FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sat next to a scratch at the banquet last night. He hit a deer crossing Missouri on his way to the start. He flew out anyway crutches and all just to be there. 😃
I saw him at the start on the crutches. Must of been tough for him to watch those folks leave without him. Especially after at the work he put in just to be in the rally.

Believe that's correct. Sucks their family situation didn't play out as planned as we would have had Marty, his daughter Lisa, her husband Steven, and her daughter Molly all traveling together on 3 bikes.
I agree, a 3 generation IBR would have been quite an accomplishment.

So with less bonus locations this year will we see more of this - many riders seemingly on the same path?

Or maybe cause we are only 27 hours out? 

51265099909_9756cb4513_m.jpg

Practically as slick as a stock 'Busa and, without a doubt, the most aerodynamic, purpose built, LD bike to every grace a rally starting line. Mike claims 44mpg at 'rally nominal'. 

I guess I got a little excited over it as Ignacio called me a 'fan boy'. 
Perfectly said, I'm in agreement.  I took a look at those LEDs in the mirror and it took close-up inspection to see the bondo or epoxy work he did to make it look gooood.

And maybe i called you a fan boy to deflect how fan boy I am....too. It was the most impressive new LD strategy I've seen in a long time.  Usually you see a farkle or two, but this thing was a whole new bike-farkle....with even more new farkles on it.

11 days standing on pegs? Er...

IBR folk seem obsessed with BMWs regardless of their IBR history of leaving people stranded.
I'm an IBR folk and not obsessed with Beemers, final drives or being stranded...unless I have no bars of service.....then I'm more stressed than obsessed.

You're an IBR folk too! Are you obsessed?  Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

According to the Day 1 Flash Update, defending champion Wendy Crockett got something lodged in her rear wheel that locked it up. From the picture of the ruined tire I'd guess she had one hell of a moment keeping her FJR upright! Fresh underwear maybe?

Sounds like she was saved by a really good shop in Blackfoot, Idaho that got her on the road quickly and she's back on the hunt.

Notice her license plate #?  "IRNBUM" That took some skill to ride that out. From a new tire to practically nothing in seconds. I don't know how she made it 40 miles on the remains of that tire.

From following Spotwalla it looks like here must be a bunch of Boni along highway 200 from Montana to Minnesota, then the tracks deviate north up the Iron Range... Lotsa history up there.

If I could figure out how to embed a Google Photo image I'd share a screen grab instead of text. 

A third of the field this year is on a BMW of one flavor or another.  GS's and GL's dominate.  FJR's are a distant 3rd.

I have but can't find the 2017 and 2019 spread sheets but in the 2015 event a bit more than a third of the bikes were Beemers and half of those were GS's.  GW equaled GS's in numbers followed closely by FJR1300 - 14 entered in 2015.  Half that many this year.

BMW

R1200GS

R1200RT

K1600

R1250RT

R1250GS

K1300

F850GS

Honda

GL1800

ST1300

GL1500