FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man! Apparently there's a lot of bandwidth getting consumed around here ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Eastern states are smaller -- or MUCH smaller -- than those in the west. Should be easy to boost the state total from Kingsport.

For example, using eddiememphis's data in post #759, there are over 40 bonus locations in VA, MD, and DC. Those three states together are smaller than New Mexico.

Currently Flood Warning at Denali NP

for giggles:

silly1.JPG

7,7k + miles if leg 3 .

Where the hell is #155 headed?

he is only one in CA.

Where ever he is headed gotta be mega points, I bet based on leg 1 where he took off and headed to KC gotta be Will Barkley.

Where the hell is #155 headed?he is only one in CA.

Where ever he is headed gotta be mega points, I bet based on leg 1 where he took off and headed to KC gotta be Will Barkley.
Yep, looks wacky.

Weston is at it again too. Not sure what that boy is thinking.

The points list and ensuing data analysis here would be fascinating. But like doing Christmas early or peeking at your birthday presents, just wouldn't be right.

That rider has been swimming upstream since this morning. There must be some mongo-sized bonus points for some of the Cali sites - I figured he'd come maybe to Mojave and/or Death Valley, but he seems committed to getting even further west. He could still be heading toward Yosemite, but could also be headed as far as the Golden Gate or even further north, based on the route he's on. He'll be something like 1500 miles or more west of the main pack by the end of the day - seems like an "all-in" kinda move.... If he turns north on 395 then its probably Yosemite, but my money is on further northwest.

Generically speaking.

CA'ish to Kingsport ..lets say 2,500miles

as i write this 48hours until penalty ...Hmmmmm

factor in mandatory rest bonuses fuel stops etc ..... Hmmmmm+

We also know a few riders are not on the everyone page ...could there be others in CA?

...Hmmmmmm++

Sam and Sydney Liles have had to withdraw as yet another BMW fails to make sufficient forward progress:
https://selil.com/archives/6288

Heartbreaking end for a very nice couple.
Wow, that breaks my heart. If I had known they were that hosed I would have just let them take my FJR. The stock seats would have tested their mettle. Haha...Seriously, it's sitting in the garage with a fresh oil change and new tires. It's gonna need the forks rebuilt soon, but it starts every time the magic button gets hit.

BMW should be ashamed of themselves.

Could someone give insight to the 4 riders heading SE from the bonus for BIBE ( take a photo of the Panther Jct Visitor Center)? I have no local knowledge, but that road dead ends at the Rio Grande from what I can see on the maps. And it appears the ferry that is there is just a row boat to take people across.

JEF

Never mind...the listing for RIGR is Alpine, TX (which is pretty far away from the park). If I would have been smart enough to plug in the coordinates I would have seen they were headed for the two photo bonus at the Rio Grande Overlook.

Looking more and more like the bay area. for this guy.

I think I can see a mega combo bonus with the Bay area Yellowstone and Rushmore

Could someone give insight to the 4 riders heading SE from the bonus for BIBE ( take a photo of the Panther Jct Visitor Center)?
Look at the Rally Book in more detail. There's more than one bonus on paved roads in Big Bend. See RIGR.

Could someone give insight to the 4 riders heading SE from the bonus for BIBE ( take a photo of the Panther Jct Visitor Center)? I have no local knowledge, but that road dead ends at the Rio Grande from what I can see on the maps. And it appears the ferry that is there is just a row boat to take people across.
JEF
They're going to get the photo of the tunnel on that road that leads to the Rio Grande Village within the park. the bonus code is RIGR. Even though that bonus says "Alpine" the coordinates are actually on that road, halfway between Panther Junction VC and Rio Grande Village. Been there several times myself and have taken a photo of that very same tunnel.

Repost from the IB mag FB page.

Allen Hatcher is in need of a loaner motorcycle to finish the rally. His K12LT is toast. He's being towed to either Elk City or Oklahoma City. Due to the holiday, he has no chance to have the bike repaired and won't make the checkpoint w/o a loaner. Please call him at 703-405-9793 if you can help. Thanks

Our FJR photo friend, Tobie, shot some more pictures and said it was OK to share some here:

A red FJR with a rider being hugged by Voni Glaves, the nicest women in the world.

2015-07-03_17-07-11.jpg

Current leader, Eric Jewell, looks to be in a great spirit, has the magic score sheet in front of hm (that 8.5" x 11" piece of paper is the most valuable artifact of the whole rally). He's being scored by Jeff Earls--an IBR powerhouse with many Top 10s and podium finishes.

2015-07-03_17-08-28.jpg

ABQ has been having a lot of weather the past few days. Tobie got out and took in the scenery:

2015-07-03_17-07-38.jpg

This is actually what Jim Owen looks like the whole rally. I think he's a rally alien impersonating a human...blink Jim, blink!

2015-07-03_17-27-48.jpg

Tobie also has a lot of picture of bikes being service, duct taped, and tires changed. I looked for an FJR to include....but no luck! Hmm, I wonder if that means something?

Instead, a picture of an AE rider, our nutjob Josh Mountain, garbed with a cooling system and probably pumping Jeff about how many points Eric just got.

2015-07-03_17-09-55.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.