FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was concerend about not receiving a recall notice, but it arrived on Sat. I guess it took a little while to catch up with me since I'm the 3rd owner. I had already talked with my dealer and made arrangements to bring it in. No I just have to wait for some decent weather so I can get it there. :rolleyes:

THANKS TO THIS FORUM, I WAS ABLE TO CONVINCE MY YAMAHA SERVICE MANAGER TO CALL HIS REP ABOUT THE RECALL WHILE MY 06 WAS IN THE SHOP FOR THE ALTITUDE RECALL... I GOT A NEW SWITCH AND THEY MADE THE SWITCH WORK WITH MY STOCK KEY. WHEN I GOT THE BIKE HOME, THE RECALL FROM YAMY WAS IN THE MAIL . THANKS>>>>

DEALER WAS COYOTE MOTOR SPORTS IN DENVER,CO..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FYI, we get excited enough around here that we reserve the "YELLING" for when things really get interesting. :rolleyes:

Our ignition switches are different to yours.
Do the US models have immobilisers fitted?

If not then that may explain why the Aussie & Canadian are different, they do.
Aussie logic;

Why would the Aussie switch be different than the Canadian one?

Canadian bikes have the same immobiliser that Aussie bikes do. Canadian bikes have been recalled. You're saying that Aussie bikes have not been (and what of the rest of the world?) Maybe the Aussie government doesn't think you guys are worth saving.
Nothing to do with Aussie logic.

As I keep on saying, the Aussie bikes do have a different ignition switch according to Yamaha Australia and are not in the recall.

The UK bikes must be the same or similar to ours, they are not in the recall either.

And what makes you think that Canadian bikes have the same immobiliser that Aussie bikes do?

The ECU problems were also yours only, no effect on our bikes due to a different ECU.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those odd and kinda spooky things....I have not been visiting the forum recently , except for checks for IM's and a quick glance at recent threads.

So , I did not see this thread until today. (about an hour ago)

I read the recent posts and then wandered out to get the mail, thinking perhaps I too should be getting a letter about the issue... and lo and behold, there was the recall notice from Yamaha.

Odd how things happen like this sometimes.

KM

Our ignition switches are different to yours.
Do the US models have immobilisers fitted?

If not then that may explain why the Aussie & Canadian are different, they do.
Aussie logic;

Why would the Aussie switch be different than the Canadian one?

Canadian bikes have the same immobiliser that Aussie bikes do. Canadian bikes have been recalled. You're saying that Aussie bikes have not been (and what of the rest of the world?) Maybe the Aussie government doesn't think you guys are worth saving.
Nothing to do with Aussie logic.

As I keep on saying, the Aussie bikes do have a different ignition switch according to Yamaha Australia and are not in the recall.

The UK bikes must be the same or similar to ours, they are not in the recall either.

And what makes you think that Canadian bikes have the same immobiliser that Aussie bikes do?

The ECU problems were also yours only, no effect on our bikes due to a different ECU.
Actually, I had heard that UK bikes suffered the problem, but that there was no recall.

As to the immobiliser, why would ours be different? Do the Aussie bikes no use the red programming key? I know the Euro ones do.

Actually, I had heard that UK bikes suffered the problem, but that there was no recall.As to the immobiliser, why would ours be different? Do the Aussie bikes no use the red programming key? I know the Euro ones do.
If there was a problem with the UK bikes I am sure Yamaha would recall them, the last thing they would want is to be sued.

Why would your immobiliser be different, I have no idea that it is but some thing is certainly different to allow solder to reach melting point.

Actually, I had heard that UK bikes suffered the problem, but that there was no recall.As to the immobiliser, why would ours be different? Do the Aussie bikes no use the red programming key? I know the Euro ones do.
If there was a problem with the UK bikes I am sure Yamaha would recall them, the last thing they would want is to be sued.

Why would your immobiliser be different, I have no idea that it is but some thing is certainly different to allow solder to reach melting point.
Oh, I don't know.

Why would Yamaha be any different than Honda, who didn't recall the UK police ST1300s that led to the death of a couple of British motor officers and cost them their market for police bikes in Europe.

