FJRF009.3 "Spider failures other than S4" Research

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bramfrank,

If the 2011 has the bridging harness that Yamaha used for their recalls, it is quite possible for a spider to bite.

It doesn't address the S6 spider nor the possibility of a high resistance contact on one of those bridging pins on any spider.

Tell the gent to use conductive grease, dialectic grease can and most likely make a poor connector worse.

Looks like another member has joined the, so far exclusive, S7 spider bite club:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/160394-2012-electrical-woes/?p=1183449

This failure was on a 2012! Canadian FJR.
That would be me.

I have filed a Defect Report with Transport Canada and asked Yamaha Canada to repay the repair costs. Will see how it goes.

-Steve

as detailed elsewhere here....very easy to solder a wire to the top of the spider, enlarge the hole in the plastic cover, and run the wire to a convenient frame ground..Do #4 and #6.....not the spider for the ECU, forgot which one that is.

I believe I may be a victim of a spider bite. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161977-lost-the-headlights-this-morning-07-fjr/

My symptoms are very similar to what Harald described at the beginning of this thread. I had the fairing almost completely off to replace the headlight relay, so I know how to do that. My question is, do I absolutely need to remove it to get a good look at S7? I believe that may be the spider giving me trouble, although at this point it is just a guess.

Thanks, Leo

If I recall correctly and it's been a while, you *may* get a look at it if you remove the left front fairing and associated inner black plastic. It's not that far up the wiring harness from where the turn signal wire comes off the main part of the harness there.

To fix it though, yeah you're going to have to pull it of I think.

-=MD

Not much space in there to work on.

May also be the S6 connector or the wiring to it, the S8 & S7 are daisy chained into terminal 1 S6.

A good excuse to check / service them all, any other symptoms ?

Bajaleo,

I've replied in your headlight thread to try and keep this thread uncluttered with troubleshooting that may or may not be related to a non-S4 spider failure (the topic of this pinned thread).

I just had this issue pop up a couple of weeks ago. I initially thought it was the headlight relay (I could hear it buzzing) but after swapping for another one I knew I had to keep looking. I commute everyday during pre-dawn (completely dark) down a canyon that has no street lights. When the headlights go out there's not much to do but hope they come back on. Luckily they did within a few seconds but went out then back on . Pretty darn scary. I found the spider on the left side of the tank behind the compartment was burnt. I have an '06 with the recall completed. The bike has 92K miles on it.

rec_rider

If this is the spider under the glove box, that's the S6 spider that is the 2nd most common spider failure (after the recalled S4 spider). Thanks for reporting here. I also urge you to file a defect report at

Safercar.gov . Make sure to clearly state that the failed grounding connector is not the one being addressed by NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V-338.

How did you fix the spider? I had cut my failed spider off and soldered all the wires together back in 2009. All other spiders were inspected, cleaned and reassembled with dielectric grease. The bike was just over 2 years old with roughly 30,000 miles on it. I'm at 107,000 miles now on my 07 and no more problems despite seemingly constant riding in the rain here in Seattle.

... I also urge you to file a defect report at Safercar.gov . Make sure to clearly state that the failed grounding connector is not the one being addressed by NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V-338...
When you file a notice with the NHTSA (Safecar) be sure to say you had a headlight failure. The NHTSA triggers action when the ?issue? involves a safety situation. Headlights, brakes, ignition failure, loss of wheels, etc gets action.

Thanks for the info. I will file a report. Instances like this can be deadly. My saving grace was a car in front of that had bright tail lights.

To fix it I cut the connector apart where it was burnt, cleaned it, then put it back together. This was only temporary until I could 100% verify that it was the cause. Obviously, I know that it is so I'm going to cut off the connector and solder all of the wires together. I understand why they did it that way but it certainly isn't right.

I'm in the UK, 2010 fjr, had the S6 spider fail on me while in Ireland last week, symptoms were:-headlight dash light permanently on, all four indicators permanently on, no headlights, no screen motor. Fortunately it rains a lot in Ireland, because after riding for 5-10 minutes in the rain, everything came back. When I got home and started looking, found the S6 spider under glove box had been hot enough to melt the top of its plastic cover, removed the spider, cleaned everything up with contact cleaner and soldered a wire to the spider, refitted and connected the other end of the wire direct to the frame. Job's a good'un.