FJRForum Official 2021 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the pre-start pictures I noticed a guy with a Hoka Hey vest. I assume he is a veteran of the Hoka Hey Rally. Does anyone know which rider that is and how he’s doing?

In the pre-start pictures I noticed a guy with a Hoka Hey vest. I assume he is a veteran of the Hoka Hey Rally. Does anyone know which rider that is and how he’s doing?
In fact I do. I met Dan Duvall briefly at the start. He's a new convert to the FJR having ridden a Harley prior. I think he's from the Washington D.C. area. He's 35th after the first leg.

https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/Rider_Pages/82.html

In fact I do. I met Dan Duvall briefly at the start. He's a new convert to the FJR having ridden a Harley prior. I think he's from the Washington D.C. area. He's 35th after the first leg.

https://ironbutt.com/ibr2021/Rider_Pages/82.html
There are a few Hoka Hey riders in this rally. I know Ken Andrews and I believe Chris Hopper also may be more.

Interesting.  Aside from the bonus in Florida, there's nothing way off the path between checkpoints (well, relatively speaking--this is The Rally...).  Of course, that doesn't count the list of bonuses available all eleven days.

I'd rather drop this in spread sheet form but that didn't go so well last time.  (Thanks for cleaning up my mess Ignacio!) Given time I'd like to map all the riders to see how their routes differed but looking at points/stop Mike Brooke is killin' it.  That Busa must be pretty comfortable.  He made the fewest bonus stops in the Leg 1 top 10.  No telling how many Wendy missed out on with her adventure.

Jim Owen 27948 points, 26 bonus locations, 1075 points / bonus, 0 points behind

Mike Brooke 27653/20/1383/295

Ken Meese 27211/30/907/737

Steve Griffin 26892/23/1169/1056

Wendy Crocket 26796/26/1031/1152

Steve Gallant, Ben Ernst, and Ken Aman are all tracking similar to Steve Griffin

1st leg statistics are pretty interesting. For example Jim Saul in 55th place covered more miles than 52 riders who scored higher. Penalty or mistake I wonder.

Edit: Ahhh... the Florida rider....

• Saw on the Spotwalla this morning that a small number of riders - about 4 or 5, were in Mound, MN, which isn't far from my house (I'm actually not at home this weekend, but whatever.)  Based on the location where they all were, I have no idea what the bonus was. It was a dead end street by a little league ballpark.

The only thing Mound is known for, is that is where Tonka toys was founded.

Ok, now that I read through the first leg list, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Tonka trucks.

1st leg statistics are pretty interesting.
They are interesting.  For instance riders leaned heavy on the rally bonuses.  Excluding tracking, rest, and call in bonuses there were a total of 1148 bonus stops made by the 70 riders whose score cards are available (one bad link).  Nearly 2/3 of those (718) were rally wide bonuses.  On average the Top 10 riders were half to 2/3 rally bonus stops, except Mike Brooke.  Of Mike's 17 bonus stops 15 were rally.

Since they leaned heavy on rally bonuses you can also get an idea of the riders routes based on the bonus codes - assuming the RM didn't throw some curve ball by referring to a NE bonus as AZ.  It looks like Mike picked up everything from UT west to CA then across the SW and southern states to FL and GA then north through KY.  He's got the mid Atlantic, NE, mid (incl IN curiously enough) and upper mid west an NW to play with.  He logged more miles than anyone doing so.  Can he keep it up?

Jim Owen picked UT then turned north picking up NV, ID, OR, and WA before heading across MT, the Dakotas, MN, and WI before turning south to pick up IL and IN on the way to Carmel.  So Jim has pretty much the NE and everything south to play with.  Jim posted the second most miles - 4600.  Does he have a history of maintaining that pace?

This is gonna be fun to watch.  I can't post the spread sheet but IM me if you want a copy.  I'll email it or post it somewhere.

Don't know if this is related to the other post requesting a tire in the Midwest, but if it is, it seems a solution is close at hand. I offered assistance in Madison, Wisconsin. 

Who has a rear tire that can get it to the Marriott Space center in Huntsville tomorrow?  A FJR rider needs a tire.  Not sure if he will get it sorted before getting to the checkpoint.  PM me if you have options.
The enthusiasm to help is palpable!  As its covered in this thread already and I asked in the very first post--let's let's keep this thread about the rally analysis.

Thanks.

The Management

Apologies, I was watching the various IBR threads, but didn't think to check the rest of the forum to see if it was covered before I posted.  Mea culpa.

Jim Owen picked UT then turned north picking up NV, ID, OR, and WA before heading across MT, the Dakotas, MN, and WI before turning south to pick up IL and IN on the way to Carmel.  So Jim has pretty much the NE and everything south to play with.  Jim posted the second most miles - 4600.  Does he have a history of maintaining that pace?
As the ONLY two time winner of the IBR (2009, 2017) I'd say that yes he does have a history of maintaining that pace!