As to the problem with overheating - nothing leads me to believe that Yamaha puts significantly fewer amps through the ignition switch of one national version of the bike than another - they don't have a main relay in the circuit for the fuel pump, injectors or other non-delayed electical elements - a relay would have made sense, but they 'cheaped out.

I strongly suspect that every FJR of the Gen-II variant potentialy will exhibit the problem, but with something like 100 units sold in Australia each year there simply aren't likely enough of them to fail to cause the local Yamaha organisation to issue a recall - remember that Yamaha didn't do this voluntarily - the NHTSA rules in the US forced them to - and the rule in Canada obliges them to follow suit if the same design is effected here.

That NHTSA recall was initiated by members of this board - if you think you are immune, then great - if you'd prefer to be safe, you should contact Yamaha Australia (or if you are in Europe, your local Yamaha organisation) and ask them how the ignition switch design of your machine differs from that of the recalled US & Canadian ones and why yours hasn't been recalled if the design is similar (which I would wager that it is) - and get the answer in writing.

As to the ECU recall, I do remember that at least one board member had HIS ECU changed at Yamaha expense. Given the lack of product and the sparse nature of tall mountains in Australia (nothing like the Rockies there if memory serves) it just may be that the ECU issue doesn't manifest itself very often.

but with something like 100 units sold in Australia each year there simply aren't likely enough of them to fail to cause the local Yamaha organisation to issue a recall.That NHTSA recall was initiated by members of this board - if you think you are immune, then great - if you'd prefer to be safe, you should contact Yamaha Australia (or if you are in Europe, your local Yamaha organisation) and ask them how the ignition switch design of your machine differs from that of the recalled US & Canadian ones and why yours hasn't been recalled if the design is similar (which I would wager that it is) - and get the answer in writing.
Yes, 08 was a bad year for FJR sales Aust wide, only 230 sold.

I have contacted Yamaha Australia, several of my friends still work there, I used to work for a Yamaha dealer.

Knowing Yamaha if there was a remote chance of a problem they would recall the Aussie models.

We all know the same model for different countries differs greatly, for one thing we don't have to do to the trouble of doing the Barbarian mod, ours already works through the LCD.

We all know the same model for different countries differs greatly, for one thing we don't have to do to the trouble of doing the Barbarian mod, ours already works through the LCD.
My original text was meant to say 300 units/year (given population ratios) sorry about that . . . same number as Canada, I'd have expected.

As to the Barbarian mod - that's no more than a one pin change in the wiring harness dictated by the US EPA (again, with Canada following suit). US environmental laws require that the consumer be prevented from adjusting fuel mixes and such - the manufacturers used to cap the adjustment screws on carbeurators as well for the same reason.

About the only SIGNIFICANT differences would be the 'flash to pass' button on the left switchgear assembly, the design of the headlight reflector and the availability of various colours and stripes on painted bits, which is cosmetic.

So, I for one would be VERY interested to see the wiring diagram of the FJRs you get in Australia . . . That there has been no sign or mention of a recall implies that there will be no recall unless there's pressure. But you can find out by asking if there's a recall of unspecified nature being planned (not considered) - and THEN explaining why you are asking.

Like I said. I suspect the answer will take the form of 'doesn't apply here' and that the design is the same.

What did Yamaha change in the design? What's different about the new switch that will be installed in the recall? Is that information known yet?
Ron
I searched and didn't see this covered before, so here it goes...and BTW feel free to shoot the FNG if it was already covered....

I got my new switch yesterday and upon comparison of the old vs. new, the difference was quite obvious.

The white connector on the original switch had two wires leading to it - one brown and one red.

The new switch has a brown wire connected to one spade terminal and the other spade terminal has the red wire AND a white wire connected to it.

I did not remove the bottom of the switch to examine the contacts, but I am guessing that the white wire goes to a set of previously unused contacts in the ignition switch - see the 4th picture from the top in this thread https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=103354

Having the total load spread across two sets of contact would effectively halve the cuurent and resultant heat generated at each contact.

