FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone's just above San Luis Río Colorado, but hasn't crossed over the border (yet) according to SPOT. Curious to see if that happens and if others follow.

-------

EDIT: Nope, looks like they turned north.

Last edited by a moderator:
11th place guy did 5,291 miles in 3.5 days!
IBR's not a distance competition, I know, but 5,291 miles....

Look at the score card a little more critically. Pay special attention to people in higher placement and lower miles than those near (but below) them.

In the 2001 IBR:
Bob Hall arrived at 7:54. By a six-minute margin he narrowly missed any late arrival point deductions. Bob had just returned from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. He had elected to go for the big one million-point bonus offered in Sunnyside, Washington. He gambled on the weather. He won. He gambled that the BMW R1100RT would run without problems. He won. He knew that what he could control he would. And he did. Bob felt good. Extremely good. He won.

Sunnyside, WA to Prudhoe Bay to Madison, AL. Almost 7,400 miles
It was because of this that they names the Hall Road after Bob.

"If you choose to skip the bonus in Kennewick on Sunday, June 23, 2019"

Is this a checkpoint or a bonus? If it's a bonus, that means no penalty points, or to be more precise, no loss of arrival points if a rider chooses to skip it.

Am I reading this correctly? I know without seeing the rest of the rider pack it's speculation. I was trying to figure the points possibly missed if the checkpoint/bonus is skipped.

Ken2 is a CP and not a "bonus" as such.

T - 17.5 hrs and the guy in Yuma is 18,5 hrs away (per google maps) Spectating is a hoot. Amazing what these guys do,

I gotta think the leg 2 and 3 bonus info must be in the leg 2 packet or the riders thinking about skipping check-in #2 would be a big guess because they would not know what the leg 3 bonus point values are. Unless like in 1999 the "skip check point 2" challenge is an obvious 1st place gamble,
As noted, the 2003 red/blue pill choice only had vague comments from the RM to base the choice on. No additional bonus packs. You got 1 pack or the other based on your choice.

Is this a checkpoint or a bonus? If it's a bonus, that means no penalty points, or to be more precise, no loss of arrival points if a rider chooses to skip it.
I don't know the exact language and terms, but I believe Kennewick is still a requirement (unless you're one that fulfills the requirement(s) they alluded to). For all intents and purposes riders will still be coming to Kennewick the same time frame, taking a big nap like before, and heading the finish Monday morning at 4 a.m.. They just won't be scoring or getting a new packet (what they got at the Leg 2 meeting Friday is for the remainder of the rally)....that's the real difference with Kennewick this time.

Using Google to do the routing and math:

Kennewcik to Deadhorse = 57 hours 2793 miles

Deadhorse toGreenville, SC = 82 horse 4656 miles

Totals =139 hours 7449 miles

Hours available from 4AM PDT Friday 6/21 to 10 AM EDT Friday 6/28 = 171 hours (with 3 hours deducted for time change)

Rider has to average 53.6 mph for the 139 hours, which leaves them 32 hours over 7 days for everything else.

Doubt if Google Maps takes into account the condition of the Haul road. That could be a real time sucker if it is wet or in bad condition. then border crossings (4 times) summer traffic in BC can be brutal with all the motor homes. Fortunately south of Fairbanks it is fairly easy to maintain a good pace as the roads are not too curvy and sight distance is usually pretty good. Not to mention the scenery is unbelievable. And usually the graveled sections of road maintenance is well maintained and can usually keep your speeds similar to paved areas without being too risky. Just gonna be dusty if you catch traffic wrong.

The ones that have a car tire on the rear will be really happy with their choice, as risk of flats will be less on the haul road than for motorcycle street tires.

Panman and EscapeFJRist (riding Super Tenres) turned around at the last mountain pass before Prudhoe Bay due to weather about two weeks ago. Hopefully it has warmed up a bit more since.

The ride is doable, but extreme is an under statement.

IMG_20190616_131528-ANIMATION.gif
RenoJohn Misc IBR Stuff

Greenville Sunday, IBR participants group photo, ..with a little groove.
John, I'm not surprised by your good fun here. Keep going! Here's wishing much success and great adventures to all participants for sure!

Just saw this on the Advrider forum

Just posted by John Harrison - if anyone here is near or knows someone nearby with a Tenere that can help.

From IBR Rally Central:
The IBR 2up couple from the UK, the Wellers, had a blowout and before getting stopped, ruined the rear wheel on their Yamaha Super Tenere.
They are in central Oregon. If anyone in the area can help with a loaner wheel to get tgem back in the rally, it would be awesome.
Please post this to any other forums which might be able to assist.

Looks like lunch at Alice's Restaurant is pretty popular today. (Hope their service is faster than normal today)

One of the Northern riders looks like they went to Hyder, AK and up the back way through there. Can't wait to see what rally packets for this one to get so many to go onto Vancouver Island, and other to go way up North to Alaska/BC/Yukon

Wouldn't it be fun to be able to have a post-rally press conference with all of the riders and have all of these questions answered?

Some wheel problem on that Tenere in central Oregon.

Posted on the FB IBR page 1/2 hour ago:

Apparently they now have a welder looking at the wheel. Hopefully it can be repaired and they can get under way!
I don't know what the deal is with the wheel - trying to think why a welder would be involved in the repair...
weirdsmiley.gif

Dale,

Can you provide a link to the FB IBR page? I've done lots of searching and found lots of IBA related pages but none seem to be active or related to the Iron Butt Rally this year.

Thanks,

Andy

Apparently they now have a welder looking at the wheel. Hopefully it can be repaired and they can get under way!
I don't know what the deal is with the wheel - trying to think why a welder would be involved in the repair...
weirdsmiley.gif

Thanks Dale!

Man I'm jealous of the riders heading North! I even bought heated pants in preparation for an AK run!

Best,

Andy #548

2017-12th

2019-DNF-forest rat :(

Dale,

I had a failure on one of my Tenere front wheels. A lot of people don't realize that many aluminum wheel rims are an extrusion that is curved and welded together at one point on the radius. A cast rim is generally "one-piece". The Tenere rims are an extrusion welded together at one point.

In my case repeated rim bends and straightenings in the same spot led to the rim cracking from fatigue at the weld point where the heat affected zone is most prominent.

No choice but to replace the rim in my case.

Pretty expensive repair by the time the OEM rim and busted wheel got rebuilt by Woody's...

Best,

Andy

weirdsmiley.gif

Yellowknife? I have always ben intrigued by that place.

I don't see anyone in Colorado. Good thing. It's been snowing and up to 6 inches is expected tonight. Trail Ridge (Milner Pass) and Mt. Evans are both closed with plowing to resume Monday.

One thing I haven't seen addressed is when can the riders who are not skipping the second checkpoint leave?? Since there's no scoring and they already have the leg three bonuses what do they have to stay for? Can they leave right after they've checked in? Wait until the 0400 riders meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.