FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone thoroughly addressed the rekey issue? The only dealership in my area has basically told me to suck it up and deal with two keys. <snip>
Don

Did you get the recall work done by this dealer service department? How long ago was it? If it was within the last month or so they should still have the old switch. They should have swapped out the tumblers as per the recall instructions.

If its too long ago, you might contact other Yamaha dealers who have performed the ignition switch recall recently . Perhaps they still have an old unit laying about. If no go, perhaps a salvage yard could help you out. If they have an ignition switch without a key you may be able to get a deal on it.

It's an easy fix when you have the parts. I dissected my recall switch when it was recalled last february.

Click here to see my write up on it... The Recall Ignition Switch - What's new about it?

This shows the tumblers to the new switch... For those of you <snip> cursed with two sets of keys.

Good luck.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone thoroughly addressed the rekey issue? The only dealership in my area has basically told me to suck it up and deal with two keys. ....
Your dealer is not complying with Yamaha's instructions for this recall. Call Yamaha customer service!

The only dealership in my area has basically told me to suck it up and deal with two keys.
Reread the technical bulletin linked in the very first post of this thread. Read it, print, and take it down to your dealer and have them read it along with you....and watch their face as they get to the part about their obligation to key to the original.

A bit further for you, but there is an excellent dealer in Casa Grande.
USMC_CWO: Don, Skooty is right! Kendall is an excellent dealer in Casa Grande, after SkooterG introduced me to his shop, I only take my FJR to him for dealer needed repairs or services. Ignacio es verdad, they are required to rekey the FJR for you!!

The Cycle Center, 14660 West Jimmie Kerr Boulevard, Casa Grande, Arizona 85222 Phone: 520-836-8739 FAX: 520-836-8739.

I took everyone's information and returned to the dealership, ready for them to correct the problem, but they still refused. I then called Yamaha Customer Service who then contacted the dealership. Next thing I know I get a phone call from my dealership's service manager who just became the most cooperative person I've ever met. Within 1-day they rekeyed all of my other locks, minus the spare for the trunk. Yeah, these guys still suck!!! I think I'm going to Casa Grande from here on out. THANKS ALL!!!

Glad you got it sorted out in the end. Asshat dealer. Lots of them sure don't act like they want customers.

On the flip side, I can't recommend The Cycle Center in Casa Grande highly enough.

I took everyone's information and returned to the dealership, ready for them to correct the problem, but they still refused. I then called Yamaha Customer Service who then contacted the dealership. Next thing I know I get a phone call from my dealership's service manager who just became the most cooperative person I've ever met. Within 1-day they rekeyed all of my other locks, minus the spare for the trunk. Yeah, these guys still suck!!! I think I'm going to Casa Grande from here on out. THANKS ALL!!!
USMC CWO: Don, when you come to Casa Grande; give me a call ahead of time on my cell: 480-440-4666. I'll take you out to lunch at "Little Sombrero", favorite Mexican food restaurant of SkooterG and myself. https://www.urbanspoon.com/r/76/788263/rest...ero-Casa-Grande

Sorry if this is a dumb question or in the wrong place but I don't have time to read all the pages related to ignition switch failures.

How many of us have had failures of ignition switches that were replaced under the recall?

I have an 06 w/41,000 miles, never had a problem with the original switch but had the recall/new switch installed in March of 09 I believe?

A few weeks ago started having a electrical problem with the engine shutting off for just milliseconds but then would come right back to life. It never left me stranded, in fact never came to a stop. I started reading up on the ground spider issues but found no evidence of this being a problem on my bike but my only accessories are a satellite radio plugged into the glove box & gps direct to the battery.

My dealer then hooked me up with a pigtail cut off a replaced FJR switch so i ran it through a couple toggle switches to bypass my ignition switch & the problem is gone. My dealer ordered up the new switch & it should arrive this week & hopefully all will be right in the world again?

Tom

Or, you could well have been experiencing the beginnings of the S4 Spider failure. Your dealer messing with the wiring harness could well have 'cut through' the corrosion, buying you temporary relief from the problem.

Good luck.

Sorry if this is a dumb question or in the wrong place but I don't have time to read all the pages related to ignition switch failures.

How many of us have had failures of ignition switches that were replaced under the recall?

I have an 06 w/41,000 miles, never had a problem with the original switch but had the recall/new switch installed in March of 09 I believe?

A few weeks ago started having a electrical problem with the engine shutting off for just milliseconds but then would come right back to life. It never left me stranded, in fact never came to a stop. I started reading up on the ground spider issues but found no evidence of this being a problem on my bike but my only accessories are a satellite radio plugged into the glove box & gps direct to the battery.

