FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't belive it took me until Day 3 to log into FJR Forum for my IBR Fix..... Ever since I traded in my Kawasaki Concours for a BMW I have gotten old and soft ;)

I sold my FJR to Cav47 once I realized I was taking it too far off-road for safety and got a GSA. Still enjoy coming here for IBR coverage though. Thanks for letting me visit!

I'm just disappointed nobody jumped on the "putt-putt pink" comment.
grin.gif
LOL...shoot...when I first saw them sitting there on Saturday when the guys weren't around I sent a pic to the wife with the caption "his and hers ??"
Here's your his and hers identical Jim and Iris Willis of Greer

hishers.jpg

To add to the car tire debate....
If I remember correct weren't the early radial tires more rounded edge to edge than modern radial tires??

I wonder if that company that makes the tires for antique cars might have something that would work better for bikes? Ya know...something that would give the wear of a car tire but a profile more suited to motorcycles....

Just musings of a wandering mind.....

Really wish it would find its way back.
Not picking on Ray, but can we move the CT debate to NEPT? Start a new thread there if you want to continue the discussion.

What do you suppose the guy out on 93 in the Great Basin is thinking? Definitely a road less traveled

To add to the car tire debate....
If I remember correct weren't the early radial tires more rounded edge to edge than modern radial tires??

I wonder if that company that makes the tires for antique cars might have something that would work better for bikes? Ya know...something that would give the wear of a car tire but a profile more suited to motorcycles....

Just musings of a wandering mind.....

Really wish it would find its way back.
Not picking on Ray, but can we move the CT debate to NEPT? Start a new thread there if you want to continue the discussion.
Concur. Will ask people to self-police at this point and post there instead, but may end up moving posts if that doesn't work.

Thanks in Advance

The Management

Last edited by a moderator:
On behalf of the inexperienced spectators, thank you to the others for the strategy explanation. It helps a lot and make the experience more enjoyable.
I think it was the '17 IRB where there was a bonus location in DC but it you read the requirements closely enough you could bag the points from the bluffs overlooking the city and not actually waste time getting in an out. I recall reading the rider called in to confirm that their interpretation was correct and got a thumbs up.

Is this the kind of devious stuff the puzzle masters intentionally weave into their plots or was it just ingenious interpretation?

Outliers are always fun to watch in IBRs as they appear to be that one lonely ant that needs to group up with the other organized ones. But sometimes they're doing it on purpose and may see something we don't.
Am I remembering correctly that you were one of those outliers a couple of rallies ago - pushing for the finish?

Don’t have time to drill down this morning, but looks like riders may be headed to Nicodemus National Historic Site in western Kansas - on the list of top 10 least visited sites in the National Parks system. And a cool spot.
Does not appear that they were headed to Nicodemus, though can't say I can figure out what the bonus in west-central Kansas was. But there was something there that drew a lot of people!

What do you suppose the guy out on 93 in the Great Basin is thinking? Definitely a road less traveled
Great Basin National Park in Baker, Nevada. It is one of the least visited National Parks in the country. I went there last July to visit Lehman Caves....which were awesome and highly recommended.

Also...notice many are at Mount Rushmore right now. I am envious. I went to Devils Tower during the Iron Butt 5000 but I haven't been to Mt Rushmore yet.

Just realized that Terry and Lynda are on the Africa Twins. Can Lynda flatfoot that bike? It was pretty tall for me. Hope they finish well!

I think it would be fantastic to see someone attempt an IBR on a Honda Monkey.

I"m pretty sure I read a ride report many years ago by a guy who did it on a Honda scooter,I believe it was a 250 or smaller.His big worry was the CVT drive belt so he had it replaced at a dealer along with new tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.