FJRForum Official 2023 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a 5:45am PDT Spotwalla shot, we are already seeing three main trains forming, another good job by the Routemaster! (y)

Riders #156 and #123 appear to be highly motivated.

1687438068013.png

I predict it's going to be extremely bad for the rider who did this.

Out of curiosity, what would the consequences be for that rider? A severe tongue-lashing? Point penalty? Public humiliation? Disqualification? Assuming that that rider makes it to the finish, being obligated to wear a dunce cap at the finishers banquet and having to sit in a corner?

Or something worse?

Out of curiosity, what would the consequences be for that rider? A severe tongue-lashing? Point penalty? Public humiliation? Disqualification? Assuming that that rider makes it to the finish, being obligated to wear a dunce cap at the finishers banquet and having to sit in a corner?

Or something worse?

Well, I don't know what they will apply in this situation, I am sure Staff will address it as they see fit.

I might speculate that this will result in a formal rule being spelled out in the next edition of the Official IBR Rules, and it'll likely include any penalties, which should be rightfully harsh. This particular action cost the flag owner most of his Leg 1 efforts. All of that might have been avoided if the flag was left undisturbed - just not good headwork of the rider who removed it.

Well, I don't know what they will apply in this situation, I am sure Staff will address it as they see fit.

I might speculate that this will result in a formal rule being spelled out in the next edition of the Official IBR Rules, and it'll likely include any penalties, which should be rightfully harsh. This particular action cost the flag owner most of his Leg 1 efforts. All of that might have been avoided if the flag was left undisturbed - just not good headwork of the rider who removed it.

Gotchya.

I was wondering what happens / happened to the rider responsible for the social media posts.

But for that rider who left his flag behind ... most of his leg 1 efforts gone? OUCH!

I might speculate that this will result in a formal rule being spelled out in the next edition of the Official IBR Rules, and it'll likely include any penalties, which should be rightfully harsh.
This different, but related issue takes me back to 2009 in the alternate scenario where I "lost" my flag and purposely didn't try and find it in the least. I thought I saw an advantage to using the alternate method where I included my face in the picture and didn't have to much around with the tedious details of pulling out my flag, hanging it in windy conditions, making sure the numbers were visible, remembering to take down the flag, and repacking it.

I was a MACHINE the last two legs on snagging bonuses quickly and pretty smug with myself at the scoring table.

....until I was reminded it was it was a 5000 point penalty to not produce my flag and looked really confused. "Huh?", I think was my decisive response.

Well, I stuck with my lost flag, ate the 5000 points, and placed 13th...instead of 9th. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I'll know next time.

Other than an eye-roll from Lisa and totally deserved, 'That was dumb.' comment--my faux pas didn't result in any rule changes or big consternation by rally staff. It was all me being dumb.

And the flag? As I got up from the scoring table all done, I suddenly found my flag in my pocket! What are the odds? ;)

Lange’s Cafe is a good guess. I’m thinking Matt’s Bar, home of the Juicy Lucy is another bonus location.
those folks heading southwest are going to be fried meat on a stick in that heat.

the ones approaching Oklahoma City look a little further away than the one in Missouri....

but you never know with the delays. I've seen delays of as much as 45 minutes with people who have Garmin inReach
I want to circle back to this if it's OK? You know your stuff and I *think* I know my stuff too. But this one, barring somebody dredging up a statement quote from an actual event organizer, I've come to the increasing conclusion that there isn't a special IBR induced delay on the tracking page. There may still be delay on either the rider's end transmitting and getting through their provider, maybe a refresh rate on Spotwalla for all the system might not be in sync, but I don't think there is a settable thing where there adding a delay.

In fact, I just read this on one of the official reports.

Despite several riders looking like it might be close getting to Checkpoint 1 in time on the Spotwalla tracking screen, there was only one rider who checked in after 8:00pm, receiving a few penalty points. He will be riding Leg 2, along with the rest of the competitors.

I'm sure they have a different view with more detail for individual riders, but I think they're seeing the same positional data at the same time as we are.

I also noticed in 2013 myself that my personal tracking page matched the aggregate public page all the time...as long as both were refreshed at the same time from my browser while riding the rally.

Anyway, I throw that out and see if it stick?

I want to circle back to this if it's OK? You know your stuff and I *think* I know my stuff too. But this one, barring somebody dredging up a statement quote from an actual event organizer, I've come to the increasing conclusion that there isn't a special IBR induced delay on the tracking page. There may still be delay on either the rider's end transmitting and getting through their provider, maybe a refresh rate on Spotwalla for all the system might not be in sync, but I don't think there is a settable thing where there adding a delay.

In fact, I just read this on one of the official reports.

I'm sure they have a different view with more detail for individual riders, but I think they're seeing the same positional data at the same time as we are.

I also noticed in 2013 myself that my personal tracking page matched the aggregate public page all the time...as long as both were refreshed at the same time from my browser while riding the rally.

Anyway, I throw that out and see if it stick?
I'd agree with this. I don't think there's a delay. I've had the privilege of having a few personal spot pages in past IBR's, and I've always found them to match up pretty closely with the group page.

Is there info on instructions for the bingo card bonus theme posted?
Pure speculation by me-

It looks they are mostly fast food. Some local (Pal's Sudden Service, N3), some national (Waffle House, N2, Taco Johns, O5).

To win Bingo, you need to fill a row, column or diagonal. I doubt it's that simple. I wonder if it needs to be food types like biscuits, tacos etc.

One of the reasons I love this game is guessing what the hell is going on.

Pure speculation by me-

It looks they are mostly fast food. Some local (Pal's Sudden Service, N3), some national (Waffle House, N2, Taco Johns, O5).

I think you're on to something. I was wondering why a few trackers stopped here in little-old Marysville at the White Castle. Looking at the scores for a few of the front-runners after Leg 1, White Castle is G5. It will be interesting to see the bingo listing once this is all wrapped up.

And if you've never had the pleasure of eating at White Castle, I am personally fond of their Gastro-Intestinal-Distress Special, but that's just me.

Or, as the saying goes, it's an acquired taste.