My dealer then hooked me up with a pigtail cut off a replaced FJR switch so i ran it through a couple toggle switches to bypass my ignition switch & the problem is gone. My dealer ordered up the new switch & it should arrive this week & hopefully all will be right in the world again?

Tom
As bramfrank said it could be spider. When you lift the tank to install the new switch, take a look at the S4 spider. If you see any melting or discoloration, be ascared. :eek:

If it turns out to be a spider, then you should post up in one of the spider threads. just sayin.

Tom

I will have to agree with my 2 friends here, chances are good your bike is showing symptoms of the dreaded grounding system issue. AKA the spyder bites. Since you have the recall ignition switch installed, you should consider that issue put to bed. To my knowledge there are no reports of the recall ignition switch failing. Yamaha has made a cost effective, robust fix for that switch.

If you are handy with tools and are willing to dig a little, look under the fuel tank, under the heat shield at the small plastic half connector next to the frame in front of the coolant pipe. It is a small connector with 6 black wires entering from underneath. Remove the black plastic cap and have a good look at the metal shorting bar tying all 6 pins together. It should be clean, no corrosion, and no discoloration to the surrounding plastic. The underside of the black plastic cap should be smooth with no sign of melting.

IMG_2163.jpg

This picture is from a friend's bike taken a few weeks ago. A blue '06 model with 6k on the clock. The previous owner kept it as a garage queen for 4 years. My friend is fixing that by quickly putting on the mileage. This S4 spyder gave him a momentary stall with his 4 way flashers pulsating dimly for a few minutes. He limped the bike home and got ahold of me. A 40 mile trip to my garage, and that afternoon he had one of my Grounding harnesses in place. This issue is fixed on his bike.

Both my friend Art (roadrunner) and I have a plug & play solution for this problem. You need to do a little more research to figure out how you will go about fixing your bike.

Try these links...

Prototype Grounding Harness

Gen II ground spider discussion

Please check back with us and tell us what you found out.

smile.gif

Brodie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did read up on the grounding issue & did look closely at the spyder, in fact took it apart & found no corrosion or signs of the connector ever being hot.

Like I stated above I have bypassed my ignition switch & no longer have the problem.

So I think I maybe the first or one of the first to have a replacement switch fail?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did read up on the grounding issue & did look closely at the spyder, in fact took it apart & found no corrosion or signs of the connector ever being hot.

Like I stated above I have bypassed my ignition switch & no longer have the problem.

So I think I maybe the first or one of the first to have a replacement switch fail?
Perhaps,

But there is one other spyder that has a history of biting hard, the one behind the left turn signal.
Burnt.jpg

This ugly spyder (S6) bit our friend Don Carver last year. The plastic housing with the letter P on it is the back side of the lower fairing half. As you can see the heat from the pins traveled down the copper into the wire harness. Probably the only reason Don was able to ride it home was because the bare wires grounded against each other. Yamaha replaced the complete sub harness in and around the headlights because of this thermal runaway.

Check it out, it is relatively easy to get to it.

IMG_1746.jpg

While you are in there, it wouldn't be a bad idea to inject some dielectric grease into all the connectors to arrest the oxidation process.

Good luck.

smile.gif

Brodie

Thanks Brodie,

I will be sure to check S6 as well.

It has been a week of riding with the ignition switch bypassed & no sign of the problem.

My dealer has talked with Yamaha on the issue & they are replacing the switch again under warranty.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom

I've had two ignitions switches installed on my 07 FJR1300 since I heard of the recall and still stalling in the middle of riding. It did just that recently in the middle of nowhere in North GA and left me stranded for hours. I bought it brand new and has only 1200 miles on it. What else could it possibly be?

Start checking all the electrical connections. Start with the battery and the fuses in that area. The ECU is on the left side under the drivers seat. Make sure those connectors are tight as well. Something has to be just loose as heck to be causing that. I hope you have a competent dealer since they should be doing all this checking anyway. I hope everything works out for ya.

No indication of an issue with S6 spyder.

New ignition switch is installed & no sign of the problem.

My dealer was sending the bad switch back to Yamaha, kinda doubt that we will hear anything further from them on what the actual failure was.

No indication of an issue with S6 spyder.

New ignition switch is installed & no sign of the problem.

My dealer was sending the bad switch back to Yamaha, kinda doubt that we will hear anything further from them on what the actual failure was.
Was that switch that was just replaced definitely of the new design (ie with the extra wire and the yellow tape around the wire bundle)? Or did the dealership screw up last time and just install another old style switch?

It would not surprise me if the new switches were also prone to failure. All Yamaha did was to double the contact area.

Not an adequate solution, IMO. A Brodie relay would be far more effective in removing the root cause of the failures.