FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignacio posted: Or until Al runs it again in two years and ups the bar even further. I'm not sure this is his last.
Amen to that. I was in the parking area with our Canadian cousins who were chatting up Perry Karsten when Mr. Holtsberry pulled in to park his 2014. He was backing it in to a space, but uphill on an incline. I stepped over and offered to help push. He looked at me with a smirk, and said he'd be fine -- and he was.

He's got a hell of a lot of energy for an "older gentleman".
I don't think I saw an aux fuel tank on his FJR. Is that correct?

^^^^ He (Al Holtsberry) does not have an aux tank. Except for Nav stuff in the cockpit, it looks like a remarkably stock 2014 FJR.

I believe the Ninja 250 does not have an aux tank, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine texted me a bunch of pictures from one of the monuments today. I *think* one was the guy who got the note of encouragement "from the FJR Forum" - that was awesome class on his part. I'm sorry, I don't recall who it was to use your name. The other is Bob Lilley, very interesting character.

So I met Robeth and the kids this morning. They even did a practice cheer for us this morning, which was terrific. But seriously dude, you ain't raising that girl right if she isn't a Hello Kitty fan. I hope Tobie or Hobart got some shots of that - prepare to be amazed.

I would love to go stalk riders at the sites in my area, I just can't right now. But I'll be chcking Spot and here.

Normally I'd wonder what in the hell anyone was doing anywhere near DC during rush hour (or anywhere on I95 between Richmond and DC for that matter), but, there's a reason they're out there doing what they do and I'm sitting here doing what I do.

^^^^ He (Al Holtsberry) does not have an aux tank. Except for Nav stuff in the cockpit, it looks like a remarkably stock 2014 FJR.
I understand the Auxiliary tank benefits - efficiency, fewer stops ... on paper it all looks great. - my bladder is usually in the drivers seat regarding the number of stops.

STLI - Statue of Liberty National Monument. The Park is in NY, however, the picture gets taken from Jersey City, NJ. Looks like you can get credit for a state without ever entering the state.

STLI - Statue of Liberty National Monument. The Park is in NY, however, the picture gets taken from Jersey City, NJ. Looks like you can get credit for a state without ever entering the state.
or can you?

I'd want another site within the state to backup my claim.

I understand the Auxiliary tank benefits - efficiency, fewer stops ... on paper it all looks great. - my bladder is usually in the drivers seat regarding the number of stops.
I can pee anywhere.

I can't buy fuel at many of those places though...

;-)

Shane

And I have to reshare an anecdote about Chris McGaffin from 2007. It was his first IBR and first time in the United States.....he knew New York and LA were on other sides of the country, but said he was a little unsure about where all the states were.
He says in his Irish lilt as he's trying to puzzle out a route, "Matt. Help me out. Is Nevada near New Jersey?"

I looked at him, remained silently stunned, and blinked wide-eyed several times.

He said, "It's across the bleatin' country isn't it?"

I said, "Not all the way, but it's pretty far...."

Unfortunately he DNF'ed but took it all in stride saying at the end banquet, "Maybe it's because I'm from Ireland where a full lap of the country is a little less than 1,000 miles. I didn't realize how big the U.S. is. I thought it was about the size of the original 13 colonies." We bought him several drinks.
Years and years ago, I think it may have been this forum, actually, some folks from Europe were asking about sightseeing by motorcycle during the week they were planning on being here. They wanted to see EVERYTHING!!!! New York skyline, DC monuments, Grand Canyon, Golden Gate, Pike's Peak.... It was obvious they has NO CLUE how much geography they were talking about. Europe is SMALL!!!!

Baghdad, Iraq is closer to London than Seattle is to Miami.

So I made this Google Earth based map for them and posted it in that thread. Grabbed a screen shot of Europe, took the boundary lines and overlayed them on the US at the same scale.

The whole of western Europe fits between the Rockies and the Mississippi. Italy's boot is stomping on New Orleans while Denmark barely reaches Canada. So anytime your European buddies start asking about a riding tour of the states, share this and tell them they need a bit more than a week.

Europe-on-USA.jpg

or can you?

I'd want another site within the state to backup my claim.
The riders have been admonished at both checkpoints to make sure they match the provided photos as closely as possible to ease the scoring process and remove any question or doubt of the validity of the claimed bonus. If the sample photo of Statue of Liberty National Monument was taken from this vantage point and the given coordinates point to this location, then I would imagine this is acceptable.

^^^^^^^^ So you match the Statue of Liberty photo exactly, of a location in the state of NY, while actually standing in the state of NJ. Which state(s) can you claim?

[He guesses, which is always a bad idea ....] I'd say NJ, because you have not proven that you "visited" the state of NY.

According the WIkipedia, Liberty Island is in New York but the statue itself is in New Jersey. See the section of this article that discusses Federal Ownership. Ownership has always been in contention because the island is closer to NJ but claimed by NY.

In any case, I would think that if you take the picture from NJ, then it counts for NJ.

For those who have been through this, would a question like this be answered by the rally master as 'it's not my responsibility to interpret the rules for you' or would they give a straight answer?

Creative interpretation of the rules will usually or should I say definitely lead to disappointment and maybe even humiliation or ridicule for years to come. Enough said..

It does not look too good for me to see riders headed up for the stinky bait in Maine or Massachusetts.

From the rally book:

STLI Statue of Liberty National Monument Liberty Island New York, NY Coordinates: 40.6892 -74.0446 Daylight Hours Only 12 million immigrants passed through these now quiet halls from 1892 to 1954. Ellis Island afforded them the opportunity to attain the American dream for themselves and their descendants. Take a photo of the Statue from Liberty Park at the East end of Morris Pesin Dr., Jersey City, NJ. (N40.6938 W74.0583)

Note that the instructions specifically state that the photo is to be taken fro the East end of Morris Pesin Dr in Jersey City, but that the bonus counts for the state of NY.

According the WIkipedia, Liberty Island is in New York but the statue itself is in New Jersey. See the section of this article that discusses Federal Ownership. Ownership has always been in contention because the island is closer to NJ but claimed by NY.
In any case, I would think that if you take the picture from NJ, then it counts for NJ.
Every bonus n the Rally book is listed under the State that it applies to. There will be no mistake.

It's NY for the reasons Barb stated.

Uncle Hud, if I am unable to princess park, you are most welcome to push my bike for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.