FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition he added ... It is recommended that you DON'T drive the bike until the switch is fixed.
It sounds like the lawyers got a CYA message into the recall..."We told you not to ride it, so if you get hurt by a failure after 1/28/09, it's your own damn fault."

I wonder if I can turn that statement around on them and force them to pick up the bike for free when it's time to go in for replacement?
You're making assumptions. Unless you've seen the actual technical bulletin you don't know if Yamaha has suggested the bike not be ridden or not. It could be the dealer adding his $0.02.

Let's try and stick to known facts here.

In addition he added ... It is recommended that you DON'T drive the bike until the switch is fixed.
It sounds like the lawyers got a CYA message into the recall..."We told you not to ride it, so if you get hurt by a failure after 1/28/09, it's your own damn fault."

I wonder if I can turn that statement around on them and force them to pick up the bike for free when it's time to go in for replacement?
What pisses me off the most is that the bike is to dangerous to ride but not dangerous enough to call/email/mail their customers to tell them. Peanut Butter get more attention in the media. :angry:

Does anyone know if Canadian models are attected?
I'm willing to bet that it takes a long time (if ever) before we in Canada get any recall.

My bike has had the problem since last June and Yamaha gave me quite a run around about it when I pressed them. They said I was on my own since I was out of warranty.

Of course they wouldn't acknowledge that there was a problem although by that point it was common knowledge on this forum.

I've been doing my own fix and it will be repaired with the "Brodie Harness" before the snow is gone.

I would porpose that anyone who has the affected bikes do the harness even if the recall is done. It's easy and relatively cheap insurance.

My dealer go the recall from Yamaha and called me this afternoon. Since I had 2 failures he thought that I may be interested. :rolleyes:

Tech Bulletin finally arrived at our dealership sometime in the early hours today before the sun came up. :dribble: Affected range according to the letter you will get is ALL 2006 through 2008 and certain 2009 FJR1300A and AE model motorcycles. In the letter it states replacing the main switch should take about 1 hour. (YEAH RIGHT) Your key tumbler will stay with your bike so those of you worried about the one key thing have nothing to worry about.

For those of you who had problems before and got yours replaced at YOUR cost, at our dealership the service manager has contacted Yamaha Customer Service many times and they have always come through for our customers. I know from personal experiance on my Roadstar, if ya have copies of all your paperwork it sure makes your case stronger getting your hard earned money back.

Based on the work outlined in the Yamaha Tech bulletin for the recall, I would imagine that you could get your dealer to install your Heli-Bar clamp as part of the recall fix for free... Just a thought.

Let's try and stick to known facts here.
Fact: The recommendation "You should not ride your motorcycle until this modification is performed" was in the Gen 1 TPS Safety recall.

Fact: The Ignition switch recall is also classified as a "Safety Recall".

I'll allow you all to reach your own conclusions.

Tech Bulletin finally arrived at our dealership sometime in the early hours today before the sun came up. :dribble: Affected range according to the letter you will get is ALL 2006 through 2008 and certain 2009 FJR1300A and AE model motorcycles. In the letter it states replacing the main switch should take about 1 hour. (YEAH RIGHT) Your key tumbler will stay with your bike so those of you worried about the one key thing have nothing to worry about.For those of you who had problems before and got yours replaced at YOUR cost, at our dealership the service manager has contacted Yamaha Customer Service many times and they have always come through for our customers. I know from personal experiance on my Roadstar, if ya have copies of all your paperwork it sure makes your case stronger getting your hard earned money back.
Brad,

Being that you work at a dealership, you may be one of the forums best chances at finding out what the difference is between the old and new switch components. If you get a chance to look at the two parts side by side and make some comparisons, and maybe even get some pictures, that would be most excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech Bulletin finally arrived at our dealership sometime in the early hours today before the sun came up. :dribble: Affected range according to the letter you will get is ALL 2006 through 2008 and certain 2009 FJR1300A and AE model motorcycles. In the letter it states replacing the main switch should take about 1 hour. (YEAH RIGHT) Your key tumbler will stay with your bike so those of you worried about the one key thing have nothing to worry about.For those of you who had problems before and got yours replaced at YOUR cost, at our dealership the service manager has contacted Yamaha Customer Service many times and they have always come through for our customers. I know from personal experiance on my Roadstar, if ya have copies of all your paperwork it sure makes your case stronger getting your hard earned money back.

