FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tricky bastages they is.
bike.gif

Dave

I can't believe this passed tech. Ram Mounts? Hose Clamps on the subframe? Unless something else is holding up the front of that tank, it's going to flop onto the seat pretty fast. Not a good load path.

IMG_3448.JPG

It matters not.... all riders were given the *entire* bonus listing for all three legs last night.
That's new isn't it? Kind of removes the world of the unknown of wondering what big bonuses are going to be in the next leg. Also time to plan each leg while off the clock in the beginning. Interesting...very interesting.
Not really. Although the riders have all the locations for the entire 11 days, they only get the details of what's required at any particular location, at the beginning of a leg for boni available for that leg only. Other data points are a mystery until the start of the leg they're on.

As far a sleep goes . . . bwaaaa haaaaa haa haa! Your a rider, you get your rally book sometime after 6 pm on Saturday and you have until 10 am the following morning to read through a rally book of 30 pages or so, evaluate bonus locations, travel time, distances, estimating amount of time to satisfy requirements for individual bonus locations, guess at fuel stops and . . . geesh, when am I going to sleep next and how much can I get? Solving the puzzle is the initial challenge followed by, can you and your steed . . . go the distance?

Great pics going up already and the write-ups are just super.

There's a URL created for start pics, unpopulated now, but going live soon I hope. I'll be looking for a video of the start to show up somewhere shortly after all the riders have left the lot!

https://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2015.cfm

Safe ride wishes to all . . .

Shuey

What they - and the public - don't know is what bonuses are available to them on what leg, time constraints for that bonus, and what they must do to satisfy bonus requirements.
Okay, even I am a bit confused now. I understand giving out the thumb drive with all the bonii. (That's the same as 2011 and 2013). But in past years the riders were also given the info at the banquet about what specific bonii are on the 1st leg so they could plan their route for when they leave the parking lot the next morning.

If they don't even know that info till the starting flag then the start today is more like the leg 2 and 3 starts where the packets are given out and then riders just go back to there rooms and then dribble out of the parking lot later as they each figure out their routes and get going.

Keeping in mind that I am sitting on the other side of the continent with no more info than anyone else here spectating on the web. But my guess is that the riders have the whole bonii list (GPX format). But they also have a paper list of what bonii are worth what points (and other salient info) sufficient for them to plan their route for the first leg (but not enough info to plan anything for the subsequent two legs). This is so that when the flag drops on Monday all the riders are straight out on the road. Again, just an educated guess on my part.

I am patiently waiting to find out more info on this....

- Colin

Man, I go away for a few days and now there are 9 or 10 pages of posts I need to read, official IBR reports to go through. SOPT links to check,......Good thing I sit at a desk all day and try to look busy most of the time.

What they - and the public - don't know is what bonuses are available to them on what leg, time constraints for that bonus, and what they must do to satisfy bonus requirements.
Okay, even I am a bit confused now. I understand giving out the thumb drive with all the bonii. (That's the same as 2011 and 2013). But in past years the riders were also given the info at the banquet about what specific bonii are on the 1st leg so they could plan their route for when they leave the parking lot the next morning.

If they don't even know that info till the starting flag then the start today is more like the leg 2 and 3 starts where the packets are given out and then riders just go back to there rooms and then dribble out of the parking lot later as they each figure out their routes and get going.

- Colin
Colin,

Thanks for the question. Sorry for any confusion.

Riders had their bonus location data ahead of time to load into their computers. The Rally Book for a leg is usually handed out at a riders only meeting after dinner, the night before the start for each leg. In the past that's been around 6 pm or so. Riders then disperse to their rooms to process and start their information assimilation, data entry and route planning . . . get some sleep, hoping they'll wake up on schedule, for the morning start.

Shuey

If the Rally Masters require Park Stamps then that limits the riders to about an 8 hour window each day for most parks, which is kind of head explody when you think about it.

I can't believe this passed tech. Ram Mounts? Hose Clamps on the subframe? Unless something else is holding up the front of that tank, it's going to flop onto the seat pretty fast. Not a good load path.
IMG_3448.JPG
I agree, There was another motorcycle with a tank being held with straps also. I will leave it up to the experts though.

Dave

Check out a top fuel car,the engine is mounted on saddles secured with T bolt hose clamps so the frame can flex. Jeff

I agree, There was another motorcycle with a tank being held with straps also. I will leave it up to the experts though.

Dave

In past ironbutt rallies fuel cells held down with ratchet straps passed tech inspection . As long as the cell was secure to its mounting location.

That's new isn't it? Kind of removes the world of the unknown of wondering what big bonuses are going to be in the next leg. Also time to plan each leg while off the clock in the beginning. Interesting...very interesting.
Not sure yet. Unless the point values of bonuses are not known or are variable over the course of the rally.....other rallymasters (e.g. George Z) have devised a variety of methods to make for even more competitive rallies.

There's something else here more than just static bonus values for national parks. ;)

And the "laptop storage locker" thing could kick in this morning. Laptops available long enough to load the waypoints into the GPS. Yank the laptops before the ride starts. Plan with maps!

Pure speculation naturally.

Check out a top fuel car,the engine is mounted on saddles secured with T bolt hose clamps so the frame can flex. Jeff
But I'm going to bet that the hose clamps aren't taking the load transferred from the engine to the frame.

The way that fuel cell is mounted, the ram mount is going to force the ball mounted to the subframe to rotate around the subframe, increasing the tensile force in the hose clamp.

Just wondering if anyone knows why the Spotwalla map https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=283 for the rally folks still shows them scattered all over ABQ intead of all in the parking lot at the Sheraton?
I've been wondering the same thing. Go time is 12 minutes from now, but they seem to be all over town.
If you click on a location away from the hotel, you can see the time of the location. Looks like those locations are from the past couple of days.

Good luck and safe travels to everyone.

Thanks to the powers-that-be who let a bunch of us crash here every other year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if anyone knows why the Spotwalla map https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=283 for the rally folks still shows them scattered all over ABQ intead of all in the parking lot at the Sheraton?
Maybe a secure zone has been setup for this map. If they're within a designated distance of a particular lat/long...it won't report a position. So, it shows the last reported position before entering that area. The premise is people lurking won't know exactly where you live since SPOT accuracy is down to a matter of feet, but with 80+ reports the feature may not be quite as effective.

Once the rally starts....in 5 minutes!!!!....I don't think this will be an issue anymore. :)

Reminder folks: Lot's of people are watching and the forum may drag for a while. PLEASE DON'T KEEP REFRESHING....LET THE PAGE LOAD IN ITS OWN DUE COURSE. IF YOU DO, YOU SLOW IT DOWN FOR EVERYBODY ELSE.

Let the 2015 IBR start, be safe, and be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.