FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freaking forest rats ..... in the far left of Tyler's pic.

204704738_10159180512675325_6434771634608533919_n.jpg

I recall a red 2007 and a graphite 2015 as several of the non Gen 1s.  The first, eeksnake, rode a Tenere in 2019 until an unfortunate encounter with a truck in northern Cali and then had another forum member bring him his 2017 Top 5 for the final leg.
2020 x 1;  2016 x 1; 2015 x1;  2013 x 1;   2007x  1;   2005  x2

The rider in OR took a long time to get inland from the coast and slept in at Hines, OR at a hotel there.  It will be interesting to see what direction they go when they hit I-84.  I think they are out of the rally at this point.  Sure, it's possible to get to the IN checkpoint, but at this point, not really any reason to.  Something slowed them down.  Mechanical, medical, fatigue or simply biting off more than they could chew and choosing at plan that only made sense to them?  Maybe the daily report will give insights later.

The rider in OR took a long time to get inland from the coast and slept in at Hines, OR at a hotel there.  It will be interesting to see what direction they go when they hit I-84.  I think they are out of the rally at this point.  Sure, it's possible to get to the IN checkpoint, but at this point, not really any reason to.  Something slowed them down.  Mechanical, medical, fatigue or simply biting off more than they could chew and choosing at plan that only made sense to them?  Maybe the daily report will give insights later.
It looks like they were likely the ones mentioned in the latest report.

https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/IBR_2021_Day_3.htm

The OR rider left at noon eastern with 2000 miles to go after a presumably full rest bonus.  With most of the trip Out West, it’s doable*- in fact whoever got to Buffalo last night did exactly that mileage in 34 hours. 

* I am not saying could do it, mind you…

Google maps says it's about 1400 miles (23 hours and change) from Key West to Carmel, IN.  Bet it is still a sucker bonus, but we shall see...

I don't think the OR rider is Peter Green.  He wouldn't have been beat up by the winds on the OR coast.  That rider has ~30 hours with the time change and it's a 27 hour ride per G Maps.  He's not making that kind of time.  I suspect the rider is heading to Provo to pick up a trailer or heading home, where ever home may be.  Kind of interesting that no mention of the OR was made, even though that rider sticks out like a sore thumb as badly as the FL rider.

The bike that appears to be at a Days Inn near Missoula is not in a good position to make it to CP1 before the penalty window. And shaky on making it before that window closes.

I don't think the OR rider is Peter Green.  He wouldn't have been beat up by the winds on the OR coast.  That rider has ~30 hours with the time change and it's a 27 hour ride per G Maps.  He's not making that kind of time.  I suspect the rider is heading to Provo to pick up a trailer or heading home, where ever home may be.  Kind of interesting that no mention of the OR was made, even though that rider sticks out like a sore thumb as badly as the FL rider.
Could be David Uhl and the deer strike. Not that I would know anything about running into deer in the Oregon Cascades near Eugene. 

Whomever they are, heading to Atomic City for the experimental breeder reactor #1 bonus is not a good move right now.  Maybe they lost track of what day it is?  This rider was sleeping last night, so I don't think it was David Uhl, but that's just a WAG.