I am not absolutely sure that the white wire uses a second set of contacts, but it sure makes sense to me. If somebody wants to tear their new switch apart to find out have at it.

At least there is a physical difference in the new switch and not just another switch with "a better solder job".

Question for those in the know

Any reason they wouldn't let you have the lock cylinder and keys that come with the new switch after they swap in your original cylinder.

might come in handy down the road. for what I don't know just packrat mentality.

That there has been no sign or mention of a recall implies that there will be no recall unless there's pressure.
The whole point is how do us Aust owner/riders insist on a recall on the ignition switch that hasn't given us any issues.

We have our own FJR13 forum here and in reality if there was a problem we would know about it.

One of my friends is a technician at Yamaha Head Office and I speak to him on a regular basis.

He tells me a lot of things about a lot of models.

He has never had one report of an ignition switch problem, if he had he would tell me.

So if there are no failures where is the need for a recall?

Okay, so here's something I didn't know...

I received my "Safety Recall Notice" on Saturday and called Beaverton Honda/Yamaha today and spoke with Nate Kulland in the service department (a good egg, I might add). I asked Nate if I could simply bring in the upper fork clamp and ignition switch assembly or whether they needed the whole bike for the warranty work. He said they need the whole bike because once the warranty work has been done, "... we have to add a mark to the VIN on the frame." The reason, according to Nate, is that in the bulletin they received on this recall, they're instructed to add a mark or dimple by the VIN number to let other dealers know that this specific recall work has been done.

Good to know..!

Okay, so here's something I didn't know...
....they're instructed to add a mark or dimple by the VIN number to let other dealers know that this specific recall work has been done.

Good to know..!
And conveniently already included in the Bulletin Synopsis linked at the top of this thread and other spots recently. ;)

I received the recall letter last Friday and took the letter to my local shop today.

The service writer said you must have bought the bike from a different shop. I said "Wrong, I bought it from you so that I knew that these kinds of things would get taken care of." He explained & apologized "You bought the bike from us, we should have called you."

Then he looked at his records and realized that the shop had already replaced the assembly once. He apologized again and wanted me to bring the bike in Thursday morning and explained the bike would be done & ready to go on Friday.

I said "Back to me with one key, correct?" When I left they were calling Yamaha to figure out how to do that.

And so the saga continues.

Yamaha of Napa pleasantly and quickly replaced my ignition switch today. No questions, no problems, same key, looks great and gives that little additional peace of mind.

Just thought some would like to know the particulars.

Mark

Same here on my 07. Work done at Wade Powersports in St George UT. Mine was the first in last week so it took longer than expected. The fix is nice though and works well.

Yamaha of Napa pleasantly and quickly replaced my ignition switch today. No questions, no problems, same key, looks great and gives that little additional peace of mind.
Just thought some would like to know the particulars.

Mark
All done last weekend no problems!

Ride safe.

taff

I received the recall letter last Friday and took the letter to my local shop today...
...I said "Back to me with one key, correct?" When I left they were calling Yamaha to figure out how to do that.

Niehart

Check out what I said a few posts back... post#355

Any good mechanic should be able to mix and match tumblers back to your original key if the tumblers from both lock cylinders contain enough of the correct ones.

Brodie

I received the recall letter last Friday and took the letter to my local shop today.
The service writer said you must have bought the bike from a different shop. I said "Wrong, I bought it from you so that I knew that these kinds of things would get taken care of." He explained & apologized "You bought the bike from us, we should have called you."

Then he looked at his records and realized that the shop had already replaced the assembly once. He apologized again and wanted me to bring the bike in Thursday morning and explained the bike would be done & ready to go on Friday.

I said "Back to me with one key, correct?" When I left they were calling Yamaha to figure out how to do that.

Hi Niehart,

All the service manager has to do is go on the Yamaha Factory Website (funny how some have no idea of this place or where to find it) and download the Tech Bulletin for complete step by step instructions WITH pictures. One other thing you might want to ask, if you paid to have it fixed the first time, how do you get your money back for a factory recall problem. Just food for thought.