you can click the "I have read this thread" button so that people will actually read it. Maybe that will stop the ump-teen new threads from folks getting their recall notices in the mail and starting new threads on the topic! :dribble:
Sorry, not a practical forum way.

Meanwhile, I'm compromising and merging without mercy......with the exception of Canuckians that seem to have slightly different rules than Yankees. I note my doctor advised against it when he took my blood pressure. He suggested you fine regulars point and laugh at people who do this instead.

<SNIP>Meanwhile, I'm compromising and merging without mercy......with the exception of Canuckians that seem to have slightly different rules than Yankees. I note my doctor advised against it when he took my blood pressure. He suggested you fine regulars point and laugh at people who do this instead.
Touché! :rolleyes:

Ok folks, here it goes. Tell the service manager that all the TECH (if the really are) has to do is follow the instructions and drill out two little screws to get your OLD lock cylinder out. Pictures are in the Tech Bulletin if they look at it. Mine was done today in under 45 minutes by my favorite TECH in our backroom. All it cost me was letting him do a performance check which was a ride up the highway. It was 21 degrees out and he froze his ass off. :yahoo: I think his PMS is now frozen off also.

I have read this post........lol..

Got my notice today and just wanted to send kudos to the forum, you guys seemed to have made this happen. I have already gotten the parts for the relay mod I saw on this forum by Brodie (great stuff by BTW). I was staging to do that as well as take the switch apart.

Within days of reading the ignition issue my son's 97 Ninja 500 would not start (stuck at work). I went and got him and the bike home and I went straight for the ignition. Sure, enough, the same wire had de-soldered itself. Used silver solder on all contacts and the bike is fine again.

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

I'm still on the fence. No notice in the mail and no dealership anymore. I think I'll keep the older version of the switch with Brodie's Harness in place. I would like to have another on hand in case this fails but I doubt they'd give me a switch. Already ended up with one key (cut on one side for ignition and on the other for gas cap and side cases) but two different locks. Just not sure....
Well, here's the good thing. If you just hold off the recall will stay on the books. Then you can bring it in when it's convenient for you and they still have to do the job for free.
I'm leaning towards giving the scenario to the closest dealer to me and see if they'll just swap a new and improved switch for the old one on my workbench.... if not I'll probably do exactly as you suggest Fred. I just hate to worry when I'm in the middle of nowhere.... But I have copies of the thread on how to hotwire. I guess I'll bring that with me. And if it does fail I can have them swap the original tumbler onto the new switch and I'm good to go with one "true" key.

Any faulty logic there?

I am set-up for next week for the replacement. Dealer is well aware that the old tumbler will be installed in the new switch body so I don't have to explain all that to them. He has a brand new 07 AE model on the floor, and they went ahead and replaced the switch in that bike first to get their feet wet. I believe there are two other bikes in front of me, so the tech should be well trained by the time he gets to my job. My Brodie harness is scheduled to arrive Monday, so right after I get the bike home from the switch switch (Hmm), Brodie's harness is getting installed for ultimate insurance and peace of mind.

I'm still on the fence. No notice in the mail and no dealership anymore. I think I'll keep the older version of the switch with Brodie's Harness in place. I would like to have another on hand in case this fails but I doubt they'd give me a switch. Already ended up with one key (cut on one side for ignition and on the other for gas cap and side cases) but two different locks. Just not sure....
Well, here's the good thing. If you just hold off the recall will stay on the books. Then you can bring it in when it's convenient for you and they still have to do the job for free.
I'm leaning towards giving the scenario to the closest dealer to me and see if they'll just swap a new and improved switch for the old one on my workbench.... if not I'll probably do exactly as you suggest Fred. I just hate to worry when I'm in the middle of nowhere.... But I have copies of the thread on how to hotwire. I guess I'll bring that with me. And if it does fail I can have them swap the original tumbler onto the new switch and I'm good to go with one "true" key.

Any faulty logic there?

Nope. At least not that I can see. Anyone that has had a switch replaced previously, where they handed you new keys for the ignition got hosed by a dealer too lazy to swap the cylinders. The only reason you should have gotten a new key is if the tumbler part of the switch was the problem, ie something mechanical.

I think that anyone that has an original switch and "Brodie Bypass Relay" installed will likely never have another switch failure, at least not one due to overheating. No matter what they did to the switch to improve its contacts I would still think that a BBR (or some other means to get a good chunk of the current load off the switch) would be good insurance.

If you have swapped out your stock headlights for HIDs, (which are powered directly from the battery through their own relay), you may have already removed enough of the current from the switch (110Watts = ~8 amps) , but putting the BBR in eliminates all but a tiny trickle of current needed to operate the relay.

I'm still running on the toggle switch after having to slice the wires in MA during the fall. Has anyone had any problems with the dealer because the wires were cut? I'm waiting to bring it in for service until I can haul my ass over to RI and have it serviced by a real dealership....I just don't want any problems with the swap.

just spoke to my dealer. My VIN is in the range and they ordered a kit that should be there thursday so will try and get it fixed next weekend (barring bad weather of course, still winter here in jersey LOL)

Richi

I'm still running on the toggle switch after having to slice the wires in MA during the fall. Has anyone had any problems with the dealer because the wires were cut? I'm waiting to bring it in for service until I can haul my ass over to RI and have it serviced by a real dealership....I just don't want any problems with the swap.

Where did you cut the wires? Out near the switch, right? Since the new switch comes with new harness all the way to the two connectors, the part you cut should get replaced, so no problem.

I just received my safety recall letter. The Yamaha dealer that was 2 miles away just went out of business, so I need to contact one about 20 miles away. I would like to install it myself when I do the valve check??

I just received my safety recall letter. The Yamaha dealer that was 2 miles away just went out of business, so I need to contact one about 20 miles away. I would like to install it myself when I do the valve check??
Please let me know if you find a dealer that let's you do the install yourself, as this is what I want to do as well.

If they follow the bulletin (highlights linked in the first thread) I doubt most dealers are going to be eager to farm it out to people. They have some seemingly strict rules for documentation of this safety issue including holding onto the original parts and marking the frame.

They may do it, but they're probably exposing themselves to liability on what is now an admitted safety issue.

Got mine back today. As reported by others, everything works fine and I am using my original key.

Glad I had the chat with my Service Manager yesterday. :rolleyes:

I'll probably still go with a bypass harness at some point... never hurts to be safe.

Got mine today also.

Service manager says I need to "bring it in" before they'll order the part (the letter that is).

Funny thing is, the parts guy ordered (and has received) my PR2s. I did it over the phone and didn't leave a deposit but the SM won't order the switch without seeing the letter.

Maybe it's me but the world lately seems a little skewed.

Ain't life grand (and weird at the same time). :unsure:

they won't order it until they see the letter? give me a break! my dealer just asked for my VIN and said it fell within the range and ordered the kit soon after.

Rich

they won't order it until they see the letter? give me a break! my dealer just asked for my VIN and said it fell within the range and ordered the kit soon after.

Rich
Hey Rich,

I'm in NJ as well... just wondering which dealer wouldn't order you the switch prior to you presenting the letter. I just got my letter yesterday. I've added MC Cruise's electronic cruise control to the bike, as well as a Garmin Zumo550, both wired directly to the battery with built-in in-line fuses. I hope this won't raise any eyebrows at the dealership relative to the recall. I've been thinking about adding a Centech AP-1 or AP-2 to make for cleaner, safer electrical connections. Does anyone on here have any experience with Centechs on the FJR?

Thanks everyone!

- Mike