Hello,

Im back after being away for couple years. Im looking to buy a new 09 in the next few weeks. I can hear the dealer now saying "oh, the 09's are not affected". Is there any way to know whether the new 09 Im looking at is subject to the recall or not? Thanks.

Hello,

Im back after being away for couple years. Im looking to buy a new 09 in the next few weeks. I can hear the dealer now saying "oh, the 09's are not affected". Is there any way to know whether the new 09 Im looking at is subject to the recall or not? Thanks.
Here's the text from the NHTSA recall page:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): YAMAHA / FJR1300 2006-2009

Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USAMfr's Report Date: JAN 06, 2009NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V002000 EA08025NHTSA Action Number: EA08025 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCHPotential Number of Units Affected: 9300Summary:

spacer.gif
YAMAHA IS RECALLING 9,300 MY 2006-2009 FJR1300 MOTORCYCLES. THE INTERNAL SWITCH WIRING COULD BECOME DISCONNECTED. IF THIS OCCURS ELECTRICAL CURRENT FLOW WILL BE STOPPED AND THE ENGINE COULD STALL.Consequence:

spacer.gif
IF THE ENGINE STALLS, THE OPERATOR MAY BE UNABLE TO START OR RESTART THE ENGINE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.Remedy:

spacer.gif
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 16, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926.Notes:

spacer.gif
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

----------------------------

Well, I called my local dealer, they were aware of the recall, he said there was 'kit' listed in the system, but it wasn't available from the distributor yet, he said he would expect that in a couple weeks they would be available, and to let them know a few days ahead of time if I intend to drop my bike off so that they can have the part waiting.

I can't wait to see what's in The Kit

Welcome back Highrailer, as with all Tech Bulletins I have seen from MammaYamma there are to be NO motorcycles sold (2009) and leaving the dealerships unless the required recall work has been done. Per the tech bulletin, look above the last digit in the vin number for a punch mark. If it has one the kit has been installed. If there is no punch mark that does not mean the bike isn't ready to go out for sale, it may not be in the effected range of serial numbers. Of the 2009 bikes made, only 342 A models, 31 AC models, 176 AE modles and 31 AEC models are effected.

On another note, there are only 4 parts to this kit, New Main Switch Assembly, Anti-theft Bolts, Zip ties and some rubber screw covers. The new harness also has a yellow band on the harness near the connectors for the wire harness.

Welcome back Highrailer, as with all Tech Bulletins I have seen from MammaYamma there are to be NO motorcycles sold (2009) and leaving the dealerships unless the required recall work has been done. Per the tech bulletin, look above the last digit in the vin number for a punch mark. If it has one the kit has been installed. If there is no punch mark that does not mean the bike isn't ready to go out for sale, it may not be in the effected range of serial numbers. Of the 2009 bikes made, only 342 A models, 31 AC models, 176 AE modles and 31 AEC models are effected. On another note, there are only 4 parts to this kit, New Main Switch Assembly, Anti-theft Bolts, Zip ties and some rubber screw covers. The new harness also has a yellow band on the harness near the connectors for the wire harness.

Good to know. Thanks

Tech Bulletin #M2009-002R issued 1/29/09-Factory Modification Campaign-Main Switch covers the switch replacement. Visited my Dealer today and they placed the parts on order. No indication on availability. The red and white connectors are disconnected near the t-bar and a new harness from the connector to the switch is replaced. The original lock cyclinder is used to retain the same key. Good time to add the Brodie relay as well.

Just thought I'd add a big Thank you to you all for this thread. I stop by my dealer on my way home last night and the service tech had the recall on his desk (great timing). He ordered the kit for me and said it would be in next Wednesday for installation. So the kits are available in SoCa. Thanks again to you all.

I called my local dealer in San Diego, North County Yamaha, and they said they just learned of the recall and would be happy order the parts. They also assured me that I would only have one key when it was done. They are going to call me when the parts come in.

Just checked with the local dealer here and they have the notice also, so....

When I receive my notice, I'll also get my PR2s installed.

Good luck to everyone involved and a big "Atta Boy" to the Forum. :clapping:

Does anyone know yet, if this recall will be something Yama will let people do themselves, and if most dealers don't like this does anyone know a Yama dealer that would?