FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am done with car tires, after unexpectedly replacing mine with a motorcycle tire and then riding some curvy roads. That was a stroke of good fortune. Nothing will ruin the handling of a bike like a car tire. People who say they never noticed a difference when they went darkside probably never leaned their bike.

Before this event is over - hell, for that matter, before this first leg is over - I'd be willing to wager that more than one CT rider will regret not having proper motorcycle tires on their bike. The amount of leaning and transitional forces at play at, say, Tail of the Dragon or other similar "road less traveled" is going to really suck down some rider calories.
weirdsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The public Spotwalla link from the IBR webpage only comes up blank when I click it. No group of riders as like the screen shot above. Am I missing something for/in settings or something else to see it?
IE10 won't render it correctly. Edge will. Probably Firefox & Chrome, too.

Just one run on NC28 into the Fontana Dam and then on to Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon) should cure the CT infection - I see a group at the dam on the last spotwalla refresh, and a few more in that area. This is in the heart of the EOM (Eastern Owner Meet) country.

Before this event is over - hell, for that matter, before this first leg is over - I'd be willing to wager that more than one CT rider will regret not having proper motorcycle tires on their bike. The amount of leaning and transitional forces at play at, say, Tail of the Dragon or other similar "road less traveled" is going to really suck down some rider calories.
weirdsmiley.gif

The public Spotwalla link from the IBR webpage only comes up blank when I click it. No group of riders as like the screen shot above. Am I missing something for/in settings or something else to see it?
IE10 won't render it correctly. Edge will. Probably Firefox & Chrome, too.
Firefox is showing it just fine

Michelin Man at the exit from the IBR parking lot: shameless marketing for the PR5?

Michelin Man at the exit from the IBR parking lot: shameless marketing for the PR5?
The leading Tire Engineer from Michelin Headquarters did a Tire Seminar for riders on Friday. Leave it to Rob "Muckeraker" Nye to ask them about the wisdom of car tires on motorcycles.
weirdsmiley.gif

The Lead Engineer simply spoke the truth - some of the CT guys wanted to try to argue with him. That didn't work out all that well.
rolleyes.gif
The Tire Engineer had facts, repeatable data, reams of overwhelming historical information. etc etc. The CT guys had anecdotal stories/experiences.

I wasn't there, but I understand from those who were that it wasn't much of a debate.
uhoh.gif

Any word on the the rider's pack? Is it just straight bonus points or are there themes as well?

Yeah what do you expect from those know it all tire engineers? Just a bunch of so-called "facts" that are really just fake news. Isn't Michelin owned by China?

Point of Interest: that KTM Adventure 1190 ridden by Merril Campbell of Utah is the very first KTM to enter an Iron Butt Rally.
punk.gif

We shall see if it's also the first ever KTM to *finish* an Iron Butt Rally.
I finished two Iron Butt Rallies and owned a KTM 950 and the KTM would not have been my first choice for a rally bike.

Looks like Hatteras may be a bonus and the caravan going south in Florida may be Key West. Both dead ends.

Mt. Evans road is a dead end. So is the road to Delicate Arch.

I am done with car tires, after unexpectedly replacing mine with a motorcycle tire and then riding some curvy roads. That was a stroke of good fortune. Nothing will ruin the handling of a bike like a car tire. People who say they never noticed a difference when they went darkside probably never leaned their bike.
Only 6 pages so far in this thread? Well let's fix that....
weirdsmiley.gif

I had several on my Tech Inspection team mention to me that there *seemed* to be fewer number of CT riders than in previous events.

I actually did a count - and they are correct. Less CT guys than usual, so I am assuming they are finally getting the word what a stupid concept it is to ruin handling by using a goofy-ass car tire.

There... that should provide motivation for some energetic discussion.
punk.gif
Fuck yeah!

weirdsmiley.gif
lol. You guys are a riot.

In this video, I pass the rider filming @ 5:25:

That's on Push Mountain Rd, aka AR341, south of Mountain Home, Arkansas.

Other roads I've leaned on:

Chief Joseph

Icefields

Cassiar

Only way you don't lean on roads like those is if you're really slow.

2018_07_Alaska_25.png

Looks like Hatteras may be a bonus and the caravan going south in Florida may be Key West. Both dead ends.
Mt. Evans road is a dead end. So is the road to Delicate Arch.
I'll go with Hatteras but my guess is the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet.

I don't remember the answer I think I knew the answer to this in 2017 but why are some spots green and most others orange? I thought green meant that they are OK and moving?

Condolences, Dan. Bill's bike was well setup. I suspect that moving a few personal things and the contents of the panniers would have been all that was needed. But those Tens are tall.
On the surface, yes, but in my mind it would be much more than this.

I was struggling very hard with this decision for hours, as Warchild is well aware.

Bottom line -- I couldn't bring myself to borrow another bike in this event. I had to run this IBR on my own bike that I customized - not just borrow a foreign machine, hand the keys back to the rightful owner and wash my hands of it when the IBR was through.

I realize that probably sounds ridiculous to some, but that's simply what I needed to have happen to be able to put a full effort into this event. Plus I knew I'd be worrying & dwelling on my toasted Tenere engine the entire time, and I couldn't possibly give this event the 100% it deserves because of it all.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Condolences, Dan. Bill's bike was well setup. I suspect that moving a few personal things and the contents of the panniers would have been all that was needed. But those Tens are tall.
On the surface, yes, but in my mind it would be much more than this.

I was struggling very hard with this decision for hours, as Warchild is well aware.

Bottom line -- I couldn't bring myself to borrow another bike in this event. I had to run this IBR on my own bike that I customized. I realize that probably sounds ridiculous to some, but that's simply what I needed to have happen to be able to put a full effort into this event. Plus I knew I'd be worrying & dwelling on my toasted Tenere engine the entire time, and I couldn't possibly give this event the 100% it deserves because of it all.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan
Thanks Dan for your explanation and sorry things didn't work out for you. That had to be one very hard decision to make. Hope to see you on the roster for the 2021 IBR

I realize that probably sounds ridiculous to some, but that's simply what I needed to have happen to be able to put a full effort into this event.
Not at all. I'm sure it was a tough decision.

Much respect for your efforts and for doing what you feel is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.