FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plea for help!

We have an FJR coming in with possible bent front forks. The bike is ridable but not what you'd want to ride for 7,000 or so more miles. Looking for a Gen II that would be able to help with a possible fork swap this evening in Albuquerque.

If you're able to help please give me a call.

Derek - (218) 461-8411

Plea for help!
We have an FJR coming in with possible bent front forks. The bike is ridable but not what you'd want to ride for 7,000 or so more miles. Looking for a Gen II that would be able to help with a possible fork swap this evening in Albuquerque.

Derek - (218) 461-8411
Damn! With two FJR's sitting in my garage I wish I could help.

Also, I'm wondering if there is an opportunity for me to high 5 a rider or two heading toward Kingsport through me over the weekend. How would they feel about me following them safely behind for morale support and perhaps offer continued encouragement?
Interesting question...so what is proper "fan" etiquette just in case they are encountered while riding around on this side of the country. Is it best just to kinda stay in the breakdown lane and wave as they pass by? I probably couldn't keep up with them to ride along even if I wanted to....lol.
Eric I've read a ton of the past daily reports from the last few years IBR, unfortunately I don't recall where I saw the picture.....the "fan" was wearing a tutu on a highway overpass w a sign of encouragement for the passing riders, it was EPIC!!!.....I would take one for the team and do this but, my mom won't let ride more 50 miles from home by myself :) If you take the challenge, be sure to post the shot for us!

Interesting question...so what is proper "fan" etiquette just in case they are encountered while riding around on this side of the country. Is it best just to kinda stay in the breakdown lane and wave as they pass by?
That would be my guess. If I was an IBR rider, I would enjoy the wave from the shoulder...but not an unknown tag along...

If ya wanna support / cheer on riders in the Rally, you could do what this fella did for the 2013 IBR.

This still makes me laugh every damn time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Plea for help!

Derek - (218) 461-8411
I posted a link to this post in the general discussion forum in case there's someone local who isn't necessarily monitoring this thread (although with nearly 40,000 views, that's probably unlikely, but, you never know). May want to post something here if/when the plea is answered.

Estes Park is on the move. Hopefully previous poster nailed it, tire needed. But moving now and can make it without DNF. If that's possible, the penalty is worth it to keep going and finish what you started
smile.png

Plea for help!

Derek - (218) 461-8411
How does one bend a set of forks without damaging anything else. Good luck getting her fixed.

If ya wanna support / cheer on riders in the Rally, you could do what this fella did for the 2013 IBR.
This still makes me laugh every damn time...

LOL, THATS the fan I was talking about....sorry, I'm confused between tutus, bras and pom poms! Go for it Eric :) Sure hope the FJR w fork issues coming in gets help, I bet he will.....some of this stuff is tough to read!

Plea for help!

Derek - (218) 461-8411
How does one bend a set of forks without damaging anything else. Good luck getting her fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plea for help!

Derek - (218) 461-8411
eRepairables has an entire '07 up for auction tagged in Albuquerque, which means there's probably a motorcycle boneyard in near Albuquerque that is waiting for an offer to be made on the bike...

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/motorcycles/yamaha/fjr1300/2007-yamaha-fjr1300-12370124?utm_source=daily_updates&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=targeted&utm_campaign=yamaha+fjr1300

Maybe pass the hat around?

As far as rider sighting/encouragement etiquette, here's my feeling: Anything that doesn't slow me down or cause and unreasonable distraction. Waves, signs, thumbs up are all great. I really don't mind tag-alongs, within reason. If I'm on a surface street obviously looking for a bonus or something, probably best to not distract me. If I'm hauling it down I-40 for 400 miles and you want to give me a thumbs up, drop back & cruise with me for a while, then wave adios, I don't mind that at all. It's nice feeling like you've got a buddy for a while. Take this with a grain of salt, as not all riders feel the same way.

Another great way to show support is to dress up in a bikini top and wave pom-poms from a freeway overpass
lol.gif
That was George Zelenz, and he made a lot of weary riders very happy that day! He was watching the SPOT trackers, realized that a bunch of riders were headed his way, and quick threw together that great getup. Of course, somebody also called the cops on him and he had to explain himself while the officer had his hand on his weapon and was ordering him to keep his distance. Way to take one for the team, GZ!

Here are the Streets and Trips guesses at the drivetime zones at different offsets from the penalty time. This is with the speed sliders all max'd and obviously does not account for any stops or current conditions, so take it with a grain of salt.~snip~

The Above Animated
that is really cool.

Plea for help!

Derek - (218) 461-8411
eRepairables has an entire '07 up for auction tagged in Albuquerque, which means there's probably a motorcycle boneyard in near Albuquerque that is waiting for an offer to be made on the bike...

https://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/motorcycles/yamaha/fjr1300/2007-yamaha-fjr1300-12370124?utm_source=daily_updates&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=targeted&utm_campaign=yamaha+fjr1300

Maybe pass the hat around?
There is a boneyard on Coors Rd named Southwest Cycles (505) 877-5272. It is at 2623 Coors Blvd SW, which is about 14 miles from the Sheraton. Call and speak to Theresa, she is a saint! Tell her that Don the Iron Butt guy sent you!

Guys .... Something to bear in mind that is different for this Rally.

Points do not matter if you are aiming for Finisher status (and many are).

Points will only separate riders in the final standings. To be considered a Finisher, and get that three digit IBA#, what a rider has to do is collect 50 Parks and 25 States ... That is all.

So a gagillion penalty points will NOT affect finisher status, the only thing that will is a DNF or failure to complete the objective.

Peeps are awesome help'n out the rider's. Here's wahat a guy in Wy did yesterday to help out sportster rider parrothead.

Chris's brake problem was a bummer. I knew he had problems getting the screw that covers the rear pin so I had a spare caliper off a
project bike waiting in case we needed it. (Erica's 2005 XL that I am rebuilding, a.k.a. Ruth)

Did not need the caliper but no pressure after new pads, bled the crap out of it with a mighty vac and manual method but no go.
Pulled the rear master cylinder of Erica's bike and bled it but believe it or not that was bad also.
4a1.gif

Luckily I have one more rubber mount Sportster in the shop and that master cylinder was brand new, swapped out the m/c once again and it was good to go.
tour1.gif

The nearest HD dealers are all over 170 miles away and no way any other shops would have Sportster parts in stock.
Glad I could help him out on this bear of a ride.

Seems like every IBR, these words from the Smokey and The Bandit theme song come to mind:

We're gonna do what they say can't be done

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there

Status
Not open for further replies.