FJRForum Official 2023 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Amarillo and Kearney ones appear to be moving and on the nail-biter for penalty points are not when you do divide the miles needed to get back by the number of hours left. The AZ one is one of those that one wonders if it's a battery gone out, not reporting for some other reason, or one we'll read about retiring tomorrow.
Sure hope it's the former for AZ bike. Amarillo and Kearney are certainly the ones to watch now. Getting exciting!!

It's about 8:30 and it looks like they be leaving already?

How do the checkpoints work? When do they hand out the next leg's bonus list?

I believe Leg 3 bonus lists will be handed out at the 4:00 a.m. riders' meeting on 25 June, forcing them to get at least some rest after being scored for Leg 2.

I'm betting you're fairly zoomed in on Centennial. Just because reported dots aren't within a hundred yards of the hotel doesn't mean they're moving. For example, the one 2/3 of the way to Denver may have reported there, but then arrived to the CP before their unit transmitted a new position with the next "heartbeat". And then and then turn off their unit before it could report.

Even if not, that person at the time I type this is still not time-barred from the checkpoint. They have 23 minutes until they are DNF.

I believe all (or almost all) the riders at the hotel at this point, going through scoring, and some even in bed by now. They're not leaving.

They'll get their next packets at 4 a.m. Sunday Mountain Daylight Time and start trickling out after that. This will be the last leg and will be the longest leg...5 days long.

Fascinating to read the reports and especially funny to see the transcriptions of call-ins. Whew.

Of course, Pie Town New Mexico was a bonus, 3257 points.

The big one looks like the Santa Monica pier at 16431 points.

Watching riders at 2 a.m. my time and seeing that with a bit over 4 days left a couple of folks appear to be headed to Alaska after having crossed into Canada, a third crosser going around the lakes near Thunder Bay, and a particularly industrious bee heading back towards the northeast with purpose. The final leg is always intersting....

I did some rough calculations for the guys going to AK. I guessed at Fairbanks - don't know the actual stop. Denver to Fairbanks to Pittsburgh according to google maps is 114h. They have roughly 5d 5h which means they have to average about 21h per day. Almost 7k miles. That is quite the ride.

There is a town up their called Chicken Alaska, could that be the destination, close to a 7,000 mile ride from Denver and that doesn't include any other bonus side trips on the way back to Pittsburgh, I don't think their headed their though unless he makes a turn on highway 49 to head towards Dawson and gets on highway 97 to Chicken...

Last edited:
Anyone know where the discussion on the IBR has gone to?
Number of replies to the tracking threads have gone down every year.
There's barely any replies to the one thread on ADVRider.
And no one really posts to the LDRider list anymore.

Are people losing interest in the IBR or has the discussion just gone elsewhere?

1687785732284.png

There is a town up their called Chicken Alaska, could that be the destination, close to a 7,000 mile ride from Denver and that doesn't include any other bonus side trips on the way back to Pittsburgh, I don't think their headed their though unless he makes a turn on highway 49 to head towards Dawson and gets on highway 97 to Chicken...
If Chicken is their destination, that saves them 4h from my calculations. And if their are going there, according to Wikipedia, the population is 7, so you better bring everything you need...

Anyone know where the discussion on the IBR has gone to?
Number of replies to the tracking threads have gone down every year.
There's barely any replies to the one thread on ADVRider.
And no one really posts to the LDRider list anymore.

Are people losing interest in the IBR or has the discussion just gone elsewhere?

View attachment 4804
You're right- Looking at the "similar threads" the number of postings and views has declined with every IBR, and declined much faster than motorcycle sales. Has the discussion moved to social media, is the IBR getting stealthier, or are people losing interest in LDR?

I had a hard time finding info on this ibr, I know the IBA site has a private forum now that they charge $40 for, maybe that's where all the inside info is, don't know but all the forums I usually went to have next to nothing this year, thankfully this site is still going strong...

IBA has had a forum for a long time, and if they charge for it they’ve been forgetting to charge me since about 3 years before I joined the IBA

maybe people are losing interest, but the pace of new IBA numbers seems to be going faster rather than slower

Maybe there are just a lot more ways to communicate as a group?

Regrading the decline of coverage here on IBR: Same reasons as shared in the past.....it's on FB more now. Beyond the IBR, dedicated forums have been declining for years to social media.

There are actually more riders this year in the rally! Also, they've held details of the rally more closely and for longer than in the past...which has been a long-term trend in the IBR. Case in point, I usually have direct access to a half dozen close friend riders or so and literally only have one this year.

If anything, I think they're focusing even more on the riders of the event versus worrying about us non-riders....which is just fine. At the same time, their reporting on the website has improved with more than just a daily report. There are more details being shared by staff putting on the event this year.

It's just different. Things change.

Last edited:
Boondoggle I know about the regular IBA forum, they do have a private forum that is pay to play, goes against what the IBA always believed but the top riders wanted something better so IBA gave them what they wanted...Your just on the free forum which for this rally has 3 pages of posts....

Below is a QUOTE from the IBA forum, I took out the guys name as I quoted his post without his permission..

Hello Ira,
I've been accepted to compete in the 2023 IBR. In Lisa's email, it says I should have access to a special Private Forum. Can you help me find and access the Private Forum? (And, I am a Premier Member)
Thanks,

If Chicken is their destination, that saves them 4h from my calculations. And if their are going there, according to Wikipedia, the population is 7, so you better bring everything you need...
I've been to Chicken , although a small town there is a restaurant , gas station and a small store. Denver to Chicken, amazing!

Latest posts