Foam Replacement Inside Right Fairing 2015 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyPecker

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Have found some forum notes regarding foam on the left side near oil filter, so answer here may be similar, but it's a lot of foam on the right, and I'd like to put it on the new one if possible. On a 2015 FJR ES, I bought a new right lower fairing (the main one) and used the GREAT thread pictorial description here to remove the old fairing (damaged from a dead stop drop!), and noted that all this dark foam between the fairing and the engine is glued/attached to the fairing inside. I kind of assume it's there to stop rattling or something, but it's not on any parts diagram I've seen from online OEM parts sources and it must be some kind of "special" foam since it is in contact with pretty hot parts of the engine and doesn't melt away. Any advice on this stuff, If I put the new right fairing on without the foam, any problems expected? Is there a source or spec for new replacement foam? Thanks for the input! Dan
PS: To buy a new "1300" Yamaha emblem for the new fairing part, since it's not included, is around $50 just for that little emblem! Could the old one be somehow detached and re-glued to the new fairing? If it got the old one off without damaging it, what would you use to glue to the new one?

I think if you look at the Cowling2 parts diagram, it's the 'damper' items 10 thru 16.......... added in GenII to prevent airflow past the rad, heat management.

Typically to remove an emblem, I'd use a hair dryer to heat it up and carefully pry away. Heat gun might be too hot, so use one of those carefully. You could also try pouring a little naptha (lighter fluid) behind it, which will tend to soften the adhesive. Another technique which works on foam tape is to see-saw it off with some nylon fishing line or dental floss. To glue it back on, I'd use 3M molding tape, or if that's too thick, use some RTV gasket maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the fairing emblem, unless you are enamoured with that advertising, why put it on? You can remove the other one using RayZerman19's suggestion. Your bike will go faster with less wind drag and curious folks at the gas stations will ask you how you like the BMW!!

Many thanks for great suggestions guys. The foam won't be a problem now, I might even be able to cut that stuff off and re-use it. And yeah, the emblem is kinda unnecessary, but since all that plastic covers the engine, I just like people to know it's not a 650 under there! Cheers.

That foam is just like the stuff used to seal air conditioning units in window openings and can be purchased at most hardware stores. So if you can't salvage it, just go get some. It is the same stuff we have been using as the "heat fix" on Gen I bikes since 2003. https://www.fjrowners.com/forum/messages/6/10235.html?

Yamaha sometimes learned from the owners, you think?

10240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: